2yr Old Coughed Blood At Night :(

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi all, I’m a little worried bcs I heard my cat sneeze like 4-5 times last night but didn’t think much of it. He got up and ate dry food after that.

When I woke up (he sleeps with me) I saw blood splattered on the comforter (pics attached)
Of course I panicked. He seems fine, just not sure where this came from. Should I
Take him to a vet immediately???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. We just moved in to a new townhome. Not sure if it’s allergens, AC etc.
also.... cat in pic is his worried lil sister :(

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear that your kitty is going through this. I’d recommend taking him to the vet. This article says that coughing up blood is a sign that the airways are irritated and early treatment will help to prevent complications: Cat Coughing Up Blood

I hope your kitty is on the mend soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you I will read article and set vet appt ASAP.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about taking your cat to the vet. I have been through URI's with multiple cats and have never had one cough up blood.

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I called a few vets and they both don’t have appointments tmrw. Should I just take him to an urgent care one?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can not get an appointment tomorrow then I would at least call an urgent care vet and talk to someone. They will let you know if it is an emergency. Have you seen anymore blood or was this an isolated incident? This is definitely something you should mention to urgent care when you call. If you are continuing to see new blood then I would just go to urgent care and not bother calling.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure that blood comes from coughing and not sneezing?
I had an experience of a cat with blood coming out of nose whle sneezing, I hope it's nothing similar.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Violent sneezing would explain the blood. A small vessel ruptured. I would observe him and watch for any signs of illness, runny eyes and nose, coughing, listlessness, and refusing food and drink. If none of these things occur, it is most likely a one time thing, like a bloody nose in us. He could have the herpes virus flared up from the stress of the move, which Lysine would be needed for, but he will develop the other symptoms. As long as he acts normal, everything should be fine, but a vet visit wouldn't be out of line for your own peace of mind. By the way, on the white parts of that comforter, peroxide works like magic to get rid of blood stains, I used it all the time on my nursing uniforms.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
If you see any signs of more bleeding I would call an emergency vets and talk it through with them, possibly taking him in for a check up if that's what they reccommend. If he seems fine now and acting like himself, and no more signs of bleeding anywhere then you might want to have another chat with your own vets and see when they could fit him in. If it was a one off then it may be a burst blood vessel from harsh sneezing or coughing - always best to investigate as there could be something stuck somewhere or an underlying cause that a vet would be able to check out.

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much! The info really helps!! Based on your comments I think it was harsh sneezing and it was a one time thing. I stayed and worked from home yesterday and today and so far all is good. He is eating really well and lounging as he likes.

Only thing is he DID NOT want to sleep with me on the bed :(
I gently held him on my chest on the bed like usual n he was ultra cautious looking around n tip toeing around the area where he bled....

Thanks for the peroxide tip will use next time. I used a wet wash cloth and wiped each spot! No sign of anything now. Total upper body workout!

Yes! I will take to Vet tomorrow or Friday just to be on the safe side!

Hugs to all U CatMoms! Love this site! ;)

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only thing is he DID NOT want to sleep with me on the bed :(
I gently held him on my chest on the bed like usual n he was ultra cautious looking around n tip toeing around the area where he bled....
He was still smelling his own blood on the bed, that's why he wasn't comfortable sleeping with you.
Let us know what your vet will tell you :)