24 Hours Since My Cat Gave Birth To A Kitten???

catmomv2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my cat got pregnant recently, we've been meaning to get her fixed but this past year has been a huge financial struggle for me due to personal issues, this is technically her second litter, she had kittens last year but they all died.:( We were gonna get her fixed after that but like i said, we've been struggling financially for a very long time and couldn't get around to it. Anyways, my cat was acting strange yesterday and i left the house for about 30 minutes and came back to a kitten! She's been taking care of it, eating and drinking, and basically acting completely normal since then, besides the fact that she now has a kitten. However I'm a bit worried because I think I still feel movement in her stomach and it's been a little over 24 hours since she gave birth to the first kitten...I am very broke right now because it's around thanksgiving so I can't take her to a vet! Any advice would be appreciated :(

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't help you with a mamma cat (only abandoned kitten care), but I can tag Sarthur2 Sarthur2 who is a gold mine of valuable information.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is ok no visible troubles you can wait. Sometimes kittens come days apart

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she taking well care about the first one? This is always a good sign, both for the kittens welfare - and about hers.

Also, if the first one was somewhat premature, sometimes she isnt quite ready. And perhaps hasnt enough with milk.
So do monitor the kitten closely, even if he snuggles and mommas takes good care.

Weighting daily is a good help to see if he adds properly. The first critical period even weigh every 12 hours, till you get a good count.

C catmomv2

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Of course, DO observe the situation closely. Because even if I and SArthur(!) are talking calmingly, the situation IS touchy till the smoke has cleared out.

Not that you can do much as the vets nearby are holiday closed, but Im sure there is always the Emergency 24/7 clinic, if there is a real emergency.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry StefanZ StefanZ . Should of thought of tagging you also. Just wasn't thinking last night.
Hope you're not offended.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yep! Mama kitty will have another one when her body is ready. As Stefan said, it can be days apart. Be patient!

We'd love to see a picture of mom and baby! :)