24 year old cat pawing at chin

Bsivey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a 24 year old cat that suddenly stopped eating his favorite dry food and then I noticed when he was eating his canned food he would suddenly paw at his mouth after a few bites and it got so bad that he would hit his bowl with his paw when he was pawing his mouth and his bowl would fly across the kitchen. He also started drooling a lot more than his usual drool when getting his ears scratched. After looking at his mouth and chin I found his chin had dry crud on it that I thought was dried up canned food because in the last year he has not been able to groom himself due to his old age. I tried to clean his chin with a baby wipe like I have been doing on his face and around his backend since he has been unable to himself but it would not come loose so I put triple antibiotic ointment on it a couple times and that loosened it up and I was able to get all of it off with a baby wipe. He seemed better for a day or two but when I checked him out his chin had crud on it again and he started pawing at his mouth again when trying to eat. I have not taken him to the vet becase when I took him 5 years ago for a UTI infection they told me at his age I should have him put down or take him home to die! I took him home and dosed down steroids and antibiotics of mine and made a tincture of essential oils and he was better after a few days and had been healthy for 5 years. Im afraid at his age now he would not do well taking a trip to the vet especially for any procedure that required anathesia. He is now only eating a liquid diet and has lost a lot of weight, he has always been a fat boy and weighed around 25lbs. but he suddenly feels light as a feather. He has an appetite and tries to eat as much as possible but has to have small amounts several times a day. This has been going on now for about 3 weeks. He still purrs when I scratch his ears and otherwise acts normal. I have had cats for over 50 years and I have never seen this before.

londonthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
Sorry to hear about your poor kitty. Could you give a more detailed description on the dried "crud" that was on his chin? If it is feces, then you may need to see watch him use the litter box to see how he gets the crud on his chin. (Keep in mind I'm no expert). If it is not actual poop, then it may be something a little more serious, such as a scab or infection that won't go away. However, he is a senior cat, so doing drastic treatments may not be for him. It is based on your preference and the situation after all. If you think he is still happy and healthy as a senior cat, then as long as you keep feeding him and he keeps eating he should be fine. If you notice that he is losing too much weight or is feeling uncomfortable, then yes, you may need to go to your vet after all and see if they can fix him up. Again, I' m no professional, and this is based off of what I think, so take this advice with a grain of salt. For now I recommend observing his behavior and deciding whether you want to take him to the vet to find a possible cure, or let him rest at home.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any vet who tells a pet owner that the pet is too old and should die shouldn't even bet a vet IMO :angrywoman: Are there any other vet hospitals in your area that you can take your cat to? Or a mobile vet who does house calls?

I took him home and dosed down steroids and antibiotics of mine and made a tincture of essential oils and he was better after a few days and had been healthy for 5 years.
Essentials oils are known to be harmful to cats so please don't give any to your cat. Or give your own medicines to your cat. Many Human medicines are toxic to pets. Even those that are used off label for pets are often at too high of a concentration for a pet and a vet has to prescribe the correct dosage based on the pet's weight and the concentration of the medicine. You can't just guess an amount.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What is the reason for the liquid diet? What is in it and how do you give it to him? Did the crud built up stop when he stopped eating the canned food? Does he paw at his mouth with the liquid diet? The crud could be the result of an allergy to his old food, as cats can acquire an allergy even years after having eaten the same food. It might also be simply related to how he eats, given his lack of grooming, especially if the buildup has subsided some since you started him on a liquid diet.

There is Hill's A/D Restorative Care canned food that is loaded with calories and can be made into a slurry tor ease of eating. I don't know why, but it seems a lot of cats like it. Most vets carry cans of in their practice to sell. Small meals several times a day isn't all that uncommon in older cats, so if he will eat more that way by all means continue to feed him as many small meals as he will take in.

Do you have friends/family/neighbors/co-workers you could ask for a referral to a vet - one that they like? Most vets would want to do a physical exam, take blood and perhaps a urine sample - none of which would require anesthesia. And many vets can take x-rays without sedation as well. I even had my 17+ yo go through a belly shave and abdominal ultrasound with any sedation, much less anesthesia. There are also very low dose sedatives that serve to calm a cat, not to knock them out. You could also consider looking for a mobile vet that would come to your home. I believe most of them could draw blood from him for blood tests as well.

1643040136246.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bsivey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any vet who tells a pet owner that the pet is too old and should die shouldn't even bet a vet IMO :angrywoman: Are there any other vet hospitals in your area that you can take your cat to? Or a mobile vet who does house calls?

