2 Month Old Kitten Vomitting, Not Eating/drinking, Very Lethargic.

katelynswisher13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. So I adopted my baby Jasper about a week and a half ago. From the start of when we got him he was a very energetic playful kitten. When we adopted him we were instructed to give him baytril because he had a minor infection. he was eating normally, acting perfect up until last night. He vomited several times throughout the night and the entire day he was very lethargic and week. i rushed him to the vet and they said they think he was having a poor reaction to the baytril. They gave him fluids and B12 and gave me special canned food for him to recover. He hasn’t eaten all day or drank still. I tried to syringe feed him the food and he threw it up. I managed to syringe feed him a little water tho. I am very worried about my kitty. Do you think he’s just having a reaction? if so how long will this last? please someone i need answers.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get him back to the vet for sub-q fluids. Dehydration can kill him.

It sounds like it may be more than a reaction. He may have panleukopenia (distemper). It’s survivable, but needs lots of medical intervention.

Get unflavored pedialyte to syringe into him until you get to the vet. Vet needs to give an anti-nausea drug as well.

Poor baby!

K katelynswisher13

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree if you cant get to the vets continue with pedialyte.
Also pedialyte does contains glucose sugar so if necessary it alone will keep him alive a couple of days.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign::alright: Welcome to TCS, Katelyn & baby Jasper! I agree with SArthur2 and StefanZ. Jasper is at an age where he is losing the immunities that he got from his mother's milk. I am surprised that the vet did not switch him to Biomoxx or another antibiotic. Meanwhile, your mission is to keep Jasper hydrated, as advised earlier. Unflavored Pedialyte (store brands are fine) is excellent but for kittens dilute it 50/50 with filtered or bottled water (good well water is also excellent). If you cannot get Pedialyte, you can make a homemade solution with clean water, salt (pink/himalayan/mineral is best or unrefined sea salt but regular white table salt will do), baking soda and sugar ( I use unbleached sugar such as raw sugar or Zulka which is simply evaporated cane juice). You can find that recipe and other hints at TCS member Hissy's website www.kitten-rescue .com. Be sure to give only tiny amounts of pedialyte at a time - I do just a 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon every 5-10 minutes. I would do just a few drops at first because when they (kids, puppies or kittens) urp up the fluid, they think it is the fluid causing it and not the illness.
Prayers and vibes that little Jasper recovers rapidly. And please keep us updated!
:vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katelynswisher13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So it’s been 2 days since I went to the vet and Jasper isn’t any better :( He has lost a lot of weight. We’ve been giving him the pedialyte since yesterday and syringe feeding him his food but he doesn’t seem to look any better. His eyes have also started to pus. Am I just being impatient? Will his recovery take time? or should i go back to the vet?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes to a vet check! Kittens go downhill fast. I would try a different vet, if it is possible. Pus starting up indicates increasing infection and probably needs an antibiotic. In my work with feral kittens, it seems like a good precaution. You could also ask the human pharmacist if a bad reaction to the antibiotic Baytril would counter-indicate amoxicillin or whatever the other vet prescribes. (I am now allergic to many antibiotics, but can still take azithromycin and sulfasalizine - each time I got an allergy was after at least one time of doing fine on that specific antibiotic).
Some vets have more experience with ferals and are more savvy about the various common local diseases. If you can get in contact with a local rescue group, they may have a good vet to recommend.
Prayers and vibes that your baby makes a speedy recovery!
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: