2 of our 4 cats just got FIV+ diagnosis, what now?

Lemonlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I just got the news that 2 of our 4 cats are FIV+ and I would love some advice on how to proceed. I'm devastated and feeling guilty because we adopted 2 kittens last summer and may have exposed them to FIV+, we have an appointment to get them tested next week. The vet recommend that we completely separate the cats if they are negative because he feels the risk of transmission via sharing food, water and a litter box is high. However, the research I've been doing online suggests that cats can live together without transmitting the disease as long as there is no fighting.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am surprised your vet gave you that advice. FIV is transmitted by deep bite wounds. As long as your cats get along then there is little to no chance of transmission. I think sometimes people confuse it with FeLV or leukemia which is much more contagious. I would not risk keeping a FeLV positive and a FeLV negative cat together. Most FIV cats live long lives with no major health issues. They are at a slightly higher risk of developing autoimmune type issues.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
The vets and staff at the shelter where I volunteered told me that FIV is not transmitted through the casual contact your vet describes. And my own vet has said the same: it’s transmitted through deep bite wounds, not sharing food, water and litter. I know there are members here at TCS who have FIV+ and non-FIV cats together and because they get along and don’t fight, haven’t found it to be an issue.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, your vet is mistaken. It takes a deep bite. We have a LOT of members whose FIV+ cats have lived happily and safely with their FIV- cat for YEARS! Take a deep breath, and relax. Sometimes, the vet is wrong. If he is older, his education may have happened before we know what we now know about FIV.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lemonlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all, it makes me feel better to hear that. We just switched to this vet because he was much better than our previous vet but I'm wondering if maybe we should switch again to someone who is current on FIV. Our vet is very adamant that while the virus is mostly spread through bites, it can spread through sharing food if the viral load is very high

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't say ANYTHING is impossible, but I have NEVER heard of it doing so. Never. And we've dealt with hundreds of FIV+ cats here. SOMEONE, call me on this if I'm mistaken, here!

Lemonlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's a relief, I'm really praying that they're tests come back negative. Do you have any tips on caring for cats with FIV

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
According to the staff at the place I used to volunteer, it’s important that they be indoor-only. FIV+ cats are extremely susceptible to infection and the infections tend to be more serious. Also, they can transmit it to other cats with whom they come into contact if they get into fights.

FIV+ cats are also prone to stomatitis so you need to keep an eye on their mouth and gums. Very painful. Several of the FIV+ kitties at the shelter had to have their teeth removed, but they did extremely well after that and were able to eat with no problems after they recovered. They were fed mostly pâté style food.

My observation over three years spending time with the FIV+ cats was that they lived happy, mostly healthy lives!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know many people with FIV+ and FIV- cats who live happily and healthily together without any problems.

Our experience has just been different because Buddy had been a stray for a long time before we took him in, and his immune system was pretty worn down. So the vet recommended some supplements to help strengthen his immune system.

We were told that we shouldn't try to "boost" Buddy's immune system, but to try to "modulate" it so that it's neither too active, or not active enough. Kinda like the Goldilocks standard, where it's juuuust right. :)

We were also told that a diet of good quality foods could be helpful to keep him healthy, but that's true for any cat! The vet also told us that stress can wear down an FIV+ kitty's immune system and make him more susceptible to infections, and recommended that we get some Feliway diffusers. We also give our cat some supplements to help to alleviate stress, but that's mostly because Buddy also has a history of urinary tract problems.

However, none of that may apply to your cats' situation, and you may not need to do anything special except for being more diligent re: your FIV+ kitties' dental care, as Tobermory Tobermory said.

One lesson we learned the hard way is that FIV+ kitties can require longer courses of antibiotics when they get sick. But we live a little off the beaten path in a little town, so sometimes I think the vets learn along with us. :wink:

Lemonlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know many people with FIV+ and FIV- cats who live happily and healthily together without any problems.

Our experience has just been different because Buddy had been a stray for a long time before we took him in, and his immune system was pretty worn down. So the vet recommended some supplements to help strengthen his immune system.

We were told that we shouldn't try to "boost" Buddy's immune system, but to try to "modulate" it so that it's neither too active, or not active enough. Kinda like the Goldilocks standard, where it's juuuust right. :)

We were also told that a diet of good quality foods could be helpful to keep him healthy, but that's true for any cat! The vet also told us that stress can wear down an FIV+ kitty's immune system and make him more susceptible to infections, and recommended that we get some Feliway diffusers. We also give our cat some supplements to help to alleviate stress, but that's mostly because Buddy also has a history of urinary tract problems.

