3 day old kittens, second litter for mom / Moms milk depleting, Issues with KMR

adorbsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I had 6 kittens born very early in morning on March 9th.
This is not the mother's first litter and she has been doing great. She did wonderful while giving birth, cleaning up, ate the sac, chewed the umbilical cord etc; She's finally comfortable enough to get up out of the box for a bit and return to the kittens when they need her.

This is MY first litter. So I'm a bit anxious, and everything worries me a little. Lol I was finally able to weigh them today and they're all over 100g. The lowest weight is 115g and the highest is 164g. There are only two that are low at 115g & 124g. It's hard, because I don't have anything to use to identify with them...yet! I'm hoping by Monday I will.

But should I be worried when a kitten is...crying? I feel like I can tell the difference between a cry and a meow...although I'm not 100% confident.
But they're long, not short little squeaks. Sometimes not though, it does sound like a meow..

My worry is that the two that are the lightest are not getting enough milk (did not know kittens pick a favorite nipple. So they have been fighting over nipples. I don't know if I should help them or let them figure it out.) Mom is still taking care of all them. And this kitten only has been crying today, as of yesterday a different kitten was crying out.
So that makes me think, its okay? But again, them crying just makes me feel like something is wrong. it's not constant, it'll be for maybe a few minutes and then they'll quiet down again, only to continue to meow later on. The kitten yesterday hasn't mowed like that since yesterday.

I've been trying my best to watch over them and making sure theyre eating and as well as momma. (Constantly has fresh water and dry food out. She normally will eat all the wet food i give her. This morning she hasnt wanted to eat anything. Its 9:41am but i do typically feed her a little later so maybe thats why? I know cats like routine.)

Theyre in a smaller box right now, as I'm waiting for a bigger box to come in the mail today, momma does lay on them, sometimes it seems purposefully. (I DO help the kittens as they can't always crawl back out from under her) But I do know the box is smaller, so that could just be my fault.

If you have any tips or advice, please feel free to reply.
I am new to this, so anything is appreciated. If you need more information, I'll be glad to provide.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adorbsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten who has been crying, seems to show signs of fading kitten syndrome. No energy, lethargic. I will try sugar water to see if it may be low blood sugar. But if it's not, then I'm worried I'll be losing a kitten.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, get some sugar water on his gums and see if he will latch on to mom. Sometimes weaker kittens need extra time alone with mom when the others are sleeping. Is he warm enough? cold kittens get lethargic quick. You may have to take a dropper and supplement him with some KMR, kitten milk replacement, or goat's milk, a drop at a time in the side of the mouth. I'm so sorry, i pray he gets better......

adorbsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, get some sugar water on his gums and see if he will latch on to mom. Sometimes weaker kittens need extra time alone with mom when the others are sleeping. Is he warm enough? cold kittens get lethargic quick. You may have to take a dropper and supplement him with some KMR, kitten milk replacement, or goat's milk, a drop at a time in the side of the mouth. I'm so sorry, i pray he gets better......
Won't latch on to mom, and I have a heating pad under blankets in box so I know they're kept warm. Trying to give kmr... breathes are very shallow... I don't think he's going to make it. But I'm praying.

adorbsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has passed. He's not breathing or moving anymore... i feel awful. But I know I could only do so much. 😔
Rest in peace little one.

adorbsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I appreciate it so much!

adorbsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As I thought before, mom's milk production is slowing down quickly. I believe there may only be 3 nipples producing enough milk. I'm thinking she might have milk fever(eclampsia) or maybe even mastitis? But I'm not going to assume anything until I speak to a vet tomorrow, and seeing if I can get her in asap.

Mom's been panting on and off and breathing quickly sometimes if not panting. But other than

I am willing to syringe feed them, as they're only 4 days old. But I'm having problems with my kmr (pet ag, goats milk) it's not dissolving all the way and it's clumping. I thought maybe cause I put powder first than water, so I did water first then powder...still the same result. I thought maybe warming up the water first before putting powder in...still clumping.

