2 Week Kittens - Help Please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Thank you for the reassurance I really appreciate it. I can be a bit anxious especially when it comes to my furbabies.
Initially I hadn’t even thought of FIP but then the vet brought it up and explained how if my older cat got it he would die and I had a mini freak out/breakdown because my old man cat is my baby. So I started to wonder if I had made an awful mistake agreeing to take care of these kittens.

I’m just hoping everyone will be okay and the older cat will be fine.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I understand your worry and I know first-hand the variances of vets, especially when dealing with ferals. I have been dealing with feral kittens from multiple areas since 2006 but I have not lost one of my own kitties to disease yet (except for cancer and ckd). My ferals outside range in age from 14+ to 4 years (I was on my own in TNR efforts so it took awhile to stabilize numbers, especially financially) and once the sickly ones reach 2 years, they thrive despite our extreme weather.
Please keep us updated! Your story will be read by desperate kitten guardians everywhere and will encourage people to foster which saves many lives :heartshape:

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
catsknowme catsknowme Thank you for sharing your story and helping to reassure me, it means a lot to know your kitties have been safe even with you taking care of babies in need.

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: The kittens are generally doing well. :)

The smallest one “little ginge” feels very round and firm specifically in his intestines.. His stomach and the rest of his abdomen is chubby and squishy and soft, but there’s an obvious round firm area lower down in his intestines.
I’ve been trying to help massage it in case it’s gas or poop and his most recent bowel movement was 2 days ago. So I’m hoping it’s just that his intestines are full of poop?

Any ideas what this might be?

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 You were right! He ended up having a huge poop! He had a well formed stool and then behind that he had built up some diarrhea. :( These kittens and their bowel movements are so infuriating, we’re back and forth between diarrhea and constipation. I don’t get it.

We have a small litter box in their nest area with pellet type litter and he moseyed right in and pooped.
I know it’s a bit early to have a litter box but so far all of them have been peeing in it and a couple poops have happened in there as well, we felt like there was no harm giving it to them as an option as we’re still stimulating them with every feeding.

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m wondering what you all think about moving feedings to every 4 hours? We were doing 3.5 and they were tolerating that well so I’m wondering if I could push it to 4pm to give myself a bit more wiggle room for studying/life responsibilities.

As of today they are 24 days old.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I answered above, and now again here.

If they will use the litter box that’s all the better! They may be a little more independent without their cat mom!

I would not worry about the sweet smell. And good he pooped! You won’t have to stimulate much longer. :)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
They are too darn cute!

Kittens are not weaned at 3 weeks old. :)

Definitely try the 4 hour feeding intervals. :)

She made the post of them being 24 days old on July 7th.
They are too darn cute!

Kittens are not weaned at 3 weeks old. :)

Definitely try the 4 hour feeding intervals. :)

You are absolutely right! I got the dates mixed up, I kept thinking that she posted on July 7th about them being 24 days old. 4-5 feedings are correct these little guys. But I still think she can start adding some solid food.

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
jefferd18 jefferd18 Yeah, I posted that they’re 24 days old today (July 16th). :)
I started attempting to introduce a slurry if wet food and water today, I blended it so it’s super smooth and thin. They seem SUPER excited about it.

I’m not sure how I calculate it in addition to formula though for daily caloric requirement? Should I continue to meet their daily amount with formula and add the wet food slurry on top of that? What do you guys think? :)

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 They seem content with the 4 hour feedings today. :) They’re sleeping right through until close to the next meal and then they stir/play a little!

It’s so cute how chubby they’re starting to look! I still burp them after every feeding and make sure they’re not feeling firm/hard with gas but just chubby and squishy to be safe.

I started introducing a watered down wet food slurry today as they are all becoming quite aggressive with the bottle. Continuing to bottle feed predominantly.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
jefferd18 jefferd18 Yeah, I posted that they’re 24 days old today (July 16th). :)
I started attempting to introduce a slurry if wet food and water today, I blended it so it’s super smooth and thin. They seem SUPER excited about it.

I’m not sure how I calculate it in addition to formula though for daily caloric requirement? Should I continue to meet their daily amount with formula and add the wet food slurry on top of that? What do you guys think? :)

Continue with the regular feedings but start to introduce some solid food to them. I either use wet food, or soak some kitten chow in warm milk. I put just a little into a shallow dish and then gently bob their heads down to it so that their noses touch the food. It will startle them a little at first but when they lick those noses, they quickly catch on.

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I’ve tried putting it on a flat Tupperware lid and 2 of them are super into it and trying to lick it up while the other 2 are confused. Haha.

I’ve been continuing to offer it at each feeding just to get them accustomed to it and gauge interest and then I’ve been giving them a little taste of the slurry with a syringe as well to help their tummies adjust and get them interested. :)

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
L Libby. I haven’t done any probiotics yet, is ben-bac a brand? Would I just add it to their bottle and how much?

Thanks for the tip! I was curious about probiotics. :)