2 Week Kittens - Help Please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, also what kind of weight gain should I be watching for daily? They’re making small gains bit by bit but nothing major.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They may be getting a cold, or simply reacting to something in the air.

They should ideally gain a minimum of 4 ounces per week. They should weigh about one pound at 4 weeks, 2 pounds at 8 weeks, and continue to gain about one pound a month for the first 6 months or so.

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Is a cold dangerous for them? Or will it pass on it’s own?

I really appreciate all your help.

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 The day is only just beginning here and so far just one sneeze. No nasal discharge or weird eye gunk so I’m hoping it’s nothing. If it is a cold will it pass on its own?

Just weighed them as well and we’re making gains, :)

Weights in same order as I’ve been giving them for each kitten:
220g
227g
245g
250g

They’re roughly 18 days old today.

Again no poop.. At this point I assume the formula just really backs them up. I’m not able to find any form of raw goats milk here though, (it’s illegal to sell raw milk here).
Continuing to put olive oil in their bottles and mixing with pedialyte. I’ll do suppositories this afternoon to help them along if need be.

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
catsknowme catsknowme No, the miracle nipple looks great but the only place I could find it for sale was amazon it was 60$ plus shipping and it wouldn’t arrive for up to 3 weeks, so it doesn’t seem like a feasible or accessible option for us unfortunately.

We have one kitten who is syringe fed due to her having difficulty swallowing and the rest are bottle fed with standard nipples that we make holes in. We make sure to switch out the nipple as the hole begins to enlarge from them chewing/mouthing at it etc. :) At this point they’re all eating well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, use the glycerin.

It does not sound like they have colds, which is good. However, a cold mostly causes misery and loss of appetite because of stuffiness for a few days. It’s not serious unless a secondary infection develops such as sinusitis, which would require antibiotics to clear up. Let’s hope they stay healthy!

The weight gains are excellent! :)

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

Okay :) I’ve noticed that both my cats (grown adult cats that we’ve had for years) sneezed a couple time this morning and my nose is also itchy. The tree pollen is quite high today so I’m starting to think maybe it’s just that making us all a touch sneezy.

I did teeny glycerin suppositories a bit earlier today and they didn’t poop.. The last time I used them they all pooped within 10ish minutes.

I’m so confused by these little critters. Does this mean I should be concerned about impaction further up? Or maybe they just haven’t formed poop yet? It’s been 48 hours now since their last bowel movement. I never thought poop could cause such anxiety! Haha

If they’re still semi constipated should I be watering the KMR powder formula down more? Or keeping it full strength?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep the powder full strength. That is their nutrition!

Are you using an appropriately sized sliver? It needs to be big enough. You said “teeny” - it may be too tiny.

Ah, pollen, yes, that will cause sneezing.

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 StefanZ StefanZ catsknowme catsknowme I’m going to apologize in advance but I’m freaking out right now.

I tried taking rectal temps with Vaseline to check and also to see if it would stimulate poop.
Two of the kittens had some yellow mucous but no poop and then the other two had poop on the thermometer when it came out and no mucous.

The kittens temps are:
36.2 C
37.5 C
38.1 C
37.5 C

I called the vet to ask her advice and she said I needed to bring them all in immediately for enemas. They made it sound super frightening and now I’m scared and don’t know what to do.

They quoted me 400$ for the four kittens enemas and it’s physically impossible for me to pay for that at this time, I just spent 200$ two days ago when I took them to the vet to be looked at.

I don’t know what to do..

The slivers of enema were probably a bit smaller then the first time I did them.. I see how that could be an issue.

Please help me figure out what to do? I’m a total basket case right now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whoa! Slow down. There is no need for you to stick a thermometer in these poor kittens’ tushies.

They are eating well and sleeping well, right? And had normal poops 2 days ago, right?

They are gaining weight and have no diarrhea, right?

I see no reason to rush off to the vet. Why did the vet deem this an emergency?

H Humblebee

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep the KMR what it is, but you can give some drops of water inbetween feedings, so they are well hydrated.
Possibly you will need to change the KMR into some other brand.

Re raw goats milk: its illegal to sell this for humans, the trick is they sell it for animals... But walmart sells frozen sometimes, so it cant be impossible. Otherwise, you can use almost any processed full fat goats milk. Meyenberg makes good gm in powder.

The 36 grades is a shade low temp. May need some warming up.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree the kittens need warming. They should ideally have a heating pad set on low under the blanket they are on. They cannot maintain their own body temperature the first 3 weeks without a heat source.

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Sorry.. I was already worried and then the vet super freaked me out.

Basically she just said she recommends they come in today for enemas and that they most likely have a blockage and that if we don’t get it dealt with it could be fatal. So I started panicking.

Yes, they had decently nice poops on Tuesday with the help of the glycerin suppositories. (There was some yellow mucous in a couple of the kittens stool that day but otherwise it was a good colour and a decent consistency).

So it’s been about 48 hours since they last pooped.

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I have a heating pad under their nest (half of it has heat the other half is not so they can get away from it) as well as fleece blankets for coziness and warmth. Is there anything else I can do to help heat the kitten with the lower temp up?

I’ll look into goats milk more, it’s been a struggle because I’m housebound and unable to drive, so my husband has been trying to find and pick up supplies either before or after he’s done work and most shops aren’t open at those times.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A warming lamp is good, best an IR lamp, for example such used by rheumatic persons. You can use this while you are feeding or handling this low temp kitten, so it wont be chilled off when away from this heating pad.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do not think they have a blockage. Did you say you are adding the olive oil to each of their feedings? And you are using 1 part powder to 2 parts water?

Just give it time. They will poop again soon.

Humblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ I have. Ceramic heat emitter bulb that I used to use for my hedgehog, but I worry that, that would cause them to overheat in addition to the heat pad? What do you think?

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Yes, 3 drops of olive oil in every bottle and I’m mixing the KMR 1 part powder to 2 parts liquid (I’m using pedialyte instead of water).
I ended up calling an animal pharmacy and the pharmacist recommended laxatone as an option as well as an enema if they don’t poop in the next 24hours. What do you think?

catsknowme catsknowme Other than them all sneezing their behaviour is good I think. They’re beginning to attempt grooming which is super cute and they’re sleeping, eating and peeing well. The one kittens temperature is a bit low which I’m worried about.. But no one is crying or behaving distressed or odd.