2013/14 How many cats do you have and how many is your limit

allytt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My limit is 3, I have 6.

We adopted and raised Mack as an only cat (we figured one cat and one rather large dog - a huskamute, was plenty), then couldn't bring ourselves to send Jackie back on to the streets after she was run over by a car and needed pins inserted in her back legs.

Milka we found and rescued one day while we were walking the dog, she was just skin and bones and also blind, we had hoped to find her a home as she is a pure-white Turkish Van, but no one wanted a blind kitty. Hasan was a foster from the clinic I work at, who turned out to be unsuitable for adoption because of a chronic digestive problem he has - so we decided to keep him. We figured one more wouldn't hurt!

Next came Silver,  we found her as a 2 week old abandoned with her sister on the end of our street, bottle raised them both and while her sister Bracken found a great home, no one wanted Silver. .

Also had 3 other bottle-raised fosters, Ayyas, Marjinal and Capulcu, however just last week we unfortunately lost Marjinal and Ayyas to babesiosis, Capulcu now has CKD as a result of the treatment she received for the babesiosis and as there is no way I would ever find a forever home for a cat with major health issues, she is now also a part of our fmaily.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have but would like to have 4. Leo is 8, Remy is 6 and Desmond is now 11 months. They get along fine but Desmond would do better with a young cat around with his energy level. My husbands limit is 3 pets period. Unfair I think because for many years we had 2 dogs and 2 cats. Realistically we have had huge vet bills into the thousands this year and hubby is right. If I had any more I couldn't afford the quality food and health care. For some reason hubby thinks we should save for retirement. Lol. He has a point. I wish we had more money because there are just so many cats that need homes and I get a lot of joy in providing the home and the love.

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one and my apartment isn't much bigger than a studio, so I couldn't get another, even though I'd love Lucia to have a sister, she gets on well with other cats, and I keep seeing people posting about kittens and cats up for adoption on Facebook because of the pages I'm a fan of...aaah I want to take them all, poor little things :(

I also have two that live with my parents, and I think they could cope with a third, but Billy and Max are older now and very comfortable and set in their ways so I don't think they'd be too happy about a new addition. If they got three together though, that would be different.

When I'm older and rich (hahahahaha) I'd love a huge house in the country and just adopt all the cats! But even then I'd have limits...we once adopted a cat from a shelter who had come from a house with 23 other cats (the owners moved and could only keep 5...so 18 got donated), and we think he was number 23 in the pecking order. He was absolutely mental and the most timid cat I've ever met - he was two when we got him and spent the first two months of his life hiding behind the sofa. We only had him a year before we put him to sleep because he had lung cancer, poor thing, at least his last year was a happy one :/ So...that taught me not to get 23 cats :p I want all of them to get the same amount of love and I don't want any to end up bullied by the others. I guess if you lived on a farm it'd be different, but I want house cats...

So...whilst I live by myself and am single cuz men suck...no more than two (if I lived in a bigger apartment). If I lived in a house and with another person, I think three or maybe four...I'd like to foster cats though as well, they wouldn't count in my numbers :p

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 8 and had 9. My original limit was 1 but when Chloe had her 7...I didn't have the heart to send them to the SPCA. We had Snickerdoodles but after she got sick and started to hate other cats I had to re home her. So my limit is at 8 now! lol

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 It is just Maia and I, she is all I need, and I think she is truly happy being a single kitty. She is my best friend, I am hers, I don't think she would ever be happy sharing me. In the past I have had 2 indoor kitties together, that would be my limit.

catlover3083

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2, Sadie and Cloe and that's my limit. We rescued them both from the same rescue group on the same day. They get along very well now and I enjoy them and wouldn't want to upset the balance that we have with them. Also since Sadie has feline herpes and stress can cause a flare up of her condition, we don't want to introduce another cat to the house. Both of them are healthy and happy and we can afford to give them a good diet and regular vet care as well.

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 3 and at this point I do not know what my limit is.

With Sophie it was love at first sight. She was thrown at the garbage and some kids found her and took her to a vet. From there she went to a foster and I adopted her when she was three months old.

I never really wanted Harley and Amelie. I wanted their "aunt" Meka, some feral I feed and TNR'd. I trapped them and took them to the vet as they both had herpes virus and Harley's eyes were awfully swollen. After two weeks of hospitalization at the vet, I couldn't put them in the street again. I would never ever give them up now, as they have grown in my heart and are as resilient and strong in my heart as the herpes virus.

But having to return Meka on the street after her spaying surgery broke my heart. Winter is almost here and that is so worrying. But my current situation does not allow me at this moment to take her in...

ETA: In the few months I only had Sophie, I thought she was happy as an only cat. I realize now, after seeing their interaction, that no being can be happy on it's own, no matter how solitary. So I strongly believe now that two cats are better than one, especially for the cats.

