21-yr-old cat with good appetite has become picky - I want to mix something tasty into his wet food

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Muzak is a 21-year-old neutered DSH, in remarkably good health (vet's words). I have him eating Friskies pate (he has to be on wet food). He's eaten it well for several years. However he has by now almost completely lost his sense of smell, and is eating maybe 1/2 - 2/3 of his food. He will however gobble up his Greenies (kitty crack). I want to find something I can mix into his food that will be as tasty as the Greenies. I've seen various additives / toppers etc. but nothing highly rated. Any suggestions as to how to make the food super tasty?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could crush the greenies and use as toppers or mix the whole into the pate. Try mixing some tuna juice in the food as that's quite strong smelling. Muzak is a great age.

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found this stuff called Purrrfect Creamy ..made by the " temptations" folks. little tubes of creamy treat. my cats cant resist that stuff ! worth a try ? comes in tuna, chicken and salmon. they love them all !:winkcat:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found this stuff called Purrrfect Creamy ..made by the " temptations" folks. little tubes of creamy treat. my cats cant resist that stuff ! worth a try ? comes in tuna, chicken and salmon. they love them all !:winkcat:
I forgot about those. My friend mixes some in her cat's food to get him to eat it, works well for her.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've heard FortiFlora is a very enticing topper as well. You've done well getting him to this age!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could crush the greenies and use as toppers
:yeah:

Crush up any treat or even dry food and use as toppers. FortiFlora works great but can be addicting to cats so use it very sparingly.

You can try warming up the canned food with some very warm water (add water to the food or sit the bowl of food in a water bath for a couple of minutes) or briefly heat in the microwave until just barely warm. Warm foods have a more stinky smell.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Muzak is a 21-year-old neutered DSH, in remarkably good health (vet's words). I have him eating Friskies pate (he has to be on wet food). He's eaten it well for several years. However he has by now almost completely lost his sense of smell, and is eating maybe 1/2 - 2/3 of his food. He will however gobble up his Greenies (kitty crack). I want to find something I can mix into his food that will be as tasty as the Greenies. I've seen various additives / toppers etc. but nothing highly rated. Any suggestions as to how to make the food super tasty?
If he has lost his since of smell, maybe food with meat in it will help so he has something to chew like shredded chicken

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if these would work for you, but I primarily add them to Feeby's (~17 yo) pates that are a bit more grainy than she would prefer: Delectables Bisque and Simply Nourish broth. I use chicken flavor, but both come in tuna flavor as well. However, they also seem to help enhance the flavor of her food too.

I also use the following lickable treats to entice her to eat more: Vitakraft, Wholehearted, Applaws, Inaba Churu, and Tiki Cat Stix.

The other thing I found to add to her food when she is beginning to tire of eating her meal are Party Mix treats - I chop them up into fine granules and mix that with her food. There are numerous flavors, but one of them has bacon flavoring in it and she LOVES bacon.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you regularly brush her teeth do not give her too many treats