2 litters born 10 days apart by same mom

alison wheeldon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat pepsi had 2 kittens 10 days ago one died at birth and the other lasted two days but pepsi didnt want to know it and kept leaving out of he bed. yesterday came in from work to pepsi having 3 kittens first one was still born and the other two doing well. pepsi is looking after them well. Has ant body heard of this?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it happens now and then. NOT common but not that unique.  One of my neighbours had one cat whom was from such a second litter.  I have heard about others too. 

Of course, sometimes you dont know for sure if the first litter was simply premature born.

If premature, their case is always difficult uphill fight, even if the owner/rescuer is fighting on.

Whatever, now you do have two healthy kittens, and a mom who is happy with them, and taking good care of them.  Beaming!

What food are you giving her?  Moms should have extra good nourishing food. Typically tip is kitten food for them.

Please follow up with reports, and come with questions as soon you do have any..   

Welcome to TCS site and our Forums!

Good luck!    *vibes*

ps. Please plan on neutering your cat mom as soon the kittens are weaned.  And watch on her so she doesnt sneak out.  They sometimes gets in new heat 1-3 weeks after delivery.  Them are NOT like human moms in this aspect.  Human moms tend to dont get "in heat" while lactacing.  For cats it doesnt matters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alison wheeldon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks she is on whiskers kitten food and milk, as i read this on the internet. she is booked in to be neutered in four weeks, took her to the vets for her pre check on Tuesday and he didn't feel she had kittens still he checked her well? it was a shock and half when i came in from work. had my two older ones neutered Tuesday as my cats don't go out. Pepsi must have got out some time as she got pregnant thats why i booked them all in to be done  

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may well find he won't neuter her now she is feeding kittens until they are weaned - 8 weeks or maybe more.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You may well find he won't neuter her now she is feeding kittens until they are weaned - 8 weeks or maybe more.
Agree.  It IS possible to neuter while still nursing.  We know this as emergency operations usually dont disturb mom and kittens too much.

But it is of course not our recommendation for normal cases. If it is possible, wait this 8 weeks till you are entirely sure they are weaned / dont need moms milk more.

What is that milk you are giving?  Whiskas cat milk?  You can probably give common low lactose milk instead. Preferably full fat.  Its much cheaper and roughly the same.

If you can find goat milk, you can use it too.   (for some individuals and countries goat milk is easy to get hold on)

Goat milk isnt low lactose, but by some reason it is easier to digest than cow milk.

Good luck!

Last edited:

alison wheeldon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
all three of my cats have always had Shirleys Lactol gold milk  premium milk replacer for kittens, then got them all on to whiskas cat milk. The price has never bothered me as they are my babies, Pepsi was on the Shirleys Lactol gold milk to help builder her up after she lost the two kittens. while the other two Brommie, and scruff have been neutered Tuesday just gone i have put them on it to too help build them up too.

Thank you for the answers and advice it has stopped me worrying, and given me great information

Thank you

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can think of no particularly good reason to give adult cats any kind of milk.  Ever seen a cat with a milking stool?

It is good to give her kitten food, not only for herself but also because the kittens will naturally start eating her food once they get mobile and start to explore their surroundings.  It tends to be a messy business but it's great fun watching them explore and develop.  Neither me or my friends who have raised kittens have found the need to wean them - they have all done it for themselves.  I did vary what the last lot of fosters got fed to include other makes of kitten food, raw mince and cooked white fish.  They also had kitten biscuits as well as wet food.

The funniest thing though was the water bowl - it was stainless steel and as well as being fascinated maybe by the reflections they also didn't seem to be able to spot the water level and every now and then one would accidentally dip it's nose in and jump away!

alison wheeldon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks she is having kitten food and i cant wait till they start doing silly things, they are doing really well and pepsi is doing a grand job she leaves when they are fast asleep and when they cry she seems to know if its need you mom or feed time or i am a bit mardy. i have never had kittens before because always had my girls neutered, so this is a new experience for me. the information is fantastic that every one has given me 

thanks

munchkin1021

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sounds like she went into preterm labor with 2, and then 10 days later, had the 2nd half of her litter. its not really 2 litters, because they were growing inside her at the same time. good luck with the survivors. 

alison wheeldon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
GREAT NEWS day 4 for my two little kittens, feeling good and they are so healthy, Mother doing a good job. they were pushing each other earlier and trying to climb over each other making a noise when pepsi (mom) came in gave a deep per and they stopped curled up and went to sleep very good children she has got, enjoying every moment with them all.

foster wilson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I foster cat/kittens and specialize in those that are ill, injured or may have other problems, such as needing socialized. I have a foster cat in labor as we speak. She did give birth nearly two weeks ago ow to two very premature babies that did not live. So far now she has had one very healthy baby. I know from her vet check and x-ray after having the first two that she has three to deliver. So YES, this can happen, it is rare. Good Luck to you and Pepsi. :)

ReneeMcGraw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat gave birth 10 days ago to 5 healthy kittens and is currently pregnant with 2 babies from a different litter. She is in labor now. This is very possible.

Irishdragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
alison wheeldon, I'm having the same problem at my house, I have one momma cat who gave birth to 4 kittens but, only 2 survived and she wouldn't feed them just hissed at them so I had to bottle feed. But, I found out that my other cat my baby had 3 babies that I didn't know until she brought them home and put them under the truck. She saved them from being drowned.AFTER I heard little meows I brought them inside from the rain, they are about 2 weeks old. So now she's foster mother to 2 baby kittens and her own 3 babies kittens. Then, a week and half later this momma cat who already gave birth to her baby kittens 3 weeks ago just gave birth again to one baby kitten that was very very little, skin paper thin" and no fur and NO genitals. I have never experience anything like this and hop u never will again. They are being fixed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
alison wheeldon, I'm having the same problem at my house, I have one momma cat who gave birth to 4 kittens but, only 2 survived and she wouldn't feed them just hissed at them so I had to bottle feed. But, I found out that my other cat my baby had 3 babies that I didn't know until she brought them home and put them under the truck. She saved them from being drowned.AFTER I heard little meows I brought them inside from the rain, they are about 2 weeks old. So now she's foster mother to 2 baby kittens and her own 3 babies kittens. Then, a week and half later this momma cat who already gave birth to her baby kittens 3 weeks ago just gave birth again to one baby kitten that was very very little, skin paper thin" and no fur and NO genitals. I have never experience anything like this and hop u never will again. They are being fixed.
I understand the points of the story. But this latest, peculiar kitten, was it stillborne, or is it alive, and you are fighting to save the life?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
IF the premature kitten is still alife, be sure there is higher humidity in the room, and its keept warm. IR-heating lamps are good and useful.
You will probably need to handfeed it. Use needleless syringe. Raw goats milk is good.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I always recommend that pregnant cats stay inside so they do not deliver babies out of doors.

Thankfully the other mom is taking care of all the kittens!