3 - 3 week old kittens missing in my house!

Starrgrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Ella gave birth 3 weeks ago to 4 kittens. This is her second(and last) time. Both times she gave birth in my closet but this second time just over the last few days she's being acting nervous and coming to me trying to tell me something and trying to move them. I kept putting them back in my closet because we are renovating the house and haven't put down flooring yet, also we have a very large 2 year old German Shepherd who is very friendly but he's huge and they are so small. I went out today and my son called me telling me 3 of them were missing and Ella was with the fourth. I came home looking all over including outside in our back yard, NO LUCK! Ella was wandering around the house making chirping sounds and obviously looking for them. I don't know what to do. I would think they would start crying for food or just being alone and scared. I really don't want to think my dog Apollo would've picked them up and taken them outside but I just don't know!
Any suggestions or hiding places would appreciate.
Thanks

Attachments

embem28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I was about 13 our cat had kittens. She gave birth in the linen closet, then moved them under a desk in my parent's room and then later under my bed in the far corner because we (my 3 sisters and I) were excited and she probably wanted more privacy. Since there is construction going on the house may seem more dangerous and she may have moved them to a more hidden and secure space - it is concerning though that they aren't all together and that she is acting like she can't find them. Have you checked any small spaces, heating ducts, boxes, etc that humans can't easily get into? It's a bit difficult since her goal is probably to keep them out of sight. Could you use the dog to help find the others? Poor babies. Good luck!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the remodeling is definitely scaring her. She moved them to keep them safe. Did she have access to outside? If so you can't keep her in now or the babies will starve if they are out there. She knows what she is doing. Allow her free reign and try to follow her when she leaves. She will try to get that 4th baby with the rest.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree! Also, if flooring is missing, look below it. Your dog may have dropped them there.