2018 Black Friday Sales

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Target and Costco have their Black Friday sales out:

Weekly Deals In Stores Now : Target Weekly Ad
Costco Black Friday Ad for 2018

Are you planning to brave the crowds on Black Friday and that weekend to snag a deal? Or will you wait for the Cyber Monday deals or put off holiday shopping until as long as possible?

I refuse to deal with the crazy crowds on Black Friday :headshake: I may shop at local businesses on Small Business Saturday. I don't think I need to buy too many gifts or cards :think: I am in need of a new computer so I have to shop for that, likely something I can just pick up at the local Best Buy or a computer chain to avoid a package being stolen by a Grinch:angrywoman:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm eagerly waiting for the Petsmart ad. They usually have Tidy Cat on sale and we stock up. I think we bought 22 buckets last black friday. I really hate being in crowds, but I'll do it for the cats!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found out that you can buy Petsmart items online and choose store pickup, and then you can go get it later after the crowds have left. So that's probably what I'll do with the litter sale. Maybe some canned Friskies too. I've always gone to the city after work and picked up the leftovers, but this way I won't have to worry about them running out. I have to figure out how many buckets I can fit in the van. . .:D

Other than that, no, I don't do Black Friday sales. Ugh, crowds.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Black Friday sales are strictly for pet food, Cosequin, bully sticks, and Whimzees. I pretty much always buy online because I hate driving.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't do crowds, I *mostly* stick with smaller local businesses, and I definitely don't buy a bunch of crap that my loved ones don't actually need.

Despite this all sounding like I'm Scroogy or something, let me assure you that I really friggen love Christmas time!! :hearthrob::evergreen::redheartpump:

Of course if I happen to see some easy to score cat food deal online, I'll grab it. But I'm not putting in much effort and I'm definitely not standing in line. :crazy:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only go for something REALLY good.

I'm scheduled to get a dental implant placed that day; so I will be focused on that. I'm just glad the oral surgeon is working that day. :rolleyes:

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Black Friday sales are strictly for pet food, Cosequin, bully sticks, and Whimzees. I pretty much always buy online because I hate driving.
What the heck are ully sticks and whimzees? I am assuming you are not a bully.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Target and Costco have their Black Friday sales out:

Weekly Deals In Stores Now : Target Weekly Ad
Costco Black Friday Ad for 2018

Are you planning to brave the crowds on Black Friday and that weekend to snag a deal? Or will you wait for the Cyber Monday deals or put off holiday shopping until as long as possible?

I refuse to deal with the crazy crowds on Black Friday :headshake: I may shop at local businesses on Small Business Saturday. I don't think I need to buy too many gifts or cards :think: I am in need of a new computer so I have to shop for that, likely something I can just pick up at the local Best Buy or a computer chain to avoid a package being stolen by a Grinch:angrywoman:
Aside from a few odds and ends...my Christmas shopping is done. :thumbsup:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
YES! I love Black Friday! We go through all the sales ads Thanksgiving night, make a list, and we're in the PetSmart queue outside the store at 5:30 Friday morning. We shop and shop, then grab breakfast, go home and go back to bed. Get up later on and do it again. I'm not fond of the crowds either, but for the cats, I'll deal. And since many stores are open on Thanksgiving, Black Friday morning really isn't that bad anymore.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not go shopping on Black Friday if someone paid me a million bucks. I hate shopping in crowds and I hate driving in a lot of traffic. I only give gifts to my nieces and nephews and I give them gift certificates. Getting in that mess is not worth it just to save a few dollars.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aside from a few odds and ends...my Christmas shopping is done. :thumbsup:

Nice, Bruce :agree:

The cats don't need anything besides litter and I can get a 48 lb bag from BJs anytime for $12. Raw food is never on sale :sigh: I do need to stock up on canned food. Maybe Petco or Pets Supplies Plus will include Weruva and NV in their sale this year:crossfingers:

For non-cat stuff, Target has a Rubbermaid food storage container set as a Black Friday only deal. Target had the same deal last year, too. I need a new set of containers. But I'm not sure if it's worth getting up super early on Black Friday to get them. Ancient state blue laws prohibit stores from being open on Thanksgiving here :rolleyes:

Gifts for other people, I have no idea yet :confused2:

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went Black Friday shopping ONCE (something for my kids) and it will NEVER happen again. Online shopping? SURE. Noisy, crowded mall shopping in the cold? NOPE. Looking forward to pet store sales. First year with pets and I didn't realize that was a thing.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WalMart supposedly has their Black Friday deals up. Walmart 'Black Friday' 2018: Here Are The First Deals The link to the full Black Friday ad says 2017:headscratch:

Amazon has some early Black Friday deals: https://www.amazon.com/Black-Friday/b/?ie=UTF8&node=384082011&ref=nav_cs_gb&tag=&tag=thecatsite

Home Depot and Lowes if you're in need of new appliances: Home Depot Released Some Big Ticket Black Friday Deals Early

Kohls: Kohl's Black Friday 2018 Ad, Deals & Sales Online sales start on Nov. 19 while the in store sales start Nov. 22.https://blackfriday.com/kohls-black-friday

I do a lot of my general shopping online now. It's just easier.