However, none of that may apply to your cats' situation, and you may not need to do anything special except for being more diligent re: your FIV+ kitties' dental care, as Tobermory Tobermory said.

One lesson we learned the hard way is that FIV+ kitties can require longer courses of antibiotics when they get sick. But we live a little off the beaten path in a little town, so sometimes I think the vets learn along with us. :wink:
Thanks for the information, do you have recommendations for supplements and foods? I go into the pet store and get so overwhelmed. My sister has been the one taking our cats to the vet so I haven't talked to him directly, but it sounds like he doesn't have much to offer in terms of treatments ideas. He basically said there's not any treatment but cats can live a shorter, but healthy life with the disease.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information, do you have recommendations for supplements and foods? I go into the pet store and get so overwhelmed. My sister has been the one taking our cats to the vet so I haven't talked to him directly, but it sounds like he doesn't have much to offer in terms of treatments ideas. He basically said there's not any treatment but cats can live a shorter, but healthy life with the disease.
It's true that there's no cure for FIV. But there are some researchers working on it, so you never know. ;)

Unfortunately, many vets aren't as up to speed as others about cats with FIV. So sometimes you have to do your own research so you can be the best advocate possible for your kitties that you can. Back when we took Buddy in, several vets recommended putting him down because it was just assumed that he'd live a short, miserable life. Thankfully, I met some very nice people who had had cats with FIV for nearly twenty years without needing to do anything special for them, and that gave me hope, especially at a time when I really needed it.

L-lysine is often recommended for cats with FIV, although now it's debatable whether or not it's as helpful as once thought. However, every time we try to discontinue it, Buddy gets a wicked herpes flare up (yet another one of his health issues), so we continue to give it to him. We just use Viralys because it's the brand that has worked best for Buddy, but there are other good brands of L-lysine, as well as other forms, such as gels or pastes, and treats. Then we double the dosage during flare ups.

Lactoferrin is another supplement that was recommended for Buddy because it helps to modulate a kitty's immune system. But it can upset some cats' tummies, so some sources suggest that you start out with just a sprinkle here and there, and gradually work up to the full dosage. Like L-lysine, the dosage can be doubled during flare ups.

Most recently, our vet recommended melatonin. We use Swanson, only because the capsule is so tiny. Buddy has several health issues that are completely unrelated to his FIV status, and we just want to keep the size of his med/supplement cocktails as small as possible.

Check with your vet to see if he/she thinks any of those supplements might be appropriate for your cats with FIV. :)

As for food recommendations... *sigh*

I'm probably the last person in the world to offer advice there, as Buddy also has several food allergies/sensitivities and a history of urinary tract issues that are partly diet related. So I tend to think on an entirely different wavelength when it comes to cat food. But generally speaking, I'd purr-sonally recommend a wet food only diet that's low-ish in carbs, and try to steer clear of fish based foods except as an occasional treat (article from Little Big Cats: Why Fish is Dangerous for Cats). For what it's worth, my non-FIV kitty absolutely adores the non-fish Fancy Feast Classic flavors. They're pretty low in carbs, don't contain grains or lots of fillers, and they're very budget friendly.

If you want to learn a bit about feline nutrition, catinfo.org is an awesome source of info. It also includes a Protein/Fat/Carb/Phosphorus Chart, which we found helpful to find some lower carb options.

Or you might try using the search feature on this site to see what kinds of foods other members have recommended, or post a new thread asking for recs.

Good luck, and wish you and all of your kitties all the best! :heartshape:

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
FIV+ cats can live long, healthy lives. As other posters have said, FIV+ and FIV- cats can live together, because FIV is only spread through deep bite wounds (FeLV is the virus one needs to be super careful with because it is spread through bodily fluids). Here is a Cole and Marmalade video that gives some great info. In case you hadn’t heard of Cole and Marmalade before, they are YouTube cats, and Marmalade is FIV+.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
And yet again I am reminded why I love this site so much. Members are such an amazing resource through their own experiences and also by scanning the environment and passing along other valuable info about kitties and their care! :grouphug:

Lemonlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's true that there's no cure for FIV. But there are some researchers working on it, so you never know. ;)

Unfortunately, many vets aren't as up to speed as others about cats with FIV. So sometimes you have to do your own research so you can be the best advocate possible for your kitties that you can. Back when we took Buddy in, several vets recommended putting him down because it was just assumed that he'd live a short, miserable life. Thankfully, I met some very nice people who had had cats with FIV for nearly twenty years without needing to do anything special for them, and that gave me hope, especially at a time when I really needed it.

