2nd cat

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the kitten with narrow vertical stripes is a brown mackerel tabby. Brown tabbies have black stripes on a beige to brown background color. The background color can vary in tone and can be anywhere from a very warm and orangey brown, to a very cold grayish beige.

The cat with swirls / "bullseye" pattern on the side is a brown classic tabby. I'm assuming the kitten picture of the brown classic tabby is the same as the adult cat.

I'm not sure what you mean about "silver"? Silver tabbies have black stripes on a white or nearly white background.

Last edited:

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, I really have to say again - such beautiful colors and patterning on both cats!! I have to ask, and sorry if you posted it already and I missed it - but how old is the larger cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Monetcat33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A quick update, so my 2nd tabby, now 13 weeks seems to have a broken or spot mackerel. I thought he was a mackerel tabby but he seems to have some spots at the shoulder, back, and legs. What tabby pattern is he?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those 'spots' appear often and more than likely will still from together to be stripes when he is done growing, He would still be considered a brown mackerel tabby. He sure looks like a 'teenager' now! Beautiful cats, welcome to the site. Please keep us posted on any changes!

Monetcat33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Those 'spots' appear often and more than likely will still from together to be stripes when he is done growing, He would still be considered a brown mackerel tabby. He sure looks like a 'teenager' now! Beautiful cats, welcome to the site. Please keep us posted on any changes!
Thanks, thats what i thought too. But like this pic, it sort of looks the mackerel is broken in pieces in the back and the shoulders? Maybe its just because hes a kitten still

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's normal for mackerel tabbies to have some of their stripes broken up into spots like that.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say just wait a few months and you will know for sure. Sometimes they stay you never know.... I have had several kittens that had spots lol a leapord and I wish they would have stayed,but they joined into stripes as they got older.

Monetcat33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
20200122_002848.jpg

Update, 4 months. Its starting to look like a broken mackerel? No?