3 Kittens Vomiting After Deworming/panleukopenia.

humpampa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 kittens, almost 4 months old

Last night one of them vomiting so bad, one of the vomit contained roundworm

I brought him to the vet, and he was given a deworming medicine

The bad news is another 2 kittens ate the vomit from this kitten (I was panicked and didn't see another 2 kittens ate the vomit). Then this morning I gave another 2 kittens the same deworming medicine.

This morning all of them vomiting more than 6 times each, the vomit is yellow

I tried to keep them hydrated by giving cat milk using pipe to their mouth (they refused to eat or drink by themselves)

Is this the normal reaction from deworming medicine? What can I do?

Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

humpampa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Now one of them look really weak, I have tried to always give him water by pipe to his mouth every time he vomited :(

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
What kind of dewormer did the vet give you? Was it tablets or liquid to put on the back of their neck?

It sounds as if they have had an allergic reaction to it. please call your vet. If the vet isn't open now they should have the number of an emergency vet on their answer phone message.

Don't try to force feed them if they keep vomiting. They need medical attention.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like they were given too much. That weak kitten needs medical attention as soon as possible. He will have to be hydrated under the skin. Kittens are very fragile and can go downhill quickly. The next time they are dewormed take all three in and have them do it, it doesn't do any good to have just one done. They will just infect each other back and forth. Please get them to eat/drink if at all possible, get tuna juice (in water) and see if they will drink taht. Offer shaved turkey from a deli, anything to get them started and get something in their system. All the luck and keep us posted!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they give the de-worming pill with a pill gun or did you put it in their food? Drontal is really bitter if you put it in food and can cause vomiting. But this sounds like something more serious going on.

humpampa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update

Thank you so much for all your reply, soon after read your reply I was panicked and I knew there is something very very wrong

In my country it was midnight, I was panicked looking for 24 hours vet, I got it even though the vet was so far from my place

And the next news is really shocking me, all of them positive got Feline Panleukopenia :(

So the first vet I visited before must be had miss diagnosis :(

Honestly I can't rest all the night...

Update: very exactly when I was typing this, I got call from my vet, one of them just dead...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry.

:grouphug2:

Feline Panleukopenia is a terrible disease, little kittens are particularly vulnerable to it.

I hope the remaining kittens are strong enough to fight it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry, I have been through this disease with kittens and it is heartbreaking. I'll pray for the two to get better may God bless them with strength to fight this horrible disease. I'm so sorry for your loss..... RIP little one, you were loved and never will be forgotten.

humpampa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Norachan Norachan and di and bob di and bob :) Your words mean so much for me :)

The 2 kittens still in critical condition, one of them still wanna eat, while the one needs to be forced by pipe :(

Do you have any information how long the recovery duration for them? What can I expect during the process?
I've tried to look on several information on the websites but the information is different one with another

And about my home, how can I clean and disinfecting my home so it can be safe for them (or another cat and kitten) when they come back to my house? I read the virus is so strong and can survive at our home for long period...

The kittens loved to go anywhere inside my house, they used to play on anything

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are so critical, my heart goes out to you and to them. It will take weeks for them to recover, the next few days will be the turning point. They need round the clock supportive care, they are in the best place they can be. I would research the internet to see what can be done about cleaning your house, this will not be easy. I guess you can think of it as spring cleaning, I know I wiped everything I could down with diluted bleach water. Once they have distemper, they won't get it again. I have had several live through it even on their own as they were ferals, but it is still a 50/50 chance. They are very, very sick, but as long as there is life there is hope. The next few days will determine their outcome. I will pray for them both.

humpampa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Norachan Norachan and di and bob di and bob :)

I want to give update about their condition

Day 4: the two kitties starting to eat and drink by their own. The vet said their poop become normal and no vomiting again. They become more active, even though still not completely normal

humpampa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I miss press the button....

Continue:

I wish this is the good sign they will recover soon

But the bad news is yesterday their mother also positive FPV (the first sign was diarrhea) and has been treated since yesterday on vet. Today she started not want to eat but there is no diarrhea or vomiting happened yet.

I wish all of them will be ok

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, I will pray for the mama to get well, too. Getting to day four and actually eating/drinking is a great sign. The good thing is, once they get well again, they will not have to go through this again. Mama will need hydration and some kind of nutrition, I wish you all the best!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's great news about the kittens wanting to eat and drink again.

:yess:

Is their mother your cat too? Adult cats usually have a better chance of survival than young kittens do. I'm glad to hear she's been seen by the vet. Hopefully she will pull through.

Keep us posted.