2 of my current foster babies are true abinos, I'm pretty worried........

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are from a Siamese mix momma cat and an all white blue eyed father cat. I read that siamese cats are more likely to have albino babies.

These 2 are pure white, very pink skin, and both have blue eyes but with a pink/red tint.

They are about to turn 3 weeks old on Monday.

One male, one female. The male I am quite sure is blind, but they both might be, and it's too early to tell if either or both are deaf.

I know this is extremely rare, and albinos are considered good luck and all that, but that's unimportant to me basically. I am very concerned here, about their future.

Today I discovered the one blind male has a bit of nose congestion so I started the 2 on clavamox. He also seems a bit dehydrated although I don't know why he would be. They have a very attentive mom. She will use one for a pillow and her arms wrapped around the other...all the time, she is always hugging one of them.

She also hides the one behind her like she knows. Could she know?? Odd. Incredible actually.

I've been cruising through the internet for information and it's pretty sparse. Bits and pieces here and there, but nothing solid like a group who only discusses true albinos, their issues and so on.

Here's pics- I just put ointment in their eyes too so they look kinda wet/funny. You can see in the second pic the pupils don't look quite right. I wasn't able to capture the red glow but it's there.

Anyone out there ever have or know anything about this? Def. a first for me, Over the years I've rescued thousands, and have never had an albino so they must really be rare. I know nothing....:(

Are they going to have issues? Live a shorter life? I read that somewhere today.

Difficult to train if they are deaf AND blind?

They sure are sweet though :)

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, thank you as always for taking them in and giving them somewhere safe to grow up. You truly are amazing with all the rescue work that you do! 

I'm so sorry to hear all of your concerns for these sweet babies. I unfortunately don't have any specific answers to your questions but did want to provide some reassurance with the things that I do know. As backwards as it seems my experience in the shelter world has been that cats (and especially kittens) with "defects" tend to get adopted a lot quicker than otherwise "normal" cats. I think people go into the shelter and see these cats and think that they have no chance of getting adopted, fall in love, and take them home. Especially considering how beautiful all white cats are I truly believe they will have no trouble finding a family that wants them! I'm not sure how you conduct your fostering but my only advice there would be to keep them in foster until they find a forever home versus having them go back to be adopted out. My guess is that they would have to be caged for safety reasons and that's not going to do them any favors.

In terms of their actual development, everything I have read/heard seems to indicate that blind and/or deaf cats seem to adjust really well and have a high rate of functioning. I know there are even ones who, if you didn't know that they couldn't see or hear than you wouldn't know. Especially being born this way they don't know it can be any different and will learn how to adapt to their surroundings using the senses that they do have. That said, there are definitely things that can be done to help them along. I read the tip somewhere that, when raising a deaf kitten to use light to communicate with them. So, maybe you work on training where, if you want them to come you turn a flashlight on and off. And, to announce that there are people in the room flick the light switch on and off a few times. I have had great success in clicker training many of my foster kittens (and my own cats). Essentially, you wait until they perform the behavior that you want and then make a sound and give them a treat. The sound marks the behavior while the treat reinforces it. After they have done it for awhile you replace the sound with the command. Training a deaf kitten would be no different except you would use the light instead of the sound. I would even think you could train them to respond to different lights or turning it on and off a certain number of times to indicate different things same as verbal commands do (ex: two clicks on and off means come, three means dinner time, ect). So long as they are food motivated there is no limit to what they can learn! 

As for the one being potentially blind and deaf: that certainly adds in another layer, and everything is going to have to be done by feel. I would for sure keep them limited to a small area for the time being and take extra care not to move things around. Over time I would think they will just memorize where things are. When they inevitably get adopted, teach the new family to do the same (start out with a very small space and then slowly expand it). I don't know if there is any research on this, but I wonder if doing harness and leash training would help and blind and deaf cat. I would think that, in doing so, they would have a safe way to explore new areas with the owner  gently correcting their path should they start to walk into something. It may at least be worth trying! I think another good idea is for them to have a seeing/hearing feline companion that can "help" them navigate the world on their level. I'm sure you have also heard stories of remarkable animal pairs who rely on each other this way so it's definitely a possibility! Finally, if you haven't already StephenQ would be a great one to talk to since he has a blind cat who seems to function perfectly normally. 

The only other thing I know (since I have a white cat myself who I feared would be deaf until I learned he is not truly albino) is that albinos are more prone to skin cancer because the lack of pigment in their skin doesn't provide any protection. Given the other circumstances I don't think they are going to be roaming free outdoors at any point but they should also be deterred from sitting in direct sunlight (by providing adequate alternative or keeping the shades down). 

I can feel in your writing how deeply you care for them and their wellbeing so if nothing else keep this in mind: whether they end up being blind, deaf, or both, these two have absolutely the best situation possible going for them. They have a Mom who is clearly very nurturing and is doing everything that she can to help teach them to be self sufficient. And, they are in a foster home who is going to do everything possible to teach them and socialize them so that they have the best possible chance, and who is going to go above and beyond in finding their "just right" forever families. I know I am not giving you a lot of factual stuff to go off of but sometimes science and research just isn't as advanced as Mother Nature and a living beings desire not just to survive but to thrive. And, I have no doubt that these kittens will be fine because they have so much love and support. They don't know that there are things that they "shouldn't" be able to do. So, give them consistency and patience and I know that they will go above and beyond and surprise us all! 

Keep up the amazing work. You are truly changing lives! 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
There have been other posts for deaf blind kittens and cats since I joined last summer and if your kittens thrive and grow well I believe they should be able to learn and find ways to understand their world.  Cat vision is not one of their key senses, and even if completely deaf as well as blind they can learn do compensate very well with senses of smell, touch and awareness of vibration which can give very acute messages about surroundings - objects, movement, noise and their own position in relation to these.  They should also be able to learn touch communication just like people do.  Use play that focusses on the senses they do have and remember that these senses will be super acute and do not need amplified for the kittens - subtle is probably best.  They will learn the scent of animals and humans around them so keep your scents as constant as you can and avoid perfumed stuff which might be too much for them and mask other smells they need to be aware of.  Have a look at the articles on deaf cats and blind cats  on the site too, and piece the ideas together if you think at least one of the kittens is deaf blind.

They look precious and are precious.  I hope they stay well and grow healthy with you. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much @EB24  and @MServant  for your lovely, thoughtful posts and encouraging words. 
 How nice it is to have this, so caring and understanding.

First thing is, I am thinking they are both blind, not just the one. The little girl is more spunky and active than the little boy. At this young age it is hard to know anything for sure, but my dh and I spent quite a bit of time with them today doing some tests and have pretty much concluded that they are both blind. It's tricky to figure out tests that won't give them anything to go on, no air movements, nothing to give their other senses any hints at all, and we watched them for a good hour after placing just the 2 of them in a small playtime area we built for kittens who get their daily romp and exercise out of their systems once they start their play mode of developing.

Somehow they did find each other, not really sure if they heard one another, or one heard, or they could smell the other one was there, but they did know the other was there. We watched as they both would toddle around, investigate the toys, scope the area and walls of the space, seeming to get so close until their tiny front whiskers touched the sides and they knew to stop and go the other way.

We also made the decision that these 2 kids must NOT be separated, they need each other tremendously and I won't allow them to be adopted alone without the other.

As for how I conduct my rescue groups fostering/adoptions, I take them in, cats, newborns, kittens, moms with litters, injured, sick, abandoned, malnourished, whatever the case be.  The fosters will be given any who are fine, stable and well, and foster them through until they are adopted. This is normally through our adoptions we have each weekend at our local Petco store.

All who are NOT ready to leave my home stay and I get them well, or healed, or fattened up, healthy, old/big enough and weaned, and ready for spay/neuters then sent to fosters until they are adopted.

However, often times kittens here never make it to Petco, I am contacted via my postings from people interested, I send them applications, and review and pre-approve them for the right fit cat/kitten for their homes.

I'm pretty particular, I don't get paid for this nor do we make money, it's all about being a voice for cats who have no voice or choices. I want what is best for them, so I'm extremely thorough. I need to feel good about an adoption. I make no bones about nicely saying, "your 2 year old is not fit for a kitten so young, he will be hurt or treated incorrectly and it's not fair for the kitten, what about an older adult cat who has lots of exposure to kids and will be able to escape if needed" type things. lol~

These 2 will not be going to petco, they will be with me until just the right person or family comes along who are going to forever be dedicated to these special little kiddles. While I have wonderful volunteers who work our adoptions, I must be the one to interview any prospective adopters for them.

I have also thought possibly harness training them at a very early age may be to their advantage. They will be comfortable wearing it, if started early on. I think they will memorize their surroundings alot easier too.

Start in a small room, where it is soft and safe, with different height surfaces, and take one chair or table or sofa at a time, let them be near one and sort of set them on it, then off, like that. So they learn the heights and feel, it's actually kinda cool in a way, and it doesn't make me sad for them really. They don't have a clue that anything is off, it will be as natural as momma is to them. Well okay maybe a little, just for their disadvantage, and what they will never be able to see I suppose. They are both really touching kids, hold them close and they are so content. 

I do hope though, that they can hear. I think if not, it is going to be a tougher road. Blind is one thing, or deafness, but both? Well, it is whatever it is, either way they will still do fine I'm sure of it.

You know what? I need help naming them. They should have exceptional names. I must say too, they look identical! I mean exactly the same. Just different personalities, showing already at 3 weeks old. 

I love what I do you guys!  It's nearly 2 am, time for bed. Long day today, cats of course, what else?!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about Paloma (Dove in Spanish) and Pinot (Pinot Grigio)

Paloma and Pinot?

I need sleep :)!!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@catwoman707 As you may know I have a blind from birth cat named Jenny (link in sig) and she is the happiest cat i know!  Yes she uses her other senses to get around, but touch is used over hearing for navigation.  However, the most important "sense" that she uses for getting around isn't actually a sense per se, its "spacial memory".  I can give you example after example of when she knows exactly when to turn left or right, or jump up etc, so that will figure into your cat's lives as well.

So of course as they start to explore their world they will benefit from consistency, and your help in learning what is safe to jump down from, and how to jump up on things like furniture.  Every blind cat develops their own way of interacting.  If she is blind and deaf, you may have to work harder to provide enrichment.

Beautiful babies!

Stephen

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

First thing is, I am thinking they are both blind, not just the one. The little girl is more spunky and active than the little boy. At this young age it is hard to know anything for sure, but my dh and I spent quite a bit of time with them today doing some tests and have pretty much concluded that they are both blind. It's tricky to figure out tests that won't give them anything to go on, no air movements, nothing to give their other senses any hints at all, and we watched them for a good hour after placing just the 2 of them in a small playtime area we built for kittens who get their daily romp and exercise out of their systems once they start their play mode of developing.
Our vet uses a cotton ball. A cotton ball is so light, there is little air movement, and it doesn't make a sound when it hits the floor.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
For names using names that have definite sounds at the start which have different vibragtions might be useful and they will be able to differentiate sound they can pick up more easily if partial hearing is there, and use the vibration using other senses.

Two nice ones I can think of like this are Zawadi which means gift or present, and Hazina which means treasure in  Swahili.   You could just as easily use any names starting in a similar way - like Xander (zzander) and Hannah.

The low vibrating ZZZ and harder, sharper Ha  sounds could work like this, and the words have lovely and appropriate meaning.  

A friend took me to meet a friend of theirs in Tanzania who had just had a baby and they had named their little boy Zawadi - which is how I learned that word. I love playing around on Google Translate to come up with names and have come with a number of my cats and other pet names that way.

