2-week-old Kitten Hasn't Gained Weight

lfromm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm currently caring for a mama with 6 2-week old kitten fosters. 5 are own her birth cats and 1 is from another litter (from the shelter with a mama cat that didn't survive). He had 3 other littermates that didn't survive either. And, while he's hanging in there, I just can't get the "extra" kitty to gain weight. He's been at 165g for literally an entire week (so scary). He's active and strong (fights off the others during feeding time), has been feeding frequently and even developing (eyes fully open, ears up, etc) but no gains. I've tried to add additional KMR (via syringe -- but he won't take very much), have tried separating him from the others during feed time (but mama won't have it). Any suggestions?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try putting him to mom when the others are asleep so he gets extra nipple time, and continue with giving KMR. You may want to give the KMR first when he is hungry but before he nurses. Perhaps he will take more, then nurse.

At least he is maintaining rather than losing. Hopefully he will turn the corner soon and begin gaining.

Do keep us posted! :)