2018 Mid-terms Coming Up Fast

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by doomsdave, Feb 12, 2018.

1. doomsdave

doomsdave Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Schumer warns: anti-Trump focus is a 'mistake'

Everyone's abuzz about this. I concur wholeheartedly with Mr. Schumer's comments. Positive change and a positive choice should be the theme. Hate will only get you so far. People are starting to listen, I think.

Two GOP congressmen from California are retiring i.e., not running for re-election, including my own [un]-beloved Congressman, Ed Royce. Ed Royce - Wikipedia So that's good news. The ugly face of Islamophobia in Orange County, California | Richard Adams

Track the California races that could flip the House

This will get interesting, oh yes.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    So, Cat Siters from Texas, any chance of a flip to blue there? What do you think, @mschauer ?

3. mschauer

mschauer TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    Given how often I see men in camo pants, military style boots and olive green t-shirts strutting around and spouting off about how important it is that we all have guns at the ready to fight back against murderous illegal immigrants, I'm going to say no.

4. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    If the Democrats would only give me someone I could vote for. Right after the special Senate election I saw someone on MSNBC talking about how they could keep that seat blue. This person was advocating go all out Progressive and I am thinking, this is Alabama what are you doing. The man that they elected is actually a Centrist and that is how they can keep that seat.

I have little doubt that Kucinich will be the nominee for Governor. I cannot vote for him and I don't think that he can win in a state wide election. The district that I live in has a Republican representative retiring. It is a soft Republican district, mostly suburban, it is the seat that Kasich held when he was in the House. I have heard some things about the probable Democrat running in this district and he is in the same mold as Kucinich. The main thing that the Democrats have going for them is low Republican turnout. If they continue running so far to the left that will energize Republicans to get out and vote.

5. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    We have guys (and women) like that here too.

6. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Know what else guns are for? Forcing people to stand for the anthem, apparently. Yeah that's not threatening at all :/.
    SIG's P938 STAND | A Thinly Veiled Shot at the NFL? - The Firearm Rack

7. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    Bob Corker is considering running again. There is a woman named Marsha Blackburn running in Tennessee and she is a lot like Donald Trump. Traditional Republicans are pressuring Corker to run again.

8. xlpooper

xlpooper TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 8, 2007
    South
  9. xlpooper

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    So, you actually, personally, have seen what you describe above?

10. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    What do you think "stand" means? Why engrave it on a gun?
    I do. You don't? Where do you live?

11. mschauer

mschauer TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    :lol: Absolutely! What you don't believe it?

12. xlpooper

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    Why not? It's a word.
    No I don't and I never have.

Is this about the Mid Term's?

13. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I've seen a lot of guns in my time and very few have words engraved on the barrel. You don't think their choice of "word" is meaningful at all?
    Cool. I bet if you went to the shooting range you'd meet a lot of them.
    Sort of! Those jackbooted thugs will be voting. Gotta go outvote them.

14. donutte

donutte Professional cat sitter extraordinaire! Top Cat

Apr 22, 2015
    Northern suburbs of Chicago
    We have someone challenging Rauner on the Republican ticket for Governor. Jeanne Ives is, dare I say, worse than Trump even. Trump has a big mouth and talks a lot of crap but this chick is downright scary. And had an extremely controversial and offending commercial. She is for Conservatives ONLY and has no problem saying so. She could care less about Liberal voters. She's transphobic, Islamaphobic, anti-choice... pretty much everything I DON'T want in someone who is in office.

And on the Democratic ticket, there's all this stuff about Pritzker having discussions with Blagojevich not long before Blagojevich was arrested. Anyway, doesn't make Pritzker look good for sure. Plus he said some thing about black people that came across as not so great. Although, calling the one guy crass didn't sound racist to me (and the guy IS crass).

Pritzker is pretty much the front-runner at this point. Behind him is Daniel Biss, who I really prefer but I have a feeling he'd never make it in the general election. He would have to find a way to win over the downstate folks. Chris Kennedy is a bit of a wild card. Don't know much about him unfortunately and he's third in the running.

All that said, I'm probably going to vote for Biss. Although I'm still not sure at this point.

I need to look up all the other races in the primary, as I'm not sure what other seats are open at this point. Everything is all about the gubernatorial race at this point in IL.

Lari purraised this.
  15. xlpooper

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    I don't think the word "stand" is bad,
    I also don't think standing for the Pledge of Allegiance of the United States of America is bad.

I didn't realize you frequent shooting ranges. :wink:

So, people who own guns are "jackbooted thugs"?
    Or is it just the people that go to' shooting ranges' that are "jackbooted thugs"?

The jackbooted thugs I've seen on Youtube are the hundreds of Anti-Trump people physically assaulting
    Trump supporters along with all the vandalism, arson and property damage they do.
    I also remember all the jackbooted thugs in Wisconsin who did all kinds of damage and all the death threats against
    Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker and his wife and kids, they sent letters threatening to gut his wife "like a deer". Now THAT'S what I call jackbooted thugs.

16. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I'm certain I've mentioned it before. My dad is VERY into guns. Like super duper INTO guns. I spent a fair amount of time at gun ranges with him when I was younger.
    These guys are the jackbooted thugs I was talking about. I thought that was obvious from the context, sorry for not making it more obvious.
    When engraved on the part of a gun one would normally shove into someone's face when threatening them, I think the meaning is clear. Unless you can think of a more logical explanation.

17. xlpooper

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    I don't think it's fair to call people names like jackbooted thugs because they wear camo pants. sorry

Bottom line, 'stand' is a word, it's NOT a threat, deal with it.

18. xlpooper

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    Yep, all those illegal aliens you got voting in California could flip the House.

19. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    If you think the camo pants are the problem and not this part "strutting around and spouting off about how important it is that we all have guns at the ready to fight back against murderous illegal immigrants"
    I don't know what to say. Sorry.

I thought you didn't know any guys like that anyway?
    Bottom line, there's no other reason to engrave the word "stand" on a gun barrel, deal with it.

20. mani

mani fervent feline fan Staff Member Moderator

Feb 28, 2012
    Australia
    Probably time to get back on topic everyone... ;)

jcat purraised this.