Kittens have an amazing ability to learn and adapt, and in the protected environment of a supportive home I believe they have a really good chance of living active and really rich lives. 
  I wish you did not live so far away, I would love to meet them...

@cocheezie that information about the cotton ball is really usefull.  Would be good to try it with different colours and in different light or on different backgrounds as well as may see some things and not others.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

A laser toy works really well to test for blindness.  No air movement at all.
Yes, did that today. Nothing.

Still very hard to tell if there is any hearing between them.

For instance I might have mentioned how we put the pair in the play area yesterday, only them and small toys.

They were each cruising about slowly, checking things out, smells, etc. but it took hardly any time at all for them to find each other and stayed fairly close.

However, that could be smell too.

I suppose I will have to give it another week or so of developing to determine who's what here, my dh did however turn on a vacuum by them, no reaction but the other kittens were caged still and a few reacted, others didn't. It wasn't very loud though either, maybe wouldn't startle them anyway.

@MServant, great  names, and the tip for google translating is great, I will check it out now, thanks!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could also try training them with sound and see who "learns".  If they enjoy their meals, ring a bell or clink the bowl with a spoon right before you serve, and in a few days, see who comes when you ring, and who doesn't....

loopycann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I so love your dedication attitude and spunk.You give inspiration,energy and (balls- sorry,I could 'nt find another word that would do like this one) and we need that going forth facing the situations, decisions,and having the courage to do what is required of 'rescuing the helpless little ones'whose kitty voices aren't as energetic and forceful as ours can certainly be.Thank you for all you do.And please,keep the kitties from becoming kids toys.:D

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I so love your dedication attitude and spunk.You give inspiration,energy and (balls- sorry,I could 'nt find another word that would do like this one) and we need that going forth facing the situations, decisions,and having the courage to do what is required of 'rescuing the helpless little ones'whose kitty voices aren't as energetic and forceful as ours can certainly be.Thank you for all you do.And please,keep the kitties from becoming kids toys.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your saying.

I won't allow anyone who has young kids to adopt any kittens from my rescue as it is, even changed the adoption forms to clearly state that children under 5 yrs old in the home means I can reject approving the parents for this reason only, just so they know up front that is my policy, and for damn good reasons.

This is in the case of wanting to adopt a kitten, they get mauled, picked up by their little arms, their head, tails, dropped, toys smacking them, no fault of the kids of course, as they will learn as they grow the correct way to treat animals (well hopefully!) and I will recommend a teenager or adult if it feels okay, you can get a feel for people and how well behaved they are at adoptions.

But these 2???!! There isn't a chance in hell they will be going home with anyone unless they are near perfect/ideal in my mind and heart.  They should be with a couple without kids, maybe one works from home, who are loving, very neat (for obvious reasons) who have prior experience with cats, where they will be pampered, indoors for life, who want to discuss with me all of the possible issues and how-to's, and so on.

No other cats or dogs at all, and no plans to get one either. These 2 they will treat as their children. Own their home, so no chance of moving like renters do, know about nutrition, all that! Haha good luck to whoever comes to inquire :)

Just kidding, but not really!............Thanks :)

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@catwoman707: I have been following this thread and I have all the admiration for what you do. I have a curiosity: why no other cats? For the hypothetical future family. I mean, I am thinking that maybe another cat could help those two adjust better? I have no experience with special needs kitties (or fostering, for that matter) and all I know about blind/deaf kitties is from what I've read or seen in youtube.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@catwoman707: I have been following this thread and I have all the admiration for what you do. I have a curiosity: why no other cats? For the hypothetical future family. I mean, I am thinking that maybe another cat could help those two adjust better? I have no experience with special needs kitties (or fostering, for that matter) and all I know about blind/deaf kitties is from what I've read or seen in youtube.
This is a very good point actually. I guess I'm thinking of how young they are, and they have each other, while if there was already a resident cat there, especially a female, she will not be very happy with a pair of young kittens invading her space. 

