Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

2020 Presidential Race

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by orange&white, May 22, 2019.

1. JamesCalifornia

JamesCalifornia TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles
    ~ Andrew Yang has a solution to corporate greed and tax evasion - Value Added Taxation. The citizens would then receive dividends in the form of a 'Basic Income Allowance' - the "Freedom Dividend " -
    $1,000/ month, $12,000 a year for every American adult. Would this work ? Can this idea do anything to curb government irresponsible overspending ?

~​
    ~ :headshake:´ I feel the same about the hateful underserved comments about our president. What really deserve a down vote from us all is the sorry excuse for government / politicians in America. Our children and grandchildren certainly deserve better. :censored:

foxxycat and maggiedemi purraised this.

2. orange&white

orange&white Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    But can Biden play saxophone like B Clinton or slow-groove dance like Obama? Not sure that Biden has any "special talent" made for late-night talk shows like most "winning" Democrats in the past couple decades. They must be likable and entertaining these days.

JamesCalifornia purraised this.

3. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas

4. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    All Biden has to do is be a better choice for women than Trump is, which is a low bar to clear. And, unfortunately, a lot of people like that kind of "benign" sexism, so that might fetch him some votes too. I'd personally prefer someone else, but if it gets Trump out. . .ugh, I guess I can put up with him.

micknsnicks2mom and muffy purraised this.

5. muffy

muffy TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 9, 2014
    Maryland
    I agree.

micknsnicks2mom purraised this.

6. maggiedemi

maggiedemi TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 26, 2017
    Northern NY
    I completely agree. :(

Stinky15 and foxxycat purraised this.

7. mschauer

mschauer TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    Really you ought to have realized by now that the political threads on this site are primarily for ridiculing whatever person you oppose. If you want factual, intellectual discussion of issues and agendas this ain't the place to do it. Probably no where on-line is. Too bad but that's the way it is.

JamesCalifornia purraised this.

8. DreamerRose

DreamerRose TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 11, 2015
    Naperville, IL
    It's a sad comment on American politics that we can't discuss who is best qualified to be president and must resort to insults and name calling.

9. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    I heard this morning that he is going to wait to see how Biden does. If it doesn't look like Biden will get the nomination then he will look at jumping back in. When Sherrod Brown announced he wasn't running people took that as a sure sign that Biden was running. Biden announced a few days after Brown's announcement.

10. JamesCalifornia

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles
    ~ That is good news. It looks like we can count on Howard Schultz to bring some sanity to the 2020 election . ( it's quite obvious how Biden is doing :drool: )

DreamerRose TCS MemberTop Cat Said:
    It's a sad comment on American politics that we can't discuss who is best qualified to be president and must resort to insults and name calling

~ :sigh:
    Yes it is. We have to only look at today's current crop of politicos / newscasters and "entertainment" celebrities that set the worst examples.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 2:25 PM
    maggiedemi purraised this.

11. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    Chris Matthews is holding a town hall in Dayton OH tonight which is televised. Dayton surprised me the last Presidential election, it was the only urban area in Ohio that Trump won. I lived in Dayton for about nine years before moving to Columbus and I wasn't expecting that. They were late to the party when it came to job loss but the last twenty years have been rough there and they have also been hit hard by the opioid crisis. I think this is one of the areas that a Joe Biden can win back but a Elizabeth Warren can't.

12. JamesCalifornia

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles
    · Justin Amash (R–Mich.) may be someone to keep an eye on. He is the libertarian Republican who voted for Trump impeachment. He actually appears to be a leftist libertarian. He has interviewed with CNN and has talked about tipping his hat towards the 2020 presidential election. I did a little looking and found a reason he may be unhappy with Trump ... CHINA . Seems the Amash family has business with the Chinese . Amash claims tariffs are not effecting his business or his political decisions.
    Could this guy be a future candidate ?

13. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    "Word on the street" has it that he's considering it. He's a "no name", like most of the Democrats, so not a big chance for him to gain much traction.

14. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    I think he was a member of the Freedom Caucus. I don't think he is anymore, I don't remember if he quit or was kicked out.

15. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    Biden's leading in Texas, with Beto a distant second (nearly tied with Warren for 2nd fiddle). We Texans are fickle like that. Beto v Cruz was cool for Senate. Beto loses to a "Yankee" Biden went it's national. Poor little puppy Beto.

Texas may be a swing state this election. Lots of Texans don't like Trump....and apparently "likability" rules in epidemic proportions this days over policy goals and platforms.

Trump’s reelection support is 50-50 in Texas, Biden and O’Rourke lead the Democrats, UT/TT Poll says

16. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    I just saw some poll results, it is still very early though. Biden is only two points behind Trump in Texas. Biden is six points ahead in Georgia and one point ahead in Ohio. Biden can pull out further ahead in Ohio if he campaigns here. I heard some interviews this morning with people in Dayton and that was the main theme. The nominee has to show up and listen to us as well as tell us what their plans are. I am going to be interested in hearing what people have to say in the town hall in Dayton tonight. Dayton was until this last Presidential election a Democratic stronghold. Hillary never went to Dayton, she came to Columbus once and Cleveland twice. Obama showed up in Ohio more then Hillary did and Hillary was the nominee. Of course we got more attention then Wisconsin, she never did show up in Wisconsin. People don't like being taken for granted, they tend to get angry and just stay home rather then vote. If the nominee can't be bothered asking for their vote then they won't give them their vote.

17. micknsnicks2mom

micknsnicks2mom TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 15, 2014
    ...with the cats...
    yes, Justin Amash was one of the 'founding members' of the house freedom caucus. my understanding is that he resigned from it, after not attending hfc meetings for some time.

he 'bucked' the gop party line (on certain issues) and stood up to trump, which was strongly disapproved of by other members of the caucus. this is similar to John Kasich and Jeff Flake, with repub politicians seeing/treating them as RINO's (repubs in name only) -- for daring to speak up when trump is wrong. personally, i respect Amash for speaking his mind, instead of toeing the party line on issues he disagrees with. it shows he has morals, ethics, and that he puts our country over (the repub) party.

i've seen parts of Buttigieg's interview on Face the Nation -- and i was impressed with him.

18. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    I am watching the town hall in Dayton. Among the people who voted for Trump very few were true Trump supporters, they just couldn't bring themselves to vote for Hillary Clinton. They will vote for someone like Biden or Klobuchar, they won't vote for Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders.