20 Year Old Kitty V/s 15 Week Old Puppy

daBoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My Boo is 20, and I'd like suggestions on a suitable out-of-reach space such as a tree, shelf, etc.

She does have arthritis, and currently uses a step to get into my bed, which is upstairs. Lately, she's been vocalizing during the day/night and appears to want to join us downstairs. She's my baby, and I'd love nothing more, but this puppy is overwhelming (to us all!) and therefore, she needs a safe area to hang out.

I'd love to hear suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Kathy

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can do one of two things, or both. You can either get a cat tree and put the old man on it. Or, you can start to train puppy. This is the perfect time. Whenever the puppy comes up to the cat, go over and claim the space. I don't mean by yelling, spraying, swatting etc... Just get up and back the puppy off and tell him "no". This will take many times before puppy gets it. It's also a good technique for the kitchen and the front door.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daBoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
...go over and claim the space.
Thanks kashmir64. Claiming space is a concept I've never thought of and it makes sense and sounds really doable for a novice of my stature. This is my first canine foray and I'm not young.

My Boo is not agile and she's introverted and cautious, so I was trying to find something stable, and simple, and easily accessible, with height out the puppy's reach.

I am considering wide, carpeted pet stairs, and maybe a shelf with steps. Thanks again.

Kathy