3/4 WEEK OLD KITTEN CONCERNING STOOL

MoonysMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I am a new kitten guardian and came across this site while doing research. I read other threads before posting as I thought I might find help there, but everyone has seemed to have different experiences. I would love some advice if anyone has any!

We found a very young kitten outside of a friends house. I immediately wanted him but didn't want to take him from his mother so soon, but my friend said that the mother doesn't take care of them and the rest of the litter had already passed away. I took the kitten and have been caring for it since Sunday last week. He was very hungry, but seemed healthy overall. On Monday he swallowed the tip of bottle we had been using to feed him and I have been worried sick since. His stool was running and dark and appeared to have blood in it which made me panic even more. We took him to the vet and they didn't seem concerned about the nipple and only gave him deworming medicine. They said as long as he is pooping he should be fine. That was on Wednesday. The medicine seemed to kill his appetite and make his stool look even more concerning, and then yesterday it looked better but this morning it seemed to be going back to dark and runny and bloody. On top of that his belly seems to be very bloated. I've never owned an animal this young so I have no comparison on how his tummy should feel.

He is at the vet again today with my mom and I think I'm going to request an xray. I am just here to get some insight from some more experience people on if I should be this worried, bc the anxiety is killing me! I've taken photos of nearly every bowel movement he has had since he swallowed the nipple.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My guess is his stool has nothing to do with the nipple tip. This happens and as long as it was just the tip, it will get passed through stool.

However, it sounds like he probably needs a round of metronidazole for bacterial parasites and infection in his intestines. He may have gotten these through mom’s milk or whatever he consumed outside before you took him. It’s not uncommon for kittens to need metronidazole and it is very effective. I would insist the vet prescribe this.

What brand formula are you feeding him? Powdered or pre-mixed?

He may be ready to wean to soft foods. Here is a helpful video:

Do keep us posted!

MoonysMom MoonysMom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonysMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for the reply.

I've been using the canned pre-mixed KMR brand to feed him, but I have a can of the powdered one too that we will probably begin using.

He was at the vet this morning and she said that there really isn't much she can do about the nipple but that it shouldn't affect him too much. She said that it will basically just stay in there until he is big enough and his body is strong enough to get it out. She did another fecal test and said that it came back clear for any parasites, he had worms but the deworming medicine took care of those quickly bc he's so tiny. She said that he looks like he's just recovering from the medicine and pooping out the worms, but gave him some probiotics to help.

Thank you for the video, I wasn't sure when to start switching him over since he's so small and I thought he would still be drinking from mama 😣

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the powdered KMR is more stable.

Another alternative is goats milk. Its also cheaper, and can be used as supplement in all life stages if you decide he may need a supplement.

RAW goats milk, if you can get it, has even some potential soothing properties. Its sometimes used as treatment for intestine problems.

If you have already opened the KMR can, you without trouble mix them.
But instead of 1 part KMR : 2 parts water, you use 1part Kmr / 3 parts goats milk.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pre-mixed formula causes diarrhea, so the canned powder should be better for him — or goat’s milk as Stefan suggests. Perhaps one of these plus the probiotic will help.

If his poops do not get better in a few days, do request metronidazole, as parasites do not always show up in fecal tests, and the metro also clears intestinal bacteria.

MoonysMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! His poop is looking a lot better now, still diarrhea but the color is a lot better and there is no more visible blood. My other concern is his big bloated belly, the vet said it was probably the air he inhales while eating but i just can’t help but be concerned with itZ it’s seems so dramatically big for his size :( I’m just overly concerned I guess…

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can try with adding some simethicon, a couple of drops. The same as is sold for human babies.
IF its "just" the air, it should help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. If he has much diarrhea, so please add a little salt to his kmr.
Minerale salt is best, but you can begin with common kitchen salt.

Having diarrhea, he loses lotsa electrolytes and salts with the fluids.

MoonysMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will try that! Thanks for the advice, I will update with results!

It seems my kitty loves to worry me since he didn't poop since midday yesterday. This morning he pooped and it had a shape and it was a looong poop, probably since it had been so long since his last poop. His belly is still so bloated though.