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice, Bruce :agree:

The cats don't need anything besides litter and I can get a 48 lb bag from BJs anytime for $12. Raw food is never on sale :sigh: I do need to stock up on canned food. Maybe Petco or Pets Supplies Plus will include Weruva and NV in their sale this year:crossfingers:

For non-cat stuff, Target has a Rubbermaid food storage container set as a Black Friday only deal. Target had the same deal last year, too. I need a new set of containers. But I'm not sure if it's worth getting up super early on Black Friday to get them. Ancient state blue laws prohibit stores from being open on Thanksgiving here :rolleyes:

Gifts for other people, I have no idea yet :confused2:
As far as "gifts for other people", buy yourself some $25 gift cards for local stores. If you "forget" someone, hand them one. For people you can't shop for, be honest and say "I had no idea what you wanted. Here's a gift card to a nice store, buy yourself something nice on me" and leave it alone. Had it happen to me a few times, and I appreciate it. I really don't need more theme socks or more novelty stuff. It's the thought that counts.
As crappy as it sounds, if you buy 5 $25 gift cards for those people who may or may not buy for you (and you feel obligated to give them something in return if they do), and hand out 4, that money won't be wasted. Use the card yourself for buying something nice for your spouse, or buying supplies or food for your animal shelter, homeless shelter, etc. Hell, get a good waiter or waitress at a restaurant that went above and beyond? Wrap it up in a dollar bill and leave it on the table. This way, everyone wins and someone will benefit.

I have a few people I shop for that have what they need, have what they want, and when asked what they'd like I get the "Oh, I dunno" stuff so gift cards it is if something handmade that they'd appreciate can't be done.
If gift cards makes you feel informal, go to the store, spend some time searching the cards, and buy them one that you think will make the laugh and stick the card in there with a personal, hand written note. Today, sometimes a hand written note from a friend is the stuff of magic because no one does that anymore.
If they're friends, they'll understand and appreciate your gift and card. If they act offended, don't waste your money or time buying for someone like that next year IMO. They ain't worth it.

I will turn inside out to avoid crowds anymore, but I do like some of the online sales. You can buy some nice stuff for cheap.
If you're done shopping for Christmas, use the Black Friday sales to think of people you love and do some birthday shopping. It pays to think ahead. Or in my case, it pays to look like a jerk and learn from it.

Back when we were very active in rescue, probably the best deals were people shopping for Christmas cats for their kids or spouses or whatever, and we convinced them that a busy Christmas day wasn't a good time to bring home a new little cat, so we helped them get things like food, bowls, a little bed, a little collar or harness, a litter scoop and a gift coupon to a local pet store to buy other things and wrap them up and put them under the tree for their kids/spouse/Mom/Dad/whomever.
This has created a lot of post Christmas excitement in kids that usually get moody after Christmas (all the fun is over, you know) when they realize their new kitten or cat will come home after the New Year (when things settle down.)

(I apologize for this lengthy post, but shopping for people can be almost impossible. I hate seeing people stress out over the Christmas season, when it's supposed to be a happy and enjoyable time!)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For work, I'm planning to make brownie bites. Everyone can share. I'm still debating whether to get separate critter-shaped chocolates for the core team as well :think:

I really only need to get a friend and her family gifts. I can get one thing the whole family can share, like a puzzle or game or something food-related, instead of individual gifts. The cats and dog can share freeze dried treats.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't do crowds plus I work that Friday. I always work that day though because I get paid time and a half and get 8 hours of PTO to use at a later date. Most of the gifts I'm giving this year are either homemade, gift cards or experiences like museum memberships.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely do NOT do Black Friday. However, last year, for some completely unknown reason, we decided we wanted a new TV. Costco had them on sale quite cheap, but somehow we kept moving up in size and features until we were looking at a 65" LG with OLED, 4HD, and all manner of other bells and whistles. On the Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving, we went to Fry's Electronics for one more search for a good price. Boy, was that trip ever worth it! We got a TV that was one step up from the one we'd chosen, and got it for $600 less than the original one. Then Robert wanted some Beats headphones and we got those at a big discount, too. We were tickled to get Black Friday prices on Sunny Wednesday. If we shop it will be on Wednesday. And on Friday we'll stay home, tucked under the covers, munching leftovers.