3 month old kitten alone for a long time once a week?

newkittenquestion77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I have a 2-year-old cat and am adopting a 12-week-old kitten. Or, I want to, but I'm not sure about the compatibility of my schedule. For the next month or so, I'll be out of the house for 12-14 hours once a week (only away from home a couple of hours a day otherwise). I could probably rearrange my schedule to be away for two 10-hour days instead (factoring in commute time and the days of the week under this option), but not really sure if that would be better or worse.

Intermediate-term, I'm hoping the kitten and my cat will get along - my cat used to live with other cats and reacts in a neutral/calm way when she sees cats outside - and wonder if that would help mitigate any issues, once they're on good enough terms to be left alone together? (I know that won't be in the first week, probably not even the first couple of weeks.)

Any insight or feedback? Has anyone else had this kind of schedule and made it work with a little kitten?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your kitten will be unhappy but ok for 10 hours once or even twice a week. I would adopt the kitten so you have him for 5-6 days before your away day if you can. Your cat will keep your kitten company on the other side of the door. Hopefully in a couple of weeks or a month your adult cat & kitten will be ready to hang out together 24/7.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just adding to the above...a kitten that age can get into all sorts of things. Until he and your cat are well-acquainted and getting along very well, you're going to want a "safe room" for the kitten, regardless. Make sure there are no wires to chew on, or blind cords to get hung up in, things like that. You can leave him there (with, of course, food, water and litter box) while you are gone until he's a bit older and more settled.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have rescued kittens and left them in a safe room, usually a bathroom that was made safe for them, for entire workdays and workweeks until they were able to be integrated into the household. No one seemed to suffer for it and you can monitor your other cat to evaluate if they would be safe together as time goes on. Your work schedule allows you to interact with the kitten on a very frequent basis minus those days you mentioned.

I realize you are adopting this kitten voluntarily, but in my case it usually came down to three options for the kitten: leave you where I found you to probably die, take you to the shelter where they will probably euthanize you, or put you in the bathroom until we can figure out a better alternative. It does not bother me in the least to separate, secure, or crate animals as needed.