3 month old kitten is almost 6 pounds

Erikab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! So I adopted two kittens when they were both 8 weeks old and now they turn 4 months in a week! I’ve been weighing them frequently because they’ve been taking medicine and I have to adjust it for their weight and my boy kitty is so big haha. He’s 5.6 pounds and not even 4 months yet. I’m worried I’m over feeding him. I leave a bit of dry food out all day, which I probably won’t continue when they get older, (possibly, I don’t know what’s best for them 😭) and give them two small meals of wet food, once in the morning, and once at night. His paws are huge and he’s so long. The girl kitty, is almost 4 pounds. They are from the same litter. Do you think he could possibly be part Maine coon or is this normal, or is he just chonky? I’m very curious!! Thank you!!

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, for the best to remove kibble as soon as it’s not as financially straining to feed all-wet, it’s generally more species-appropriate. Long as they get at least 2, ideally 3 wet meals a day, they should be perfectly fine.

Weight wise, I wouldn’t worry, it’s virtually impossible to overfeed a kitten that young 🙂 very unlikely to be part MCO, as the vast majority of cats are randombred and don’t have pedigree backgrounds/ancestors, and I don’t see MCO features, personally. Some cats are just larger than others, and 6lbs isn’t too unusual for his age, imo. Certainly on the higher end, but some MCO kittens can weigh over 8lbs by 4 months, for some context.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, cats definitely come in all sizes. I've got two males,born one day apart, and one weighs 9 pounds, the other 15. Neither is overweight. One just has much longer legs and is what we call "sturdy" :lol:. The other is more "delicate".

I would continue to feed your two all they want until at least 10 months of age, then you can probably taper back to timed meals of all wet food if you prefer. I do three timed meals (raw and/or canned) , but that doesn't work for everyone.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My boy was 9 lbs when he was 5 months old and we didn't free feed. He's grown into his weight. Boys generally tend to weigh more than females, too. Since he's only 3 months old, I would continue feeding as you are. Make sure you're feeding mainly wet food, but have dry food available as well.

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! So I adopted two kittens when they were both 8 weeks old and now they turn 4 months in a week! I’ve been weighing them frequently because they’ve been taking medicine and I have to adjust it for their weight and my boy kitty is so big haha. He’s 5.6 pounds and not even 4 months yet. I’m worried I’m over feeding him. I leave a bit of dry food out all day, which I probably won’t continue when they get older, (possibly, I don’t know what’s best for them 😭) and give them two small meals of wet food, once in the morning, and once at night. His paws are huge and he’s so long. The girl kitty, is almost 4 pounds. They are from the same litter. Do you think he could possibly be part Maine coon or is this normal, or is he just chonky? I’m very curious!! Thank you!!
I think they are completely fine. He looks like he's going to be a big cat. Look at those feets!

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had a cat named Jack that we adopted as a tiny kitten from the local humane society he grew to be close to 15 pounds, not fat,just big.He was also very similar in color to your kitten.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your feeding sounds fine. He doesn't look overweight at all. you really can't overfeed kittens until they are a year old. Continue to leave some dry out, and if he seems to be getting too big (really rounded stomach and hanging out on the sides when you look down at him) there are several weight management dry foods out there too. my cats are on it.

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First, your kittens are absolutely adorable!
As for the weight, he doesn't seem unhealthy or too big. It's also normal for male cats to be bigger than female ones.
He's also in a part of his life where he's constantly growing, so it can be very normal for him to be heavier at times.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Erikab Erikab
Male cats as was said tend to be bigger than females.
I would try an all wet diet if you can. Feed kittens as much as they want to eat if wet food or premade or homemade raw.
Dry food tends to lead to unhealthy weight gain.
For a midday meal you can try automatic or timed feeders.

Might be Maine Coon in his ancestry not necessarily a parent - though by sight he does not seem so. Could be a contributing factor if he does turn out to be large as an adult. Cats of particular breeds are not as rare as is sometimes stated. Maine Coons and Ragdolls are popular and are two of the larger breeds.