3 Feral Kittens with Roundworms How to Treat? Revolution?

catfosterparent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, 

I recently brought in three 6 week old kittens to foster. They were feral and living outside so they had to be socialized. I brought them to a vet, after a couple days of having them. They had had loose stool and there was one feces that was covered in blood and mucus which I was concerned about. 

At the vet they tested negative for there combo test. They were very bony and after telling the vet about their poop problems she tested them for worms. The test came back and it appeared that they had roundworms. My vet had given them Revolution and said that they would need it again in a month.

I'm just confused on how long Revolution takes to work and what exactly does it do? Does it kill all of the roundworms? If so how long does it take and if its been about 4 days since they got Revolution, can they still pass the roundworms on to other cats? Can they get roundworms again if there were any eggs left from where they have been staying? Also, can I let them out around my cats or is it too risky?

Thank you and any answers would be greatly appreciated!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It works pretty quickly, and is for about one months duration.  I would  wait at least one week to be sure the worms inside are dead, and no worm contagion is possible. The vet wants to give them a new dosis in one months, because to kill off eggs which have hatched.  Its entirely normal practice.

As you know Revolution takes also all outer parasites too.

It the Revolution by any reason isnt working fully, you can also try some Pyrantel preparate. Pyrantel is mild, so doubling shouldnt be dangerous.

But first give the Revolution a chance....

I suppose you are giving the the usual kitten food, wet food - perhaps pate style, baby food, minced meat (not raw pork though), etc?

Goats milk is always OK as a supplement, if you by any reason decide they may need extra milk.  Usweetened plain milk youghurt is good too - esp if they at any time would get antibiotics.

I hope the socialization goes well!

Continue to report and ask question.  Somebody will always answer you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catfosterparent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for your reply! How will I know if the worms are dead? 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thanks so much for your reply! How will I know if the worms are dead? 
It may be difficult,  But if you after several days still notice problems typical for worms infection.

Or there are coming out worms whom arent clearly dying...

Usually you can presume the Revolution has worked. Its a good preparate.   I just mentioned, IF...

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You should  see a change in the loose stools. Their coats should also start to look better.   Be sure to follow up with the 2nd dose in 30 days.  Used with two sets of feral kittens and all kittens were worm/flea free after two doses.