3 months kittens’ stool?

catcat1077

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

We have just adopted two kittens a month ago. They are both from the same litter and will be 4 months in about two weeks.

Their stools are currently toothpaste consistency and sometimes a bit more mushy. Is this not normal?

they eat dry and wet food 3x a day & they drink water fine. They are hungry and they play a lot and doing normal kitten things ( without destroying the house too much yet )

They are eating GoCat Kitten food & Felix Kitten wet food.

we have tried adding squash/pumpkin to their food and it did work at the beginning which was a relief but then stools seem to get softer again. They don’t make much of a mess and they use the litter properly every time. They are up to date with the vaccinations and treatments - vet check two weeks ago and all good.

we are monitoring their toilet habits and might call the vets this week but just wanted to hear from other cat parents.

thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I think what I'd do if this were me is add another meal since they're pretty young yet, and have the kibble available as just a snack option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catcat1077

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
I think what I'd do if this were me is add another meal since they're pretty young yet, and have the kibble available as just a snack option.
Hey
Thanks - We will try this next. Their stools were something in between firm/soft yesterday and first thing this morning but after breakfast they had a runny one! I've fed them less at lunch time and will add another meal later this afternoon and see how that goes.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you start off feeding them the same food as they were fed in the shelter? Sometimes changing dry food too quickly can cause soft stools and diarrhea. Have you gotten them to the vet for a general well-check and test for parasites?

catcat1077

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you start off feeding them the same food as they were fed in the shelter? Sometimes changing dry food too quickly can cause soft stools and diarrhea. Have you gotten them to the vet for a general well-check and test for parasites?
Hey

Yes, we did start transitioning slowly them from Royal Canin a couple of weeks ago and we are still doing it as their stool keep changing in consistency even if with giving them less of the GoCat. They had a general well check two weeks ago. We'll call the vets this week and we'll ask about testing for parasites.

catcat1077

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update - their diarrhea yesterday cleared up and the stool are back to soft but formed. We have pushed the new food back again from this morning and we will now be giving them 25% new food only.

As a first time cat parent - I know adult cats' stool need to be firm and shaped like a sausage. Is this also the case for 3/4 months old kitten? I've heard they can be softer?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi I don't know about the consistency, but I wanted to mention that at their age, and until they're at least a year old but likely for longer, they need to literally be eating as much as they can to fuel the growth that's occurring. Overfeeding is not an issue at this stage of their lives :)

catcat1077

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I don't know about the consistency, but I wanted to mention that at their age, and until they're at least a year old but likely for longer, they need to literally be eating as much as they can to fuel the growth that's occurring. Overfeeding is not an issue at this stage of their lives :)
Thanks! We do try to give them as much as they want. We had to stop the free feeding for a bit as the tabby one would just finish both bowls leaving our little girl with less food!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found this from kitten rescue which is a valid organization :)
Kitten Care Basics • Kitten Rescue

A GUIDE TO THE RAINBOW OF POOP & URINE COLORS (THE SCOOP ON POOP)
COLOR
Bloody — Actual red blood seen in stool. Could indicate panleukepenia. Grossly abnormal, must be seen ASAP.
Mucous — yellowish/white/clear slimy substance. Indicates severe bowel irritation. Grossly abnormal and needs immediate care.
Black — True dark black color to stool. Usually indicates bleeding high in the bowel. Severe sign, needs immediate attention.
Brown — Normal color. Be happy!
Orange — Usually indicates way too much bile in stool, can occur with reflux. Seek medical advice.
Yellow — Almost always indicates bacterial imbalance in the bowel. If has diarrhea also, usually related to coccidia. Seek medical advice.
White — Grossly abnormal color, usually indicates, severe bacterial imbalance and severe infection in the bowel. Kitten at risk of dying, needs medical attention, ASAP.

CONSISTENCY
Dry/hard — Abnormal, usually indicates dehydration. Seek care, promptly.
Firm — Normal, be happy.
Formed but soft — Low range of normal. If stools change from firm to soft you should seek medical advice.
Toothpaste — Still has somewhat tubular form but falls apart once touched. Abnormal, needs medication.
Cow-patty — Never formed but thick enough it falls into a “cow-patty” shape. Abnormal, animal is at significant risk and needs immediate attention.
Liquidy — Just fluid that falls out of rectum, thin and may have mucous. Abnormal, animal is at severe risk and must be seen immediately.
The “Squirts” — Animal has no control over bowel and watery fluid squirts out of rectum. Grossly abnormal, animal in danger of dying, must be seen immediately!