2 months old 800 gram shelter cat-probably domestic black

Zhala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 months old 800 gram cat. Where I live the most quality food I can find is Pro-plan kitten. I give hime 3 times a week Proplan wet junior and rest of days Proplan kitten dry wood but fully soaked in water. How many grams he needs right now? And I am confused about dry and wet food matters. If I am soaking dry food in water isn't it enough hydration? Pls help me on this matter. I receive mixed advices and very confused :( He will be middle height cat(bigger than most cats). Also should I give him once a month cooked chicken? I am not sure about raw meet. Pls help!

Attachments

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 2 months old 800 gram cat. Where I live the most quality food I can find is Pro-plan kitten. I give hime 3 times a week Proplan wet junior and rest of days Proplan kitten dry wood but fully soaked in water. How many grams he needs right now? And I am confused about dry and wet food matters. If I am soaking dry food in water isn't it enough hydration? Pls help me on this matter. I receive mixed advices and very confused :( He will be middle height cat(bigger than most cats). Also should I give him once a month cooked chicken? I am not sure about raw meet. Pls help!
With my kittens I just let them have as much dry food as they want. Keep some in the bowl for it to snack on whenever it wants. Kittens go through a lot of food because they are putting it into growing. If they don't get enough to eat they can become stunted. I would also not soak the food in water but instead make sure they have water available all the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zhala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With my kittens I just let them have as much dry food as they want. Keep some in the bowl for it to snack on whenever it wants. Kittens go through a lot of food because they are putting it into growing. If they don't get enough to eat they can become stunted. I would also not soak the food in water but instead make sure they have water available all the time.
He has two water container in the two room apartment. I also heard kitten has hard to chew dry food so you have to soak them in water then slowly decrease the water. Isnt that correct? He like it soaked in the water

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
3 times a week Proplan wet junior and rest of days Proplan kitten dry wood but fully soaked in water.
Hi. Given his age, he needs to eat whenever he wants. There is nothing wrong with soaking the dry food in water for meals during the day since you are only giving him wet food 3 times a week. But, I would also leave out dry food all the time for him to eat in between meals without soaking it as well. He should get at least 3-4 meals a day, aside from any dry you leave out. If he ends up preferring the soaked dry over the dry, feed him an additional meal or two a day. If you want to give him cooked chicken once a month, or even once a week, that should be fine.

EDIT: The size of the dry could make a difference in chewing, but probably not, especially if it is kitten food which is usually smaller in size.

Last edited:

Zhala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Given his age, he needs to eat whenever he wants. There is nothing wrong with soaking the dry food in water for meals during the day since you are only giving him wet food 3 times a week. But, I would also leave out dry food all the time for him to eat in between meals without soaking it as well. If you want to give him cooked chicken once a month, or even once a week, that should be fine.

EDIT: The size of the dry could make a difference in chewing, but probably not, especially if it is kitten food which is usually smaller in size.
they are smaller in size compare to cat food. he could just easily make transition from milk to dry food?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
he could just easily make transition from milk to dry food?
If he likes the dry soaked in water, I see no harm in doing that at all. You just want to serve it as meals and not let dry soaked in water sit out for a whole lot of hours in order to avoid bacteria. If he eats it all when you serve it - or shortly thereafter - that is fine. He is little enough he should get at least 3-5 meals a day. The dry being left out is just in case he gets hungry in between meals. He needs to eat all he wants to eat at this age.

Zhala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sometimes stays hours :( I can just freely let him it dry food with no soaking? I am afraid of his age. I found very sick cat with few tooth who couldn't eat dry food, because couldn't chew and was vomiting after eating dry food :( So I am scared after this event of dry foods :( Then I also read that dry food is better than wet food. Additionally, how much normally he should it so I can monitor the food consumption?

Zhala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
how much normally he should it so I can monitor the food consumption?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dry is not really better than wet in the long term. And, the fact that your kitten likes the dry soaked in water is perfectly fine. If he doesn't eat it all in one sitting, or within the next 2-3 hours, then serve him less and feed him more often. There is no hard and fast rule about how much to feed him, it is kind of a learning process to see how much they eat when they are this little. You can measure how much you give him and how much he eats over the course of a day, but right now, as I said before it is pretty much letting him eat all he can handle.

How often are you feeding him now, and how much at one time?

Zhala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dry is not really better than wet in the long term. And, the fact that your kitten likes the dry soaked in water is perfectly fine. If he doesn't eat it all in one sitting, or within the next 2-3 hours, then serve him less and feed him more often. There is no hard and fast rule about how much to feed him, it is kind of a learning process to see how much they eat when they are this little. You can measure how much you give him and how much he eats over the course of a day, but right now, as I said before it is pretty much letting him eat all he can handle.

How often are you feeding him now, and how much at one time?
I cannot weight the food but can say that he eats about 5-6 my palms of dry food. Each palm is about 60 gram on the internet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 months old 800 gram cat. Where I live the most quality food I can find is Pro-plan kitten. I give hime 3 times a week Proplan wet junior and rest of days Proplan kitten dry wood but fully soaked in water. How many grams he needs right now?

You just feed kittens as much as they will eat daily. Some kittens can eat nearly their entire weight in food. A few small meals daily is ideal. Kittens have big appetites but little tummies. Don't worry about food amounts now. Just provide a bowl of dry food for free feeding and wet food meals a few times a day if possible. Wet food can be left out all day. It's a cooked product so it won't spoil but do throw away uneaten food at the end of the day.

The food package lists calorie information. It's usually listed a kcal per can or cup. What does it say on the pcakges of wet and dry food you have? Are you in Europe?