2 of my birdies

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is Cochise, one of my cockatiels..he loves shower time. He always does the shower dance. I had the water real nice and warm today and I think they all loved that!

Here is the baby Coconut. She never really liked bath time but she did today.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, wet birdies
how cute!
I've never owned any but watching the wild ones splash around in the bird bath is entertaining.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw that's superb and lovely

I give Jasper (Senegal parrot) a bath with a spray bottle set on medium to fine spray, is that how you do it with yours? I had a budgie once who liked to bathe himself in about an inch of still water (while we were around to supervise of course, just in case), but I have also seen pictures of parrots enjoying taking their bath under a running tap or even in the shower! Not going in the shower with Jasper, I think I would end up needing surgery

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also use a spray bottle..I don't have time to take them in the shower and I like my water hot hot hot! I do have a thing for them in the bathroom where I can take them to be sprayed but usually I just do it when they are in the cage.

I tried the dish and the bottom and Cochise just looked at it, stepped in and climbed back up. I guess he likes it when I spray him. He almost hangs upside down doing the shower dance...

I have a friend who uses a water mister attached to a water hose. It's pretty cool! She has a great setup though for her birdies.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

aww, how cute. I didnt know you could bathe birds...well there you go you learn something new every day
Not only can you bathe birds, but it's essential to their health and happiness! They need to have their feathers clean and in good condition, and most wild birds will bathe daily in water, or if there is no water available will have a dust bath.

They absolutely love the opportunity to bathe, the best way to do it is if you set the spray to fine droplets and aim it above them so it falls on them like rain. They do indeed do a 'shower dance', where they spread their wings out to catch the drops, raise all their feathers up so that the water soaks through them, and shake and shimmy up and down their perch. Then they will hang upside down to ensure a full soaking on each side. They usually scream and shriek with excitement and many birds will get very excited about the sound of running water.

I don't bathe Jasper much in the winter because there are a few draughts in the flat and a wet bird in a draught can very quickly be a dead bird, but in summer I usually spray him every few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are all molting right now so blech! I am probably going to do it again tomorrow, it's supposed to be nice and warm, 67! WOOHOO
They don't like the dishes much, lazy bums! I have to mist and I do that, mist over them so it falls on them and they just love it..well most of the time. I find that if i do it first thing, they aren't too happy so I do it at about noon to give them time to preen and get dry before bed time.