Not always, but the majority of the time it is the case. Haha, maybe I'm thinking too protective for them. 

Or maybe it's because I get emails from people who adopted from me in the past telling me about the problems they are having with their long time resident cat, who they THOUGHT would be great having a companion, and things are not going smoothly at all. 

I suppose it's not out of the question but I would rather they were the only kids. It would have to be a pretty special cat to NOT put them through some drama, at least at first.

I don't know, theyre only 3 weeks old now, and just so naiive :) 

Protective momma you think?! haha

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
* */I often use words from different languages that I like both the meaning and sound of.  In Swahili 

I suppose it's not out of the question but I would rather they were the only kids. It would have to be a pretty special cat to NOT put them through some drama, at least at first.

I don't know, theyre only 3 weeks old now, and just so naiive :) 

Protective momma you think?! haha
Protective - yeh.  Over protective?   
   You never know, maybe someone would take 3 or 4  if any of the siblings are really close with them.  You can always dream.   They will be hard to part with I fear.... 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

* */I often use words from different languages that I like both the meaning and sound of.  In Swahili 

Protective - yeh.  Over protective?   
   You never know, maybe someone would take 3 or 4  if any of the siblings are really close with them.  You can always dream.   They will be hard to part with I fear.... 
Nooooo, don't say those words! Haha....I've been thinking that very same thing myself, but in denial................nooo, can't do it...........nooo........

Oh, and no siblings. Momma only had the 2, identical for sure. They do have 2 surrogate sibs, that cutsie little tabbie who got his head stuck in the cage door, and the all grey puffball :) 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Yip, that's the sib's I'm thinking of. 
  If they are like human siblings they will teach their little partners in crime all the things they need to know but you'd rather they didn't, and some stuff you do.  If my numptie and myshka are protective and don't flatten the little white ones too often it might be an option.  I wish I was near to where you are, I'd so love to help out. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yip, that's the sib's I'm thinking of. 
  If they are like human siblings they will teach their little partners in crime all the things they need to know but you'd rather they didn't, and some stuff you do.  If my numptie and myshka are protective and don't flatten the little white ones too often it might be an option.  I wish I was near to where you are, I'd so love to help out. 
Ooo those cute little chunky muffins, they drive me crazy with their darn cuteness! Seriously, I mean let's face it, has there ever been a not-cute kitten at 4 weeks? Not any I've ever seen. But just sometimes a kitten or 2 give me that oooooooow feeling when I see them, I suppose that's what the term cuteness overload means! Too cute to remain calm! Haha hilarious.

That's what that pair do for me :) I've just GOT to get a good pic of the little grey puffy bear so you will see what I mean.

They're also about a week older then the white pair, a good 5 days or so anyway, which is a decent amt at this young age of constant development and changing, so yep, they are in the earlier stages of wrestle mania, where the white pair are not quite there.

I wish you were near me too! Great for me, might be not so great for you, unless you can add a few/many new additions to the house! .Some are so hard to resist.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I wish I lived in a big house and could have  pile of cats.....  I'd have got 2 cats when I adopted Mouse if I had space and one was available, and then if I had a big place I'd add if they got on with each other and each cat could have their own place there....  fostering yes, love to but fear I'd end up keeping a lot of them!  Maybe one day in another life when I'm rich....  I get completely lost in watching little kittens develop and learning their essential cat skills and their personalities starting to shine.  Amazing:  I'd do that all day every day if I could.  Dream on......  
    and doing that with special kittens and cats that maybe wouldn't have the same chance somewhere else would be even more special. Every living creature being able to reach their optimum potential and being in the best home they can be, leading fulfilling lives.

I honestly believe that even if your kittens are both deaf and blind they can play, and feel love, and learn to be little cats able to satisfy their cat instincts and feel safe in the world.  They just need to be in the right place, and your little guys are with you, with a fur mom and have other little kittens around them:  I can't imagine anywhere better for now.