2 Weeks Away From The Boys?

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to France for a couple of weeks in June and whilst Toffee and Fudge have had their first venture outside now and are becoming more confident and independent, the longest time they have been without human company is 8 hours and they love human company so I'm worried about how they will get on. They are of a semi-feral background though are very sociable now but they still get scared of new people and don't like being held if not on a lap. We have had two neighbours who have offered to take turns in feeding them and playing with them for a bit when we're away, but obviously the neighbours won't be there all the time, so I'm worried that they'll get lonely quickly since they don't really know what it's like to be without human company (not since before they were rescued). I don't want to send them to a cattery or a kennel because I've heard mostly bad experiences about them and I highly doubt Toffee and Fudge would like to be in that environment.

Does anyone have any advice or tips? Anything I can do to make them feel less lonely whilst we're gone?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They may be a bit lonely, but they will have each other, and that means a lot! The idea of a responsible teen to do their homework there is genius, if you can locate one! Your boys will miss you, but should be fine. And don't fret...they will NOT forget you...although you might get a bit of the cold shoulder for a day or two when you get back.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I second the idea of having a teen over. I would go so far as to ask a trusted teen or a teen of a trusted friend to housesit for you while you are gone. Last time my family went on a trip back when we were all living together my younger brother’s friend came over and stayed in the house while we were gone. It worked out perfectly since he was close to school, could feed and care for the animals, take out the trash, take care of plants and whatnot, and the house was being lived in so shady characters didn’t get the wrong idea. It was also perfect for the teen in question. He enjoyed getting away from his parents and siblings for the week (this young man was 16 I believe) and he got a taste of what it would be like to have his own place. At that age the little taste of freedom tends to be nice, and you can leave your left over food for him instead of tossing it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know a trustwothy teen that would be willing to do their homework at your house and have a play session with your boys while there?
I'm still in education myself though since I'm in higher education we have study leave for exams and most of my friends are staying at home so I'm sure that I could entrust one of them with access to my house whilst I'm away. I know that quite a few of my friends would love the opportunity to 'cat sit' so I might ask. Thank you.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They may be a bit lonely, but they will have each other, and that means a lot! The idea of a responsible teen to do their homework there is genius, if you can locate one! Your boys will miss you, but should be fine. And don't fret...they will NOT forget you...although you might get a bit of the cold shoulder for a day or two when you get back.
Thank you for the encouragement - that's made me feel a lot better! :)

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the idea of having a teen over. I would go so far as to ask a trusted teen or a teen of a trusted friend to housesit for you while you are gone. Last time my family went on a trip back when we were all living together my younger brother’s friend came over and stayed in the house while we were gone. It worked out perfectly since he was close to school, could feed and care for the animals, take out the trash, take care of plants and whatnot, and the house was being lived in so shady characters didn’t get the wrong idea. It was also perfect for the teen in question. He enjoyed getting away from his parents and siblings for the week (this young man was 16 I believe) and he got a taste of what it would be like to have his own place. At that age the little taste of freedom tends to be nice, and you can leave your left over food for him instead of tossing it out.
Thank you for your long reply :) It's definitely something I'll consider.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd post this here as a continuation of my wonders; but does anyone have any tips on training the boys so they can go to the toilet outside? Coming back to 2 weeks worth of litter would not be pleasant at all for both them and us! We already put their litter trays outside so they can get used to the environment.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No but I would pay said teen to facetime me daily & show me their clean litter /food at an agreed upon time. Plus your boys might like hearing your voice. (Pay the teen, it just a trust but verify cat sitter thing.) If you can pay the teen to come by at the agreed upon time every day a week before you leave it might help them feel more secure. Also you can try buying 2 t-shirts. Wear one every night for a couple of days before you leave & leave it on your bed. Mail your cats a t-shirt in a ziplock bag that has your scent on it so it arrives a week after you leave. Put it on the bed. That way they can miss you a little less. It might be worth the cost of overnight or express mail.

I left my boys for 2 weeks once. My clingy cat ignored me for an hour when I got back but they were find. They snuggled up together and my clingy bud even let my mom pet him after a week.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No but I would pay said teen to facetime me daily & show me their clean litter /food at an agreed upon time. Plus your boys might like hearing your voice. (Pay the teen, it just a trust but verify cat sitter thing.) If you can pay the teen to come by at the agreed upon time every day a week before you leave it might help them feel more secure. Also you can try buying 2 t-shirts. Wear one every night for a couple of days before you leave & leave it on your bed. Mail your cats a t-shirt in a ziplock bag that has your scent on it so it arrives a week after you leave. Put it on the bed. That way they can miss you a little less. It might be worth the cost of overnight or express mail.

I left my boys for 2 weeks once. My clingy cat ignored me for an hour when I got back but they were find. They snuggled up together and my clingy bud even let my mom pet him after a week.
Thank you for the response. That's a great idea about the t-shirt; I hadn't thought about that before but I'll take it on board! An update; Toffee and Fudge went to the toilet outside without their litter trays successfully for the first time today; so I no longer have problems there anymore.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another option buy disposable litter boxes and give them an extra one for every other day you will be gone (since they have outside.)

I just do the cat sitting trade off with friends/family.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another option buy disposable litter boxes and give them an extra one for every other day you will be gone (since they have outside.)

I just do the cat sitting trade off with friends/family.
Thank you for the response. We've got two neighbours who have offered to help with feeding and keeping them company. I'll look into disposable litter boxes definitely.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some positive news!
I just returned from my trip yesterday, and I'm very proud of Toffee and Fudge. It was as if we'd never been away and had only been out for a short while, since as soon as we opened the door they immediately came up to us for strokes and cuddles (we think the French kitty treats we got them may have helped somewhat!). They've both grown a lot whilst we've been away, Fudge has become more adventurous and has worked out how to climb into next door's garden now! Not phased by their two dogs at all, aha. Toffee we suspect was the runt of the litter as he never used to be able to meow and still can't purr properly (he also has problems with his tear duct and his eyes are often watery or gunky as a result making it look like he often has an eye infection) but now he has found his new voice and has spent most of today showing it off to us. I'm just so relieved as I was really worried about them retreating during our absence but they don't seem to be bothered by it at all, and they learnt to trust or neighbour who came in to feed and play with them.