L-lysine is often recommended for cats with FIV, although now it's debatable whether or not it's as helpful as once thought. However, every time we try to discontinue it, Buddy gets a wicked herpes flare up (yet another one of his health issues), so we continue to give it to him. We just use Viralys because it's the brand that has worked best for Buddy, but there are other good brands of L-lysine, as well as other forms, such as gels or pastes, and treats. Then we double the dosage during flare ups.

Lactoferrin is another supplement that was recommended for Buddy because it helps to modulate a kitty's immune system. But it can upset some cats' tummies, so some sources suggest that you start out with just a sprinkle here and there, and gradually work up to the full dosage. Like L-lysine, the dosage can be doubled during flare ups.

Most recently, our vet recommended melatonin. We use Swanson, only because the capsule is so tiny. Buddy has several health issues that are completely unrelated to his FIV status, and we just want to keep the size of his med/supplement cocktails as small as possible.

Check with your vet to see if he/she thinks any of those supplements might be appropriate for your cats with FIV. :)

As for food recommendations... *sigh*

I'm probably the last person in the world to offer advice there, as Buddy also has several food allergies/sensitivities and a history of urinary tract issues that are partly diet related. So I tend to think on an entirely different wavelength when it comes to cat food. But generally speaking, I'd purr-sonally recommend a wet food only diet that's low-ish in carbs, and try to steer clear of fish based foods except as an occasional treat (article from Little Big Cats: Why Fish is Dangerous for Cats). For what it's worth, my non-FIV kitty absolutely adores the non-fish Fancy Feast Classic flavors. They're pretty low in carbs, don't contain grains or lots of fillers, and they're very budget friendly.

If you want to learn a bit about feline nutrition, catinfo.org is an awesome source of info. It also includes a Protein/Fat/Carb/Phosphorus Chart, which we found helpful to find some lower carb options.

Or you might try using the search feature on this site to see what kinds of foods other members have recommended, or post a new thread asking for recs.

Good luck, and wish you and all of your kitties all the best! :heartshape:
Thank you! I actually have some veralysis leftover from when one of cat had a respiratory infection. Thanks for all the info!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 6 cats, 2 FIV+. They all co mingle and do just fine together. One of the FIV+ boys got into a scuffle with one of the other non FIV cats. He bit him hard which required vet care. I was concerned that the bite might have led to FIV. I have since had this cat tested twice. He still remains negative!

I give VetriScience DMG liquid in their food daily. Recently the cats all had some runny eyes and sneezing. I doubled the dosage of DMG and added in l lysine chews. Within a few days all were normal again.

I feed them the highest quality food I can. I also keep a close eye on their health. Having FIV means the immune system can be compromised. Sometimes illnesses take a bit longer to go away.

My two FIV+ boys are 6 and 8. Both are former feral cats that now live inside full time.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I just got the news that 2 of our 4 cats are FIV+ and I would love some advice on how to proceed. I'm devastated and feeling guilty because we adopted 2 kittens last summer and may have exposed them to FIV+, we have an appointment to get them tested next week. The vet recommend that we completely separate the cats if they are negative because he feels the risk of transmission via sharing food, water and a litter box is high. However, the research I've been doing online suggests that cats can live together without transmitting the disease as long as there is no fighting.
Your dvm is wrong. It is transmitted from a deep puncture bite by an infected cat to another cat. Saliva to blood transmission. Or maternally, but this is rare and most kittens clear it since it is transmission of protective antibodies. It is not transmitted through sharing food dishes, water, litter boxes or grooming etc. if your fiv cats are not aggressive it is very unlikely. My Wizard was fiv + he was healthier than all of my other cats for most of his life. He lived until 19-20 years! It was never transmitted to my other cats. He was very gentle and never bit or scratched. It is not like felv which can be more easily transmitted and which can be fatal more rapidly. Even felv cats can live for quite a while if well cared for.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your dvm is wrong. It is transmitted from a deep puncture bite by an infected cat to another cat. Saliva to blood transmission. Or maternally, but this is rare and most kittens clear it since it is transmission of protective antibodies. It is not transmitted through sharing food dishes, water, litter boxes or grooming etc. if your fiv cats are not aggressive it is very unlikely. My Wizard was fiv + he was healthier than all of my other cats for most of his life. He lived until 19-20 years! It was never transmitted to my other cats. He was very gentle and never bit or scratched. It is not like felv which can be more easily transmitted and which can be fatal more rapidly. Even felv cats can live for quite a while if well cared for.
Very correct from all I've heard & read!:)