2 Week Kittens - Help Please

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So cute! I love the little calico one. And the orange boys. The mom was a tortie or a calico, right? Thank you so much for taking care of these little ones!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@jefferd18 Yeah, I posted that they’re 24 days old today (July 16th). :)
I started attempting to introduce a slurry if wet food and water today, I blended it so it’s super smooth and thin. They seem SUPER excited about it.

I’m not sure how I calculate it in addition to formula though for daily caloric requirement? Should I continue to meet their daily amount with formula and add the wet food slurry on top of that? What do you guys think? :)
The number of calories per can is usually written (in microscopic size) somewhere on the can. Or you can get it from the company’s website or you can call the company’s 800 number and they will be happy to tell you. The number will usually be in Kilocalories (Kcal); that’s the actual scientific name for what we call calories. Generally, there will be around 150 Kcal in a 6 oz.

So suppose you have 126 Kcal/6 oz can. Using the conversion factor of 28.35 g/oz, that makes 0.74 Kcals/g. Then you can calculate how much the kittens need.

If the can gives you the Kcal per Kg, then just divide by 1000 to get the Kcal/g.

If you are having problems with the calculation, just message me and I’ll figure it out for you.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The number of calories per can is usually written (in microscopic size) somewhere on the can. Or you can get it from the company’s website or you can call the company’s 800 number and they will be happy to tell you. The number will usually be in Kilocalories (Kcal); that’s the actual scientific name for what we call calories. Generally, there will be around 150 Kcal in a 6 oz.

So suppose you have 126 Kcal/6 oz can. Using the conversion factor of 28.35 g/oz, that makes 0.74 Kcals/g. Then you can calculate how much the kittens need.

If the can gives you the Kcal per Kg, then just divide by 1000 to get the Kcal/g.

If you are having problems with the calculation, just message me and I’ll figure it out for you.
:thud::headscratch: :stars:.....
This is a great post - you are really good at arithmetic (unlike me). I will start studying cat food cans now so I can understand better on how much food my kitties need.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Need advice.. We’re struggling to get the kittens to eat dry food and due to life circumstance they are all going to their new homes in 1 week. (They’ll be just over 8 weeks old at that point).

Currently they eat wet food super well but they are refusing dry food.
I’ve tried mixing formula into the dry food to soften it, mixing water into it, mixing dry food into their wet food (when I do this it seems like they try to eat it but have a hard time so they give up and don’t eat until I give them pure wet food again) and I constantly keep a bowl of dry food available to them through the day.

Any ideas on how I can help these kittens eat dry food?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can’t force them to eat dry food, especially this young. You need to let the adopters know that they eat wet food and that it’s best for them, but to keep dry food available.