3 day old kitten crying mysteriously

Cheekz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I wonder if anyone here has any experience of this. My queen had a litter a 3 days ago and one of them is extremely vocal. I am supervising feeds as much as possible at the moment because her yowling episodes initially made me worry that she was not getting enough milk. I have been awake for two nights with formula on hand but she has refused it every time so far.

Upon closer inspection, I am noticing that even with help (and despite me trimming the fur around Mum's nipples and taking her directly to them) she does still struggle getting latched at first due to, what looks like, an over-frantic and thus inefficient scrabble for her teat. Once she IS latched, she will continue squeaking intermittently for the first few minutes of her feed before settling into it and suckling happily alongside her litter mates.

It appears almost as though she is getting too hungry between feeds, which is exacerbated by her not being fantastic at locating the teat/being fought off by her siblings to the point that when she finally cracks it, ingesting the milk hurts her stomach. The problem is, I don't know if that's even possible and have never heard or read anything about it OR an alternative cause. It could also almost be a self-soothing behaviour or, I suppose, she could just simply be very vocal. She will occasionally accidentally come off her teat and make a huge racket too but intervening seems to confuse the issue, if anything.
Anyone have or hear about anything like this before? I am worrying and don't know what to do for her.
Thank you for reading.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheekz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she gaining weight normally?
They were born just before midnight on 19th. She was gaining but this problem seems to have come about last night so I don't know for the next weigh in yet. It's like she's forgotten how to latch. Still constantly trying and fighting so not listless but can't see how she'd go on like this much longer. She's not been able to maintain a latch for the latest feed at all so hasn't stopped meowing but didn't seem to be having trouble before?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
They were born just before midnight on 19th. She was gaining but this problem seems to have come about last night so I don't know for the next weigh in yet. It's like she's forgotten how to latch. Still constantly trying and fighting so not listless but can't see how she'd go on like this much longer. She's not been able to maintain a latch for the latest feed at all so hasn't stopped meowing but didn't seem to be having trouble before?
You might want to consider gathering up mom and kittens and taking them to your vet. This kitten may have a deformity in her mouth that keeps her from latching on. I have had kittens go on me because of that and I had one kitten who managed to beat all odds and survive, but he was miserable and cried all the time.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that it would be good to check for cleft palate. Have you already looked in the baby's mouth?
Severe cleft palate looks like a "V" shaped cleft or hollow in the roof of baby's mouth:
cleft.png
Cleft palate can be difficult to see if the cleft is small and/or located at the back of the mouth, and in that case you would need a vet to diagnose it.

Cheekz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No cleft palate that I can see. I have managed to get her to feed from a bottle and she has settled but she is squealing when trying to find a teat and even when I take her to one just fussing round it rather than latching almost as if she's getting too wound up to think straight about the task at hand. However, since taking a bottle feed she is much calmer overall. Definitely not unable to suck but struggling with available nipples and the fact the whole litter appear to favour the same 3 at the back

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would continue bottle feeding whenever you can. I really think once she gets a bit older and stronger she will not have this problem. It truly sounds like she is not getting enough to eat. weigh her daily and see if she is gaining, get a food scale. Kittens must gain 1/2 ounce, 14 grams every day to be normal. Weighing is really about the only way to determine if everything is alright. All the luck!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you can feed her a little then put her up to the teat so she isnt so frantic. It could be colic and you can add a drop or 2 of infant gas drops (simethecone drops such as Mylicon, Little Remedies or GasX)

Cheekz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Perhaps you can feed her a little then put her up to the teat so she isnt so frantic. It could be colic and you can add a drop or 2 of infant gas drops (simethecone drops such as Mylicon, Little Remedies or GasX)
I must say colic had crossed my mind because she was griping while feeding, too. Thanks so much for your advice, I'm feeling a lot better now she's taken the bottle. I better get some decent coffee in! 😄

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she is frantic because she is hungry. Most kittens with a mother will not take a bottle, and when they are this tiny and have difficulty sucking, it is best to use a tiny 1or 2mL needleless syringe. You can better control how much they get because they need time to swallow in between.

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Also, Miracle Nipples are easier for kittens as they most resemble mom’s nipples. You might want to order some:

Miracle Nipples

I suggest you feed this kitten every 2 hours like clockwork. As she gets bigger she should get less frantic (and more spoiled)! 😊

Cheekz Cheekz

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also want to mention that the best nipples are the lower, the bigger kits will push the smaller/weaker kits off of them since kittens choose and stick with their fave nipple, usually throughout their nursing until weaned.
That would explain why baby is so frantic to eat.
As long as kits have a mom they will not accept a bottle or syringe, so using the 1.0 ml no needle syringe is best for supplementing.
Its small size makes it easy to control how much goes in at a time. Just 1 or 2 drops in to the cheek area, not throat. Not turned on their backs.
You will know from daily weighs how much supplementing baby needs by gains. Should be gaining around 10 gram or more a day. Never less than 6.

Cheekz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! Just an update on the kittens. Little girly is accepting a bottle little and often so I do think she's generally struggling with latching. However, I am sleeping downstairs and feeding her regularly and the litter are now 6 days old and all weighing between 220 & 250g including her so I am happy with her progress and really very grateful for all of your input.
Many thanks, truly. ❤