2 Month Old Kitten on Stairs

ronnieissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I recently adopted a kitten, he is 2 months old but very independent already. He is very playful but loves to snuggle up too. The problem is that i live in an apartment, i have closed off my balcony, but i have open stairs that are about 12ft. I’m currently blocking off, and i have netted the gaps, but i’m worried that the netting will just encourage him to play and fall. I don’t know if he is old enough to safely go up and down the stairs yet, or if i should keep them blocked off. Any advice?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 8 weeks old I would keep the open places netted. When he gets a little older and you take the netting off, be there when you do so if he falls you can help him. Cats are very sure-footed, but kittens are rambunctious and skid and slide with all their energy. Just make sure the holes in the netting are small enough that he can't get his head inside. He is old enough to go up and downstairs, but whether he is old enough to know about heights is another question. you could try just netting off the high rungs so he can 'learn' on the low ones.