3 Shelter Kittens Adopted But 1 Getting Really Chubby

Grinkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am new to the forums and had a question about my chubby 6 month old kitten. I've had her and her two brothers since 4 weeks old. They were very sick when I got them. Kennel cough, viruses, upper respiratory infection. Every day was a battle to keep them alive. After 8 weeks they were better and spayed and neutered and I adopted all 3. I must have been crazy to take on 3 kittens but we are at the 6 month mark and everyone is happy and healthy.
My main concern is my females weight. She has always been a small compact cat but has become a bit of a brick. She's developed some rolls and a fat belly. The boys eat more than her but are taller and longer.
I have them on blue wilderness wet kitten food. 1 can divided 2x a day and 1 cup 2x a day of nutro kitten dry, iams kitten dry, and Purina one hairball formula mixed together. I'm slowly weaning to more adult formulas. I just worry bc they had such a bad start in life and no mommy or mothers milk.
I also have a Bengal and a Maine coon who free feed and are in very good shape. Could it be that she's the only female and that she should be fed a little differently bc of body shape and spay?

Attachments

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. It could just be her breed. Kittens don’t usually get overweight. I would maybe ask the vet next time ur in for a visit. Perhaps it is an underlying medical issue.

Do you have any birds eye view pics of her standing or standing from the side?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grinkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hard to get 1 of her standing. She has 2 modes. Laying around or on fire lol. This is the best I have. She has a vet visit in the next few weeks.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you feel her ribs? There should be slight padding over them, but no difficulty feeling them. If there's a thick pad or you can't feel them, then she is overweight. Though as Neo_23 Neo_23 said, it's unusual for a kitten.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she just has a cobby body shape, not fat. It would be rare for a kitten that age to be overweight (as you say, she's very active!). Some kitties are just thicker than others :D.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also think it’s just her breed and body shape. Good idea to try feeling for her ribs when she’s lying down.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks just like my little female! I call her my munchkin, she has short legs and tail and a cobby body. I wouldn't worry about her weight at all until she is over a year old. Some cats, even in the same litter have different body shapes. Your boy to the left has the long lean look of a siamese breed. She looks healthy to me!

Grinkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She looks just like my little female! I call her my munchkin, she has short legs and tail and a cobby body. I wouldn't worry about her weight at all until she is over a year old. Some cats, even in the same litter have different body shapes. Your boy to the left has the long lean look of a siamese breed. She looks healthy to me!

Grinkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I call her muffin. She really is shaped like a brick with short little legs and tail. Even at 6 weeks old I was singing brick house to her.
The boy to the left is her brother. He is way taller and much thinner. They may have Siamese in them from somewhere. She's cross eyed and very vocal. As a foster mom, I have no idea where the litters people bring to the shelter come from.
Does your cat have a roll at the tail and at the base of the neck?

Grinkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's got about an inch of padding on her ribs but you can feel them if u really try. Same for her back. We will ask the vet next week if she's just a very compact cat or if I should start to change her food to more adult food. With her so small to much weight could really be bad for her.

Grinkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your help. I've had boys for 34 years and never a small compact girl. I was just worrying a lot because she's not growing taller just thicker.