3 month old kitten alone at night time

parranoidmoose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten seems to not have been socialized well (what I deserve after supporting a byb) and ever since she found the basement its been her favourite place to hide, its a finished basement, I have heated bed for her to sleep in, so im not worried about anything other than whether a cat this young is supposed to be left alone all night to sleep? from googling I found that cats younger than 6 months cant be left alone at night, so right now I pick her up and put hr in my room and closed the door until morning. I purchased a thundershirt to help her with her anxiety when im not with her in the day cus she is in the basement. is it a good idea to put it on at night too?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
so right now I pick her up and put hr in my room and closed the door until morning.
If it's ok that she sleeps with you in your bedroom, then it's a good habit to bring her into your room every night.

Cats have weird sleeping habits and places to sleep. As long as they feel safe, they'll sleep there And often times you find that as they grow older, there sleeping pattern changes.

My boy is a rescue at 3 weeks old and when he first came home, he sleeps in a cage all by himself in the living room at night and when I have to be out for a few hours in the day, for about less than a month and after that, I carry him every night to my bed as I want him to sleep with me. Day time he sleeps anywhere he likes. He has the run of the whole house and so he can sleep anywhere he wants but in the night, I just want him to sleep on my bed and he's now coming to six years old, every night he automatically climb up onto the bed to sleep. But at certain time in the night, he'll want to get out of the room and sleep in the living room and later, he'll come back up to the bed.
During the day, he sleeps at different places in the house including the bed.

As long as your house is cat safe, plugged up any holes that she can hide and cannot be reached or get out by herself and any escape route blocked and all poisons safely out of reach and no harmful stuffs and harmful plants around, you can let your kitty wander and let her sleep wherever she likes. In other words, your house must be very cat safe.

As for the thundershirt, I don't have that for my boy. He go hide if there's a thunderstorm and especially ins the night, he'll cuddle up under the blanket to feel secure till the storm pass. Day time, I guess he'll just hide under the bed or somewhere snug that he feels secure.
If your are have lots of thunderstorm or fireworks or sudden loud sounds, maybe it'll work for your cat. I can't say anything more about the thundershirt as I have no experience with that.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had my cats (multiple sets over the years) sleep in my finished basement at night for over twenty years. Its a rule, I don't allow them any choice in the matter, but they generally don't mind at all once they get used to the ritual I use to get them down there (food and treats). I have sleep apnea, and could never allow a kitten or most cats to sleep with me. The finished basement is a godsend for me, a crucial part of being a cat owner. It does them no harm whatsoever -- provided your basement is cat proofed, as noted above. Which is harder than you might think. And, certainly, if your kitten was distressed about being in the basement, the odds of being mischievious go up. But you really don't need an unhappy kitten to cause problems down there, boredom or curiousity will lead to the same thing -- so make sure to spend some time with the kitten down there, let him show you what trouble he is interested in getting into. And look around in the mornings, so you spot little issues before they become big ones.

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Back yard breeder. ie not a professional breeder and the term has negative implications

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think there are hard and fast rules about that but I would wince at any cat especially one so young being alone for long periods. Mine have the choice even when older. Often one at the side edge or base of my bed and if one creeps under the covers for a bit of company or extra warmth, that is fine too. They live here too 24/7