2 weeks post knee surgery - limping still to be expected?

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had patellar luxation surgery on his left hind leg 2 weeks ago and I was told full recovery would take 6-8 weeks. My concern is not so much that he still has some limp, but that it's the same kind of limp that existed prior to the procedure which was one of the main signs of the patellar luxation problem - that being that he limps most prominently after laying down and getting up. I'm worried that the surgery didn't work as that is still the case, he limps most prominently after laying down when he first gets up to start walking, then seems to start doing better although the limp is still there slightly. Is this just to be expected in any cat 2 weeks post knee surgery that they would struggle a bit getting up and going after laying down? Or is it a sign maybe his knee cap is still out of place after laying down?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has he not been back for a post surgery follow-up? I would call the Vet and ask them what is normal for this type of surgery. If it's not normal, they would need to examine him to see what's up what that knee.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would call, as well. I do know that post0knee surgery, PEOPLE will limp more after their knee has been in one position for awhile. I'm thinking that could be true for cats, as well, but certainly a call to the vet is in order, if only to ease your mind! And if something is not quite right, the sooner they see him, the better it will be!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update but I brought him for his 2 week follow-up and apparently he is doing very well according to the doc. And yes, it's expected for him to likely have some limp for up to 8 weeks and perhaps even a slight stiffness from sitting just going forward as he is getting older. Last few days he has definitely been improving though and it's certainly not as bad as the severe limping before the surgery.