3 week old kitten - big swollen lymph node

kittenkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey everyone. I am fostering a 3 week old kitten. I took him to the vet a few days ago because of diarrhea. he was prescribed metronidazole, given pyrantel pamoate, as well small dose of as kaolin pectin daily.
I waited on the kaolin pectin until today because I was worried to give it to him with the other med, but I gave him .1ml a few hours ago. about 30 minutes ago I noticed the right side of his jaw is very swollen. it's where his lymph node is and it seems tender to the touch. it's really quite big. he also seems like he doesn't want to eat now, maybe it hurts to swallow.
I'm calling the vet tomorrow to ask about it and take him in but just wondering if anyone has any idea what it could be?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the kitten teething? Has he been bitten by another cat or injured himself? He may need an antibiotic to bring down the swelling. Can you get him to the vet today?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittenkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's only 3 weeks old so his teeth might be coming in. The bump is getting bigger and he won't eat. I'm going to try to get him to the vet today. He's on metronidazole for diarrhea right now currently for the past 4 days

kittenkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure how he could have injured himself. He's isolated by himself too. Sometimes he will claw crazily when I bottle feed him, maybe he scratched himself while doing so but I don't see anything

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you get him to the vet? What did they say? This is unusual for such a small kitten. Is he doing better?

It’s very important that he eat often, so I hope he is being treated. Please update.

kittenkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took him to the vet. They really don't know what it is, it wasn't a lymph node or infection. They gave him some steroids and it went down, I think it'll be gone soon. He's also eating normally again so I think all is well for now. I'm supposed to go again next week for a follow up too.