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We currently have nine on premises.  Six inside, with the seventh, our foster Madeline, on the sun porch.  Two outside in the enclosure - Schofield and his new buddy, Alfred.  Alfred was abandoned when the neighbors moved out in the middle of the night.  He is a sweetheart and I thought about getting him a home.  But he and Schofield get along great, so we will probably keep him.

Madeline was found, starving, at our county landfill.  She probably got locked in a truck or dumpster.  I've posted her picture all over the net (Missing Pets Network, Craig's List, Facebook).  Some replies but no luck so far.  If no one steps forward soon, I will find her a home.

Our original six, Halsey, Molly, Gracie, Chester, Teresa and Josephine, all found us.  We live in a two-bedroom, one bath home with LOTS of vertical space (I have six cat trees).  The don't cuddle that much but at least they don't fight (most of the time)

LGD and Betsygee - you are my heroes!

ps - if I have a limit, I passed it a long time ago! 

Last edited:

jessica1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Short version is we have five. Two is better than 1 as its nice for them to have a buddy. Four is manageable if you have space. Five is a little much . it's important to think about finances and space. Something we didn't consider, is how to sleep in a bed with three to four cats... Not well

I have a roommate and we started with one kitten in an apartment. A year later, we got a second cat. Two are better than one because they have another buddy to interact with when you are at work. First, never caused trouble, but second was mischievous and we had to teach her to stop destroying the furniture and got a garbage can with a lid.

After 13 years, and after moving into a house with basement and two stories, adopted two kittens and learned that it's great when you get siblings because they already have a play mate. As the older ladies had no interest in play, these brothers can wrestle each other.

One year later, a few months ago, adopted a stray off the streets (little guy started begging at the door) who died after only a few weeks. Heartbroken, I rescued a fifth, young cat from a shelter. Luckily, he gets along with and plays with the brothers and they are the same age. The older ladies are not thrilled but are okay as long as the new guy gives them space.

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright I'm really nosey so I'm just going to ask

People with lots of cats, how big are your houses?

Maybe a better question would be what's your limit per room? Six cats doesn't sound like a lot if you have a huge house or live in the country...in my three room apartment it would be disgusting ;)

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Three cats at my house. Cob Web was outdoors but I have moved her inside because she was injured outside. I love having three but it's very expensive. We've spent close to $1,300 at the vets this month alone on unexpected surgery ect. I once calculated how much our 4 cats at the time cost per month. I started with flea treatment and that's as far as I got. I thought it was best to not know! Lol! Don't get me wrong though. They are worth every cent. Just like my kids. I would go without rather than skimp on their care.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a two bedroom, one bath home.  But every room is large - at least 13' x 24' - even our bathroom.  We also have six cat trees and the living room floor is covered with cat beds, cubes and baskets.

The only thing we don't have is shelves on the wall but I'm not sure we'll go there.

Last edited:

jessica1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Small town home - 1200 square feet and a full basement, two bedrooms. Litter boxes on all three levels. Plenty of space for six indoor cats, but not always enough space for the humans in their own beds. Cats sure do like to stretch out, and they never sleep in their cat beds at night.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3. Miagi, Tiger & Angel. They are my limit and what I can afford. I don't plan on having more than them right now. :)  My 3 are the best!
I also have 3 dogs to care for so no more pets for me! :)

Last edited:

tisjaeso

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, long story short...I used to not fancy cats. However, all that changed and I am never going back!

So...originally, 1 was my limit. I don't even know why I got her but I did! And I'm very happy with her. :D

Then, my family recused a feral and he is now an indoor cat and so there goes 2. Cat #3 was rescued by my boyfriend out of nowhere. And we just rescued cat #4....

SO, I have four cats and I think my limit is 5. Mind you, they're not all living under one roof, but I do consider them mine as I do provide for them and give them all the TLC their hearts desire.:nod:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Well, long story short...I used to not fancy cats. However, all that changed and I am never going back!

So...originally, 1 was my limit. I don't even know why I got her but I did! And I'm very happy with her.

Then, my family recused a feral and he is now an indoor cat and so there goes 2. Cat #3 was rescued by my boyfriend out of nowhere. And we just rescued cat #4....

SO, I have four cats and I think my limit is 5. Mind you, they're not all living under one roof, but I do consider them mine as I do provide for them and give them all the TLC their hearts desire.
   ​I love this story of how cats have come in to your life, and especially that you still have room for more.    

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Alright I'm really nosey so I'm just going to ask

People with lots of cats, how big are your houses?

Maybe a better question would be what's your limit per room? Six cats doesn't sound like a lot if you have a huge house or live in the country...in my three room apartment it would be disgusting ;)
I live in a 13 room farmhouse on  2 1/2  acres of land... all my cats go outside but they aren't aloud to stay outside all night.  

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 14 need to go down to 11 or less not because I cant mentaly or fiscally take care of them its money issues

the most I had was 21 from july 4-6 after the 6 it was 20 tell recintly

so my limit mentally etc is 21<so far

money 11 or less