3 week old foster, Christopher Robin

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 3 week old foster kitten, Christopher Robin, and his mom Squiggly. He is 3 weeks old today. I have noticed over the last couple of days he is spending more time away from Mom. I often find him currled up in the corner of the cage asleep. If he cries, she cries back & takes care of him. I'm just wondering if this is normal for 3 weeks? I've read differnt development time lines. I will say he was about a week & a half before his eyes even started to open. We have had other kittens at the shelter that opened right at 7 days, so I was a little supprised it took him longer. He is an only kitten & I am sure this is his mother's first kitten. I've never fostered a new born in my home before, so I'm just wondering if him spending time away from Mom is normal at this age. I am also wondering when I should start offering him some wet food? Again, I've read differnt time lines. Some say 3 weeks some say 4 or 5. Thanks for the help.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would monitor his weight, my momma cat mostly stayed with the babies until 4 weeks, then it turned to her feeding them, them falling asleep and her sneaking away. I never formally introduced wet and dry to them, at like 27 days old a few started stealing food from mommas bowl so I started offering them 'real' meals, some took to it faster than others. The worst that can happen is you offer it and he won't eat it.

Leslie