I'm not sure if it's user error, or if maybe the container of forumla went bad? I just ordered it on March 1st, but I'm wondering if the weather messed with it during transport. Or maybe it has to do with it having goats milk?

I have NO clue lol

I'm terrified they're not getting enough milk, and it's frustrating that I cannot make the forumla properly.

adorbsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would I be able to sift the kitten formula once it's been made to remove the clumps? I feel like that's a silly question. But I feel like shaking it, is creating way too many bubbles in the bottle.

adorbsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
please excuse that question. I DO realize that is silly and will not work. I'm just desperate and it's 3:35am and I feel like I'm failing my cat and her kittens

adorbsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mom will have legs straight out when she's laying down to nurse. Her pupils do constrict when she's laying down and will continue to look forward...but will dilate again sometimes and look at me. .

I'm so scared the babies aren't going to make it over night and momma is going to go to. I'm going to absolutely do what I can to get them in tomorrow, atleast seen. Something. I'm just super freaked out but I'm truly trying to stay calm and get out of my head.

adorbsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cannot get the kmr to mix. That is my problem. If anyone has any advice!!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a wire whip? I found it helpful for mixing. You will have to smooth the bubbles out with the back of a spoon. I also put the powder and the water in a jar with a lid and shook it to mix it. If you have plastic wrap you'll want to cover the top of the jar before you put the lid on to limit leaking. Warming the water is a good idea. Remember to test it on the inside of your wrist - you shouldn't feel any heat or cold when you do.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I cannot get the kmr to mix. That is my problem. If anyone has any advice!!
The problem is new to me.... Also, I wasnt even aware PetAg makes kmr in powder containing goats milk...

I suppose its in the middle of the night, and you dint have anything else at home??

I will continue in a moment.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
IF you have just goats milk, you can always use it.
IF you happen to have mother milk replacement for human babies, you can too use it in an emergency... Just dilute less.

Perhaps some of your neigbours has?? Its socially acceptable in a moment of dire need, you do ask neighbours for help, even those you usally dont speak with.

OK. If neigther, and the advices from KFlowers doesnt helps, you can do as you yourself suggested; filter the fluid from these clumps...
And give this to the kittens... Its not optimal, but it wont hurt them.

In an emergency, give them just basic home made pedialyte:

Some glucose sugar; in USA it will typically be white caro syrup or honey, solved in water... You can even use common table sugar.
A trifle of kitchen salt....
Water....

There shall be barely a sweetish taste.

You can boil it and cool down, boiling will kill off bacterias, and perhaps help the sugar to dissolve into glucose sugar.

This sugar solution you can use, they wont grow on it, but this will keep them alive even a couple of days...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. I agree with you, momma sounds unwell. Good you have time with the vet to check up her.

During the time, you can put the kittens to her healthy teats, two kittens at a time... Precisely as you would with a big batch.

adorbsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just weighed the babies. They ARE still gaining weight. Which is so so good to hear. I'll be going to the store today to try and find different formula incase.

I will try again with mixing, and mushing the bubbles if need be. Otherwise I will sift the lumps from the formula. I thought that was silly (I do apologize. I have NOT slept yet. As I've been worrying all night.) to try and sift, but I'm happy to hear that it wasn't a bad idea. Hopefully I'll hear back from the clinic soon, to be able to get her in.

I really appreciate all the advice, you have no idea. It makes me feel nice that there are people that care and want to help. I'm doing this all alone, and it's very tiring.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you using the proper amount of powder to water? Kitten Lady suggests using a shaker bottle with a sort of whisk thing inside it. It helps to smooth out lumps. Here is her video on syringe feeding:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Please also give mom a dish or two a day of formula also. She needs the extra calcium for nursing.

I also agree that mom needs a vet check.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about this since you posted. I'm wondering if your KMR got damp, or if it's been very humid where you are.

you might try putting the measured amount of the powder in water and let it sit until it dissolves.

Or you could try spreading the powder between two layers of wax paper or paper towels if you don't have wax paper. Then gently roll over it several times with a rolling pin to break up the clumps. Perhaps level it out to dry for a little while.