20 Year Old Cat With Hyperthyroid Issues.

jesselivengood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 In 6 months he went from being 19 lbs to 7. Constantly wants me to pour fresh food regardless how much food is in the bowl, has increased water intake. I have seen alot of left to right ideas how and what to feed him. I was naturally thinging high protien and hi sugar/fat food. He is 20 so I worry that idoine or any other treatment for the disease may be terminal. I am sure there is someone with a similar scenario and would only like responces from proven success not from , 'try this' try that' . Do't mean to sound rude but I have had him his entire life and want him to have some more happy years in him as he is still a normal happy , playing chase and tag your it with the other cats.

Thanks,

Jesse.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jesselivengood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wrote a long thanks but this kitty in question jumped on the kb and erased it all, lol. Long short, the doc did bloodwork6 mo ago cause kitty had boils. they are gone now. But that time the doc said either he may have cancer or hyperthyroid issues and due to his age would not test or treat either way. Fast forward to today, I have had a few days off from work to watch my kittys habits. he goest to take some food from the bowl and instead of chewing he drops it alot like maby it hurts. I dont know how many teeth my kitty should have but I dont see but a total of the 4 long ones in front and 2 smal ones in back, gums are nice and pink and no signs of abcess. So I got some moist cat food and he tore up a 4 oz can and 2 hours later tore up a second can in like 2 mins flat each, I am wondering if the weight loss is more consistant to either jaw pain or tooth pain, I will keep you upto date. I do know he has hyperthyroidism due to muscle mass loss but if he is having difficultys chewing that explains the drastic weight change.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jesselivengood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for reply. I took him to the vet6 months ago due to 2 big lumps over his shoulder, the vet did alot of bloodwork and lanced them, ended up being boils and happy to report they have not came back. But, at that time the doctor said his bloodwork came back unusual due to either cancer or hyperthyroidism. At that time he was fat. The doc said he recommends against any tests or anything due to my kitties age. Moving forward, it is obviously some sort of hyperthyroidism or difficulty chewing hard food. I been off work a couple days and that has given me time to watch him and his habists. When he goes to chew food, he drops it from his mouth alot, so i wonder moreso if its tooth/ jaw issues, his gums look healthy. So I got him moist food, he killed 2x 4 oz cans in minutes and has not thrown it up. So I will keep him on a soft food diet as much as possible and keep you informed if his weight seems to come back up. His muscle mass is down so I am sure it may be a double whammy on the poor kitty.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very possible that he's got tooth issues. I'd definitely get that checked out, as that is very painful for the kitty.  Also, there could be some kind of infection in his gums that needs to be addressed.