2020 Fancy Feast varieties? (& other options)

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
According to a few posts fancy feast classics are the better variety. For cats that don't eat pate not an option. How do the other varieties stack up against the better friskies flavors? or against other lower cost brands like Authority?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FF has a few other options besides pate - grilled, gravy lovers, and newer one called savory centers. Have you compared the ingredients of each of these to the classic pate to see how much of a difference there is? Feeby will only eat pate, so I have never tried any of the other varieties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FF has a few other options besides pate - grilled, gravy lovers, and newer one called savory centers. Have you compared the ingredients of each of these to the classic pate to see how much of a difference there is? Feeby will only eat pate, so I have never tried any of the other varieties.
I'm Hoping someone's already weighed out the differnce between at least friskies and fancy feast.

I used to keep 4health on hand for when they're still hungry, they're all gone and the closest tractor supply is way too far now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a link to a quite extensive list of canned foods and their ingredients - in case no one else comes along and has already done the comparison that you're interested in.
Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients
I've seen that chart, its mostly useless. Ingredients without quantities paints a very incomplete picture. And even with quantities its still apples and oranges. I compared very similar flavors between the friskies and fancy feast.

lne of many examples, at the 5th ingredient Friskies has soy flour (not soybean meal). Fancy Feast has corn starch at #5.

In terms of glycemic index, corn starch is much worse than soy flour... nutritional analysis is virtually identical except friskies has lower fiber.

Friskies Prime Fillets Beef in Gravy is $0.55 for 5.5oz ($0.10/oz)
Fancy Feast Grilled Beef in Gravy is $0.69 for 3.0oz ($0.23/oz)

Friskies seems to have as good or slightly better ingredients, as good or better nutritional value. And you get 130% more for the same price....

2 small cans of Fancy Feast is about the same price as a larger can of much better quality food like Marrick/Wellness /Weruva

People recommend fancy feast all the time (even vets) so it has to have something going for it, right?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies Prime Fillets Beef in Gravy is $0.55 for 5.5oz ($0.10/oz)
Fancy Feast Grilled Beef in Gravy is $0.69 for 3.0oz ($0.23/oz)

Friskies seems to have as good or slightly better ingredients, as good or better nutritional value. And you get 130% more for the same price....

2 small cans of Fancy Feast is about the same price as a larger can of much better quality food like Marrick/Wellness /Weruva

People recommend fancy feast all the time (even vets) so it has to have something going for it, right?
I don't know about FF and Friskies although Friskies wet food are sold in Turkey too but, I'm familiar with Gourmet Gold (it's like FF's sister Purina sells in Europe & Asia), and Pro Plan canned wet foods. So they are both also from Purina. Perhaps this might give an idea...

Their ingredients are seemingly very similar as well on the paper but I believe the quantities of the ingredients, and the meat they use differ. Like, Gourmet Gold turkey pate feels significantly greasier than Pro Plan Delicate which has turkey as main ingredient as well. And my Hima isn't as into Gourmet Gold as she is in Pro Plan and I know she doesn't like greasy foods in general. The animal product they use must be a fatty piece in the cheaper food.

And Gourmet Gold has only 4% turkey, Pro Plan has 14%. For Gourmet Gold the rest is fish. (If I'm not mistaken Fancy Feast has some "just one meat as meat" versions so this one might be different.)

More importantly, the more expensive one is higher calorie. On the box the recommended amount for a 4kg cat is 2-3 cans for Pro Plan. It's up to 4 cans for Gourmet Gold. So actually Gourmet Gold costs more expensive in the end if someone were to rely on that for full daily nutrition or half.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know about FF and Friskies although Friskies wet food are sold in Turkey too but, I'm familiar with Gourmet Gold (it's like FF's sister Purina sells in Europe & Asia), and Pro Plan canned wet foods. So they are both also from Purina. Perhaps this might give an idea...

