3 Week Kitten Not Gaining Weight

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I told you she would learn to suckle the syringe! :)

All sounds great! Thank you for not giving up.

And yes, they do choose nipples and stick only with those.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is continuing to feed well, and put on weight (not as much as I would like, nor anywhere near as much as her brother) I just hope that won't affect the rest of her life.
She has always been a rapid breather, which the vet thought would calm as she got bigger, but no sins of it yet.
Will continue to do what I can for her. We have called her Hope :-)

Gstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sad to report she didn't make it. :-( she was doing well, then started to refuse food, became quite solitary not cuddling with mum or brother, we found her out of the nest a few times. Vet appointment made but too late. :-(
Hardest thing is seeing the mum upset :-(

Gstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Due to some extraordinary circumstances my cat unexpectedly had 2 kittens recently, but sadly the runt, who was born with several problems didn't make it.
I'd appreciate any tips to help mum with her grief, and the remaining kitten who is now solitary. Thanks

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Condolences on losing a baby - mama kitties definitely take it hard. You could consult your vet about her being a wetnurse and if approved, reach out to a rescue to see if they have any tinies that need nursing & your mother cat may be able to help out with that.
I would add confidence building in addition to lots of extra love and attention and extra treats. You could ask her to learn to "give me your paw", which is a trick that she can perform even while nursing. And extra grooming with a toothbrush or comb, using small strokes mimicking a cat's licks, are often appreciated since that is how cats comfort each other. And please don't be shy about verbalizing with her - she needs reassurance from you that you share her grief and that you are there to protect her and her remaining baby. :petcat::hugs:

Gstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was reminded of this thread and thought would update. Although one kitten didn't make it the other one did and thrived. He turned out to be a she, and she is the most wonderful and precious kitten which I am so lucky to be owned by. Thanks so much to all who replied to me last year it was a stressful time and so grateful to have advice that I recieved 20190202_113410.jpg