Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Try to sneak her in

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

freyaandzelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, it's been a while since I posted. I'm looking for advice on whether or not I should tell my future landlord about all of my animals. I have 2 cats and a dog. I've already told her about the dog and one cat, but I haven't said anything about the other cat. I'm concerned that if I tell her we won't be able to come to an agreement, and I'm at the point where I will have nowhere else to go if this falls trough. If the worst happens and I'm found out, my parents would be able to care for my dog, but I'd rather not burden them. Has anyone else ever been in this situation?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of people have. Is it a groundfloor apartment where the odds of somebody observing two cats side by side in a window are high? Do the cats greet visitors at the door, or run and hide when the doorbell rings? There's not much chance of your neighbors complaining that they hear two cats scampering around, because it could very well be a dog and a cat, so the main question is how likely is it that somebody will see the second cat?

We've had tenants try to hide (extra) pets, though there was no reason to. We were aware of them, but never said anything till the people moved out. Your landlady or may not object to an additional cat, so you have to weigh the risks of her actually becoming aware of it.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My opinion may not be well-received, but I would sneak the other cat in. It's almost impossible to find apartments that allow more than two animals of any size or breed, and if your cat doesn't do any real damage (i.e., doesn't rip up the carpets or spray everything), then the likelihood of owing more for damage is low when you move out.

Like jcat said, is your landlord likely to see the cats? How often will they come into your apartment?

I lived in subsidized government housing for six years and hid my cat the entire time because they required cats to be declawed. My neighbor had six animals in a one bedroom-- two dogs and four cats. Mrowmrow screams for about a half hour every time I leave, and I was never questioned...although I was on the second floor, and nobody could see him. They could just hear him yowling ;) My situation was really irritating because part of the compliance apartment communities have in order to get funding for subsidized housing are walk-throughs and inspections, so I was constantly having to pack up his litter box and him and leave him at my mom's house for a day while they were inspecting units. After the first four years it got to the point where I would just lock him in my room with my dog, loose, and put a note on my door that said "DOG LOOSE IN BEDROOM", so that they wouldn't go in there, lol.

But I was lucky, and I can be a little too bold sometimes. If your landlord seems very nice and likes cats, then telling her would probably be the best bet. If she's a person who assumes all animals destroy her units and she's snippy about the limit, then I'd be careful. Her allowing you to have three pets in a two-pet apartment could set a slippery slope for future tenants, and for anyone who's currently living there would could potentially find out and complain. She's unlikely to bend the rules just for you...in my experience.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I should add.. my old apartment never allowed animals (small animals like parakeets and rodents were OK). But I had two cats anyway and they never said anything, they knew I had them.

I guess it also depends on how nosey your neighbors are and how tolerant they are of animals. Some people will complain no matter what, and some will turn a blind eye.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

freyaandzelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are really nondestructive, it's honestly my dog who will be the biggest pain, and that's just because he sometimes whines. It will be an upstairs apartment. Zelda tends to hide and be difficult to see anyway (tortiseshell) so I informed about my more social cat.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been 1+ too many animals over the limit for years. I always told them about my dog and 1 cat, and hoped that there were never 2 cats in the window at the same time if anyone gave a flip. I'd keep them UTD on shots so that I could either board them for a day during entry into my unit or leave them with a friend. We've been renting houses for 4 years now but every time they come in we put all four cats in the bedroom and warn them that one cat has a habit of leaving the house, so I'm in charge of the door, and usually 2 cats are always hiding and 2 cats are out and social. I'm waiting for my landlord to catch on that I'm sure he's seen both males, but more often my alpha male and alpha female. As long as this place doesn't smell like a litter box. It's usually the guinea pig pen that smells during the week.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
We originally agreed on just my one dog. Then I randomly decided to get a cat. I was going to hide her until inspection time came around and she wanted to come into the apartment. I just decided to ask if I could keep this cat and told her that I have pet insurance that covers up to $25,000 in 3rd party damages (that includes rental properties) which I do have for my dog, not my cat though, but I didn't specify that when I told her about the insurance. So that convinced her.

Buuttttt....then I had to take in my moms cat. She will just have to stay hidden somehow. They do stay separated for the most part, so I could lie about it...I could say that I'm just pet sitting for my mom (which I am, I am just pet sitting indefinitely that's all).

Hard to say.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's stressful renting as a pet owner! I'm sorry you're dealing with this. The word that catches me is that you're saying "future landlord." Have you not signed a rental agreement yet? Are you working on that now? In my experience, landlords have certain prejudices on types of animals more strongly than quantity, and that is mostly based on their prior experience with disrespectful tenants. Some LL don't like dogs, some don't like cats, some don't like big dogs, or birds, or whatever.
While I know no landlord would want you to have a ton of pets, of any kind, I don't see one more cat as being any more destructive or loud. Finding out why your landlord has made the 2 pet apartment rule might help you to assuage their fears if you want to be up-front, or think they'll find out early on. In my experience, being trustworthy, respectful, and paying rent on time every month goes a long way towards getting some leniency on pet policies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

freyaandzelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm in the apartment now... with just 2 cats. It ended up not being an issue because my parents and I decided that my dog should live with him. I'm a college student who works part time, and without roommates he would be alone too much for it to be fair to him. The landlord has been great about the cats though!

Scout Paws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i believe that you should be able to have asmany cats as long as they are well taken care of and have enough room and food But i have to follow rules >-<

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in an apt with 4 cats I have not paid for. Either don't know or don't care. Maintenance manager loves cats and has taken in some strays. So I am not worried about it. Also, if you have a therapy cat you do not have to pay rent. Dont hhave one but possibly one day. My cats are quiet and my apt does not smell of cat. 3 of my cats are rescues

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My lease states that I'm only allowed one animal, but I'm getting a second cat anyway. I had asked the building manager earlier this year about a second pet, but now we have a new manager and I can act like that conversation never happened. Also, things have gotten pretty lax-the one animal has to be a service or emotional support animal, but someone has a new pit bull. I myself have no issue with having a pit bull in the building, but tell me-in what universe is a pit bull a service dog?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I myself have no issue with having a pit bull in the building, but tell me-in what universe is a pit bull a service dog?

The owner may be faking it. Anyone can go online and buy a certificate, service animal gear, etc and put it on their pet. The same goes for emotional support animals. You can try to inquire with the property manager about the pit bull and express concerns that the dog may not be a legitimately certified service animal. I don't think pit bills are a common breed used as a service animal, if at all.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The owner may be faking it. Anyone can go online and buy a certificate, service animal gear, etc and put it on their pet. The same goes for emotional support animals. You can try to inquire with the property manager about the pit bull and express concerns that the dog may not be a legitimately certified service animal. I don't think pit bills are a common breed used as a service animal, if at all.
I always try to give pit bulls the benefit of the doubt. I've met this one, and she's very sweet. I genuinely have no problem with her.