Their ingredients are seemingly very similar as well on the paper but I believe the quantities of the ingredients, and the meat they use differ. Like, Gourmet Gold turkey pate feels significantly greasier than Pro Plan Delicate which has turkey as main ingredient as well. And my Hima isn't as into Gourmet Gold as she is in Pro Plan and I know she doesn't like greasy foods in general. The animal product they use must be a fatty piece in the cheaper food.

And Gourmet Gold has only 4% turkey, Pro Plan has 14%. For Gourmet Gold the rest is fish. (If I'm not mistaken Fancy Feast has some "just one meat as meat" versions so this one might be different.)

More importantly, the more expensive one is higher calorie. On the box the recommended amount for a 4kg cat is 2-3 cans for Pro Plan. It's up to 4 cans for Gourmet Gold. So actually Gourmet Gold costs more expensive in the end if someone were to rely on that for full daily nutrition or half.
TY for replying, I went into a google deep dive. I spent hours researching catfoods As you mentioned, quantities of ingredients are a mystery, as far as its possible to tell Friskies and Fancey feast are similar enough in ingredients to not matter. But in terms of macronutrients, there is a difference. Ignoring all the flavors that list seafood or meat by-product as one of the first 2 ingredients. Every Fancy Feast version is a 2-3% less carbs, either the same fat or slightly less fat.

Only 3 varieties of these foods had under 10% carbs
Fancy Feast Pate, Fancy Feast Chunky,
Friskies Pate (only one pate, Poultry Platter, is not mainly bi-product or fish)

Around here, Purina has Friskies, Fancy Feast, Purina One, Purina Pro Plan, Muse, Beyond
The prices go up 10-15cents a can in that order, after fancy feast the 5-6oz cans of premium brands start costing less, so there is no point buying Purina.

What I found really shocking is that the expensive wellness, blue buffalo canned foods have more carbs in them than any dry food Ive bought. That's going to be a whole new post.

In my area, Fancy Feast, 9Lives, Friskies are sold literally everywhere,

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I found really shocking is that the expensive wellness, blue buffalo canned foods have more carbs in them than any dry food Ive bought. That's going to be a whole new post.
To compare it, you’d need to first get the dry matter data for the wet food, excluding moisture content. There are some posts here explaining how to do it, you can use the search option. it’s unlikely any dry has less carbs than the canned.
In general pate food has less carbs, so both fancy feast classics pate and Friskies pate would be comparable. Although I think Friskies has carrageenan which is often no go for many cats. Other varieties are equally bad imo in both brands, as they require carbs to create gravy, morsels etc. What varieties do your cats eat? If shredded is acceptable, there are good affordable options (Miko on chewy), but other varieties are mostly full of carbs and fillers.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To compare it, you’d need to first get the dry matter data for the wet food, excluding moisture content. There are some posts here explaining how to do it, you can use the search option. it’s unlikely any dry has less carbs than the canned.
In general pate food has less carbs, so both fancy feast classics pate and Friskies pate would be comparable. Although I think Friskies has carrageenan which is often no go for many cats. Other varieties are equally bad imo in both brands, as they require carbs to create gravy, morsels etc. What varieties do your cats eat? If shredded is acceptable, there are good affordable options (Miko on chewy), but other varieties are mostly full of carbs and fillers.
I was splitting 4 cans between 3 cats per meal. Sometimes 5 cans is usually but not always enough, that 6th can usually gets thrown away but not always, I feel way better throwing away a 3oz can of something that cost under $1, but I also don't want to feed the garbage.

As for the purina stuff, I was referring to dry matter calculations ( sources differ a little but report similar )

Generally FF pates are 4-8% carbs Friskes 11-12% carbs. Fiskies pate's have double the fat too.
Comparec FF Grilled (meat flavor) in gravy vs Friskies Prime Filet(meat flavor) in gravy. FF are all around 14-16% dry , Friskies 16-20% dry. .
I manually calculated a few but there are plents of charts pre-calculated if a little out of date Catfooddb.com and Cat Food Chart from catinfo.org

Wellness and Blue Buffalo (aside from core and wilderness varieties) have higher carbs than the Purina equivalents (using dry matter calculations, which I don't think is correct regardless