2 Pregnant Cats......help!

Bwalker08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay so please no judgement on our current situation. I have 2 pregnant cats *facepalm* Well I strongly believe they are both pregnant. My oldest one is about a year and a half, her names Dinah. Her symptoms are bigger belly(she's always been a thin cat), her little nips aren't so little anymore, and the constant meowing! Now my second cat her names Minie (My-knee my 4 year old named her lol) I'm not quite sure on her age, I found her in the park, very young and frail. She must be almost a year or so. She's very small, like I honestly think too small! But she has all the same symptoms as Dinah. I seriously want to cry. I know I should have gotten them spayed but it honestly kept slipping my mind, especially now that I'm going to deliver my own baby in 10 weeks! They got out of the house one day and they have never been outside before, besides Minie. We were having our house remodeled and once the door opened they booked it out! My SO said he heard cats screaming outside while they were out and we noticed at least 3 male cats in our yard! We never witnessed them mating or anything so we're honestly assuming we have some pregnant mommas!
So any advice on our situation? How can we keep 2 pregnant cats happy(and this prego here) and any insight on what to be expecting later on down the road(besides the obvi, SPAYING!!!!!) Thank you guys!

Oh also, the time frame was around March 14th.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You will have your hands full with 2 litters on the way, plus your own baby!

The cats can be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old. The kittens can be spayed and neutered at 8 weeks also.

The cats need to have dry kitten chow available 24/7, and several wet food meals each per day to support their pregnancies and nursing.

Here are some links to get you started. We are happy to answer questions!

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Welcome to TCS! :wave3:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Actually, cats can be safely spayed even if they are pregnant. It is a very difficult decision, especially if you, like me, are anti-abortion; my vet will spay even if the cat is in labor. There are so many unwanted kittens that even if you have homes for the ones that will be born, that is just fewer homes for other kittens already born. Life isn't perfect and even if the kitties got preggers under your watch, at least you have given them a home and they are not on the streets, faring for themselves and having feral kittens. And if you decide to let the pregnancies come to term, hopefully you will have a "nursery area" where the mama kitties can raise their little families - fortunately, cats tend to be excellent moms and don't need the extra support that some mother dogs do (puppies seem to need more attention and some dogs reject some of the puppies so that you have to bottle feed, even with mama dog present). I would advise asking your vet about getting the cats vaccinated because there are some diseases that they can pass on to the kittens which don't show up until the kittens are about 3 weeks old. And BLESS you for taking in those kitties even though you have your hands full with your growing family - you are a real trooper!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bwalker08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 - Thank you! I greatly appreciate the insight. I've had a cat have kittens before but I'm sad to say that was like 15 years ago and I was young. So the links are actually very helpfu!

Catsknowme - I honestly couldn't do that, I'm a very emotional person and I just can't handle the thought of terminating a life. I'm praying that they don't have a whole bunch of kittens. My SO has already decided to keep a kitten from Dinahs litter so
that's one less to find a home for. I don't have a nursery area but I can surely make one. I have noticed Dinah sleeping in the bathroom lately, before she would never go in there but every time I go to shower she's laying right in front of the tub. I surely hope that's not where she will decide to have her litter, lol. I will definitely speak with him, but I believe I will take them both to a low cost spay and neuter place due to funds and I'll have a lot of little ones to work on! As for taking them in, it's really not a problem. I love animals and I can't stand to see one on the side of the road or just anywhere stranded. As for all the kittens we seem like we're about to have, I'll just have to take it one day at a time. SO is going to have a time cleaning out the litter boxes due to me being pregnant lol!

When do y'all think an estimated due date would be?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please do NOT vaccinate a pregnant cat. The vaccines can cause birth defects and miscarriage. We've just seen these issues on another recent thread.

If the date you mentioned is actually when they conceived, they should be about 5 weeks along now. They would be due around May 18-26.

Bwalker08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I wouldn't have vaccinated them while pregnant. I'm not allowed any vaccines right now so I assume same for cats.

This is a little nerve racking I don't believe I am ready to be a grandma lol. And I'm also nervous about Minie delivering, she's just so tiny, you would look at her and think she's just a kitten herself!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was March 14th the absolute ONLY time they've been outside? If so, cats are pregnant for 64-67 days, and May 18th would be 65 days. So around then, give or take a couple days.

Cats usually drop 4 eggs; one or more might split and you'd get more kittens, or one or more might not implant and you'd get fewer kittens, but 4 is the average. Although first litters can be unpredictable. But definitely make plans for at least 8-10 kittens, if they have fewer you can be overprepared, being underprepared would be worse.

Bwalker08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That I know of yes. I'm not sure if they could have gotten out any other time, I've only witnessed them outside that one time. But if they got out when my SO was home then there's really no telling. I surely hope he wouldn't let them out and not tell me.

I talked with someone at my work about my cats possibly being pregnant, hes dealt with numerous cat pregnancies(I'm pretty sure he doesn't spay or neuter his cats which breaks my heart) but he's very familiar with the laboring process and told me if I ever get worried to just call him and he'd be there to offer his assistance.

Our family cat when I was younger ended up having about 4 liters before my mom decided to get her fixed. I definitely don't want that, especially since I remember people coming to take kittens away and I cried like a baby, don't want to put my daughter through that.

Also, Dinah is a tortie I believe looks like a calico but predominantly black. Minie I'm not quite sure what she is, she's tabby colored but has absolutely NO TAIL! not even a little nub! SO thought she was part rabbit before I told him that it was completely impossible for that to happen lol. Do y'all have any idea as to what kind of cat she could be?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tailless is a gene like any other, that can pop up in the general population. If she is genetically tailless, some of her kittens may be tailless. If she met with an accident early in life, then it's not genetic, lol.

Bwalker08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well that's neat. I know when I was little our cat ended up having a kitten with no tail(he was such a pain in the butt, one of the meanest cats EVER!!!!) and he was solid back not a speck of white anywhere with the prettiest emerald green eyes. Beautiful cat just horrible personality lol.

I went ahead and told my boss that my cats may have kittens in the next month or so and to not be surprised if I'm not able to come in! Lol.

JazminL

Nemo&Nina
Kitten
Purraise
Hi , did your cats have there Kitten's? How was it ? Did they cope well? How many did they have x

JazminL

Nemo&Nina
Kitten
Purraise
Well that's neat. I know when I was little our cat ended up having a kitten with no tail(he was such a pain in the butt, one of the meanest cats EVER!!!!) and he was solid back not a speck of white anywhere with the prettiest emerald green eyes. Beautiful cat just horrible personality lol.

I went ahead and told my boss that my cats may have kittens in the next month or so and to not be surprised if I'm not able to come in! Lol.
Hi , did your cats have there Kitten's? How was it ? Did they cope well? How many did they have