2 Year Old That Suckles His Blanket!

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Max lost his mother at a really early age he was a feral kitten and mama got run over by some cattle and was killed my girlfriend found him and his three littermates out in her Barn so that was the beginning and how this all started. He is 2 years old and when he sits with me after terrorizing the other cat and 2 dogs, he sits with me and suckles his favorite blanket! This is a new behavior that began about 6 months ago. I think it's precious but odd. Anyone else have this issue? He is partially siamese....

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My kitten first suckled his sister until she wouldn't let him do that any more and then he did it with blankets forever. I talked to the vet about it and she said he might do that forever, some cats are just like that. I don't remember how old he was when he quit, but he did grow out of it. He's 8 now and I didn't even remember he used to do that until I saw your post. :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s just a self soothing behavior that many cats do when they find the right material and especially when they are settling down to sleep, some outgrow it but many don’t.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, many cats wool suckle due to leaving their mums too early but it should be discouraged as the sucked in fibres can build up in the tummy and cause nasty obstructions. What material is his blanket? Wool is the worst culprit, and I advise that you find an alternative material or toy for him to suckle like a cotton catnip pillow, for example. I doubt you'll be able to stop his suckling habit at this stage so it would be best to minimise the damage the best you can. Daily furball treats might be an idea and could be given as a reward for suckling a non woolen fabric.

:goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info, his "blankie" is not wool and I'm an overprotective pet mommy and check ANYTHING he chews or sucks on, for my sanity and Max's health. Currently, he is laying across my chest, exhausted from MOUSING! I ruined a perfectly wild kitten and if he had his way I would carry him 24/7!