2 Of My 4 Cat “brothers” Not Getting Along

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I’ve had all 4 kitties under one roof for about 5 or 6 months now. The oldest, Otis, is an orange tabby and definitely likes his attention and has spunky/curious personality. Fairly outgoing and playful as well! He is about 1 year old now and has never been aggressive or hostile aside from first introductions with the other boys in the house. Then there is Richard. He is about 10 months old, and a Bengal/Siamese mix. Almost 100% bengal in appearance with a Siamese personality. Very vocal, needy, loyal, and affectionate toward humans he trusts. He was introduced to the household while two of my other boys were already established here. My two oldest boys were already neutered at the time of introductions. Richard has ongoing health issues including chronic URI symptoms so we delayed the neuter process until he was a little over 8 months old. This was per vet recommendation otherwise I would not have waited so long! So while he reached sexual maturity, he began getting a little territorial. He’s always been more athletic and speedy than the other cats, so naturally he took over as “king of the castle” rather quickly even before sexual maturity. Well I think some tensions rose while he was waiting to be neutered because there was some borderline aggressive play or fighting going on (hard to tell which since they are so young). Now a few months have gone by and all 4 of my cats, including Richard, are neutered and given lots of attention throughout the day. There are 4 large litter boxes for them to use and we clean them 2-3 times per day. The apartment is a tad small but we have window perches, a 6 foot cat tree, and lots of toys. We also have two water fountains for them! Well Richard and Otis the two spunky “loud”, outgoing cats seems to be getting into little hissing matches lately. They are very spread out, maybe once or twice per week, but I’ve been paying closer attention this week and Otis seems to be afraid of Richard and only hisses if he feels attacked or threatened. Otis is a big cat and usually not the shy type so it’s weird to see. Richard will hiss of Otis is using his toys or if I’m playing with a cat dancer toy and Otis is getting his turn with it. Richard also gets borderline too rough with the other two cats but I think it’s just the older, stronger, faster brother forgetting his own strength most of the time because he also grooms them occasionally and plays nice most of the time. So I just don’t want to ignore the fact that Otis seems afraid of Richard and will run away into the other room if Richard is playing with a larger interactive toy with me and running all over the place. Almost like he’s afraid Richard will go after him or run into him. Otis also has been spending more time in our bedroom in the small cat hammock away from the other cats which might be a coincidence but I figured I would mention it. Am I being paranoid? Will I have to reintroduce Richard and Otis slowly? They have been living together for several months now so I’m in unfamiliar territory if I have to do something like that.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
A couple things, Otis has been to the vet lately?

Are you intervening when Richard gets too rough with the other two? You said borderline, I'm thinking it could go either way and could calm a bit with greater maturity but could become rougher.

Can you use music for Otis?

Regarding richard's behavior about toys;
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s natural that you want your cats to have good relationship, but the truth is that you don’t have a full control over it. And good relationship in your language may mean different thing in their language. You have four male youngsters, it’s natural they can get rough with each other and possibly, Richard just shows Otis what his social status is in his view and it may be ok with both of them, probably you won’t know yet. I would relax, wait, and observe with pleasure the live Animal Channel stream that you have a privilege of having in your home. I wouldn’t intervene in anything unless there is blood. I see no ground for reintroduction whatsoever. Hopefully Otis will not end up stressed with Richard possibly being dominant but it’s too early to say to what extent it could bother him- hopefully not at all. Prepare yourself for more shifts in their relationship as well, they are still figuring things out. They may not end up being best friends but do they have to? Just make sure they both get lots of love and attention from you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
A couple things, Otis has been to the vet lately?

Are you intervening when Richard gets too rough with the other two? You said borderline, I'm thinking it could go either way and could calm a bit with greater maturity but could become rougher.

Can you use music for Otis?

Regarding richard's behavior about toys;
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)
So I paid closer attention to everyone this weekend since I do not work on weekends. I made sure to spread my attention around as evenly as I could. I also made sure to give Otis some extra love since I feel like he has been getting the short end of the stick lately. Richard had been sick a few months ago, then he got neutered, and overall he is just a more vocal and needy cat (he's half bengal, half siamese)!! So I think that some of the tension was just Otis feeling threatened by his shortage of attention and quality time with me. Otis and I have a special bond since he was our first cat.

Needless to say that this weekend there were no "fights" or rough play, just some normal playing and running around. There was also a little more positive interaction than usual between all 4 cats (grooming, cuddling, etc.). Not sure if it is a coincidence, but the answer to my issue might be dividing my attention more evenly. I think it will take some practice since we have 4 cats, but I am willing to keep learning and growing as a cat dad! :)