2 Month Old Kitten Throwing Up

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Luna, my 2 month old kitten who I have had since she was 4 days old is throwing up. She threw up last night, since then she has had two meals and then threw up again. Last night she threw up was in her littler box that I saw this morning. She threw up again now and it was mostly her meal. I am feeding her a mixture of wet and dry food.

She sleeps in my room in a big cardboard box which has holes cut out for air circulation. At night I close the tops loosely so she does not get cold. She wakes up once at night and eats and plays for an hour with me and then goes back to sleep. As my room is cold, could she be sick because of that?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is difficult to say. How is she acting? Is she lethargic or sleeping more? Is she still eating well? Is she peeing and pooping normally?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pee and poop is normal. She has been sleeping more than she does but when she is awake she is very active. She has not gained any weight in the last 3-4 days...will monitor more closely. She has been eating fine, 5 - 6 times a day about a big tablespoon of wet and dry food.

I just gave her a tsp of wet food mixed with pedialite. Hopefully she won't throw up.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The pedialyte is excellent. If she continues to throw up you’ll need to get her to the vet.

Initially, my thoughts are that she could be eating too fast or too much, or perhaps certain flavors or brands do not agree with her.

Hopefully it’s not a virus. There are some viruses that begin with vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy, and those can be life-threatening if not treated immediately. Panleukopenia comes to mind.

Not gaining weight is a red flag.

Please keep us posted!

N New mom

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I switch her back to goat milk mixed with pedialite or keep giving her wet food with pedialite.?

She has been sleeping a lot today too. She will be 60 days on 6th June and is weighing at 762 grams today. She has been on the low weight side since birth.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would continue with offering wet food with pedialyte, as often as she will eat it.

Has she kept down what you gave her earlier?

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's 3 hours since she ate and has not thrown up. I did give her 3 tbs of goat milk with pedialite about half an hour back, she is up and running around again.

I will keep her on the wet food for now and see if that helps.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is good to hear!

It sounds like she is able to enjoy both the goat milk and the wet food with pedialyte.

The only reason I eschewed the milk was because it might not agree with an already upset tummy.

Carry on! :)

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Had another 1.5 tbs of wet food and 1.5 tbs of goat milk with pedialite. No throw up yet. Had a long nap and now is up and attacking anything that moves...including my poor iPad.

Think will keep her out of the a/c tonight no. Hope she feels better soon. If something happens to her it would be sooooo hard, just lost my 10 year old cocker spaniel, not ready to loose another one.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she has turned the corner!

Do you leave food for her overnight? At her little age, she needs to eat small but frequent meals around the clock.

I’m so sorry about your dog. It’s never easy to lose a beloved pet.

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did not leave anything with her ( it might spoil in the heat)but will be up and feed her in another 2 hours. I am giving her smaller meals just more frequently.

I hate to leave her out in the heat, it is very hot (80 deg F), will she be ok if I bring her in the room with temp at 75 deg F.

Thank you Sarthur2 for your kind words. My Delilah did leave a hole as big as her in my heart, can't imagine losing another one.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
N New mom

Oh yes, she will be fine! In fact, too hot is not good for the kitten at all.

She’s like Goldilocks - not too hot, not too cold, but just right! 70’s is perfect! :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not close her in a box with a lid at night. You can add a heating pad on low under half her bed. That way she can get off if she’s too hot, but would have some extra warmth.

Vomiting in the litter box often indicates constipation. Do you see any indication of constipation?

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All better now. Went from 762 grams to 800 grams yesterday. Did not throw up anymore, is eating well, pooping and peeing well. No constipation. Poop looks ok but smells a little bit.

I cannot leave the lid open because she is able to jump out of the box and I don't want her roaming the house all alone at night.

But seems like she is all well now.

Thank you guys for all the amazing advise and experience everyone shared here.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s time to kitten proof a room, or add a baby gate to the doorway if there is no door on the room. She should not be shut in a box.