2 week old tummy troubles

SaraF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I foster bottle babies and I’m getting concerned and wanted to know if y’all had tips or advice. I lost one of the litter a few days ago so.
Two are having greenish stool, and the other has more yellow brown stool, all very loose. There’s been a few spots of blood and they’re all losing weight, not wanting to latch but do happily swallow formula from a syringe. I switched from KMR to Breeders Edge yesterday because they seemed to hate the KMR and I was worried it was causing the tummy upset, or part of it. The symptoms have been going on for a few days.

I treated them all for coccidia, before the weight loss, because they originally had mucusy loose stool, with a low dose of baycox.

the most any of them will eat is around 6mL but the green makes me think it’s not being digested. So I’m worried they’ll just keep losing weight :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Green stool is indicative of bacterial infection in the gut or intestinal tract. This would explain the lack of weight gain. They need a round of antibiotics such as metronidazole.

How old are the kittens and how much does each weigh? How often do you feed?

In the meantime, try mixing their powdered formula with clear pedialyte instead of water. This will at least replace electrolytes lost through the diarrhea until they can be seen and treated.

Thank you for fostering! S SaraF

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

SaraF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They’re each about 185 right now, were at 200 (grams) just over 2 weeks old. I’m feeding every two hours right now.
I will do that. Thank you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they should weigh about 8 ounces at 2 weeks. Will the shelter vet treat them?

SaraF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The rescue I work with said the vet won’t see kittens this small. But I’ll send them a message about getting some antibiotics

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They most likely need metronidazole. It will be a tiny amount, but a 7-day course should cure them. Keep us posted!

SaraF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got enrofloxacin, for a tiny dose, from my rescue admin, and some extra pedialyte. Hopefully does the trick. Again thank you for the advice! I’ll be sure to update y’all 💜

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Enrofloxacin is good. You should begin to see improvement in the next few days.

SaraF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Already seeing improvements. Maybe just the new food helped and the antibiotics will nip it in the bud. They’re eating more (between ten and eight mL each) and acting more like happy kittens. Rolling and purring after they eat. No more weight loss and the poor girl who had squirts has more solid poos now (still very green)
I won’t count them out of the woods yet but it’s so nice seeing them happier.

I haven’t fostered bottle babies in many years so this group has been a learning experience, and I’m so glad others are so willing to help and offer kind words. 💜

SaraF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update! Petal has passed 8.5 oz. her brother Sprout is 7.5 and Flower is still lagging around 7.1 their poops are much better but there’s still some small clots of blood, mostly with Flower. I’m imagining whatever’s they had played havoc on their intestines and now it’s healing. But definitely keeping a close eye on them. They’ll be on antibiotics two more days. Hoping to see Flower make some good gains, but she hasn’t been losing any either

Attachments