Essentials oils are known to be harmful to cats so please don't give any to your cat. Or give your own medicines to your cat. Many Human medicines are toxic to pets. Even those that are used off label for pets are often at too high of a concentration for a pet and a vet has to prescribe the correct dosage based on the pet's weight and the concentration of the medicine. You can't just guess an amount.
Yes I know I actually use to work for a vet Clinic and am a Licensed Groomer and also taught Grooming School. (Retired for 13 years) I am very careful with the oils and meds. Thank you I appreciate your concern and reply.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bsivey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. What is the reason for the liquid diet? What is in it and how do you give it to him? Did the crud built up stop when he stopped eating the canned food? Does he paw at his mouth with the liquid diet? The crud could be the result of an allergy to his old food, as cats can acquire an allergy even years after having eaten the same food. It might also be simply related to how he eats, given his lack of grooming, especially if the buildup has subsided some since you started him on a liquid diet.

There is Hill's A/D Restorative Care canned food that is loaded with calories and can be made into a slurry tor ease of eating. I don't know why, but it seems a lot of cats like it. Most vets carry cans of in their practice to sell. Small meals several times a day isn't all that uncommon in older cats, so if he will eat more that way by all means continue to feed him as many small meals as he will take in.

Do you have friends/family/neighbors/co-workers you could ask for a referral to a vet - one that they like? Most vets would want to do a physical exam, take blood and perhaps a urine sample - none of which would require anesthesia. And many vets can take x-rays without sedation as well. I even had my 17+ yo go through a belly shave and abdominal ultrasound with any sedation, much less anesthesia. There are also very low dose sedatives that serve to calm a cat, not to knock them out. You could also consider looking for a mobile vet that would come to your home. I believe most of them could draw blood from him for blood tests as well.

View attachment 408656
Hello!
Sorry to hear about your poor kitty. Could you give a more detailed description on the dried "crud" that was on his chin? If it is feces, then you may need to see watch him use the litter box to see how he gets the crud on his chin. (Keep in mind I'm no expert). If it is not actual poop, then it may be something a little more serious, such as a scab or infection that won't go away. However, he is a senior cat, so doing drastic treatments may not be for him. It is based on your preference and the situation after all. If you think he is still happy and healthy as a senior cat, then as long as you keep feeding him and he keeps eating he should be fine. If you notice that he is losing too much weight or is feeling uncomfortable, then yes, you may need to go to your vet after all and see if they can fix him up. Again, I' m no professional, and this is based off of what I think, so take this advice with a grain of salt. For now I recommend observing his behavior and deciding whether you want to take him to the vet to find a possible cure, or let him rest at home.
I will Keep an eye on him heading toward his litter box although I dont think it is that but anything is possible. Thank you for your response I will let you know when I know more. He is doing very well today and there is no crud on his chin at all today either. So my fingers are crossed and I am praying.

Darlene T

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a 24 year old cat that suddenly stopped eating his favorite dry food and then I noticed when he was eating his canned food he would suddenly paw at his mouth after a few bites and it got so bad that he would hit his bowl with his paw when he was pawing his mouth and his bowl would fly across the kitchen. He also started drooling a lot more than his usual drool when getting his ears scratched. After looking at his mouth and chin I found his chin had dry crud on it that I thought was dried up canned food because in the last year he has not been able to groom himself due to his old age. I tried to clean his chin with a baby wipe like I have been doing on his face and around his backend since he has been unable to himself but it would not come loose so I put triple antibiotic ointment on it a couple times and that loosened it up and I was able to get all of it off with a baby wipe. He seemed better for a day or two but when I checked him out his chin had crud on it again and he started pawing at his mouth again when trying to eat. I have not taken him to the vet becase when I took him 5 years ago for a UTI infection they told me at his age I should have him put down or take him home to die! I took him home and dosed down steroids and antibiotics of mine and made a tincture of essential oils and he was better after a few days and had been healthy for 5 years. Im afraid at his age now he would not do well taking a trip to the vet especially for any procedure that required anathesia. He is now only eating a liquid diet and has lost a lot of weight, he has always been a fat boy and weighed around 25lbs. but he suddenly feels light as a feather. He has an appetite and tries to eat as much as possible but has to have small amounts several times a day. This has been going on now for about 3 weeks. He still purrs when I scratch his ears and otherwise acts normal. I have had cats for over 50 years and I have never seen this before.
I think he could have what is called Feline Oral facial Pain Syndrome. My 18 year old kitty has it. She paws at her jaw after or during eating. First you need to rule out a possible obstruction in her mouth. Otherwise, I think that what is going on. She needs to go to a vet for diagnosis. Sometimes cats recover on their own, but considering her age she needs to be seen. I wouldn't let the vet do anything drastic considering her age, but you do need to see if he has an obstruction. There are also pain meds for it, if needed. Find a new vet and make sure they have certification. If your cat, only does this when eating and otherwise seems ok, it might be best to do nothing except ruling out the obstruction issue. Feline Orofacial Syndrome - Search (bing.com)

Last edited by a moderator:

Darlene T

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to add that low sodium chicken broth might help and then puree his soft food before feeding with a little broth or water.. He needs to lick his food. not chew on it. Best of luck to you and your kitty!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi D Darlene T and welcome to TCS!
This thread is a couple of years old and may not be seen by Bsivey, but thank you for your input. :)