2 day old kitten!!! HELP!!

Kitten3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my momma cats had babies may 9th its been over 100 degrees here in texas!! Long story short momma wouldnt take them i didnt even know she was pregnant she never showed signs and her nipples werent even bare like most mommas!! So i had to take all 4 in one died last night i stimulated the other 3 again this morning and one was pooping red brown out instead of yellow from the formula hes acting the same as the others always trying to nurse my fingers and moves around in the box!! If its blood what should i do they are only 2 days old!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Where is the mother cat now? Is this her first litter? Try enclosing her in a large crate or bathroom with her kittens (supervised) to see if she will let them nurse and care for them. If not, she needs to be spayed ASAP so this does not happen again.

Which kitten formula are you using? Powdered or pre-mixed? How much and how often are you feeding?

Powdered is best because you can mix it with unflavored Pedialyte instead of water to replenish electrolytes lost through the diarrhea.
K Kitten3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitten3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Momma cat is feral if i try and pick her up she freaks out it is her first litter im using kmr powdered formula ive been feeding them every 2 to 3 hrs even through the night!! I plan on getting her fixed asap

Kitten3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It depended on the kitten they are super tiny babies maybe half an ounce in weight i think she had them prematurely!! At first they ate 1/2 ml now each kitten is increasing there appetite to 2 ml im using a syringe its been easier to use i will switch to bottle when they get a lil bigger but to me a syringe is easier for me to moniter there intake!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Syringe feeding is appropriate for tiny kittens. Are you able to get Pedialyte to mix with their formula instead of water? This should help.

If the diarrhea continues try a few grains of a pro-biotic in the formula, such as Forti-flora.

It sounds like you are doing well so far. I’m glad to hear that you plan to address the feral cat issue. I’m sure you know that ferals can carry parasites and will breed endlessly if not spayed. Their litters are often not born healthy, unfortunately.

Do keep us posted!

Kitten3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes ive got them on a heat pad to keep them warm and something in between them and the heating pad so they dont get burned i even have an old shirt on top of the box to help with keeping the heat in the box!!

Kitten3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Syringe feeding is appropriate for tiny kittens. Are you able to get Pedialyte to mix with their formula instead of water? This should help.

If the diarrhea continues try a few grains of a pro-biotic in the formula, such as Forti-flora.

It sounds like you are doing well so far. I’m glad to hear that you plan to address the feral cat issue. I’m sure you know that ferals can carry parasites and will breed endlessly if not spayed. Their litters are often not born healthy, unfortunately.

Do keep us posted!
Before i forget where can i get this probiotic fortiflora??

Kitten3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have just fed the three baby kittens and stimulated them 2 of them are pooping and peeing normal but the one that i am concerned with keeps having a bloody substance coming from his butt!! It should be yellow because of formula but its not its watery red brown colored!! I have read online that deworming can help i have a dewormer that says can be used for kittens less than a pound it is called homeopet the natural choice feline worm clear drops it does hook worms, round worms, whip worms and tape worms in cats and kittens!! The directions says:
Kittens less than 1 pound 2 drops in at least 8 ounces of water!!
These kittens arent drinking water yet they are bottle fed still i can drop it directly in to mouth as well should i do this for this kitten??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Before i forget where can i get this probiotic fortiflora??
Forti Flora can be found in most pet stores.
The Kitten-Lady link note above also has this product listed for probiotics:
Amazon.com : (3 Pack) Bene-Bac Plus Probiotic Pet Gel 15g Each X 3 Syringes : Pet Supplies

homeopet the natural choice feline worm clear drops it does hook worms, round worms, whip worms and tape worms in cats and kittens!! The directions says: Kittens less than 1 pound 2 drops in at least 8 ounces of water!! These kittens arent drinking water yet they are bottle fed still i can drop it directly in to mouth as well should i do this for this kitten??
The instructions also state it can be added to food, so I think you can add it to their bottles.

Also, if you can, you might want to take a stool sample to the vet and see if they can test for other issues such a giardia and/or coccidia. And, if they would do a fecal PCR test, they could also look for various bacteria, such salmonella, e.coli, campylobacter, or others. Call and ask about the best approach for these tests. And I hate to mention it but you might also consult the vet about looking for viral conditions that would cause blood in the kitten's stool.

Kitten3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you!! Should i just do one drop because of how tiny they are

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok thank you!! Should i just do one drop because of how tiny they are
That question is above my knowledge base, but I probably would feel like you do and only give a drop.

Also, just so you know what the instructions discuss related to administering this med:
"ADMINISTRATION: Optimally, the liquid preparation should be dropped directly into the mucous membrane of the mouth, including lips, ideally in cats by raising the head until the mouth opens. Where an animal finds this distressful or an owner is unable to comply, the medication can be put in the water or milk. In the case that a pet is sensitive to the odor of the alcohol preservative, a 10 to 20 minute period should be allowed for the alcohol to evaporate before the liquid or food is presented to the patient. Occasionally, when dosed directly into the mouth, the animal may shake their heads as a response to the alcohol preservative. Cats may salivate excessively; in these cases, presenting it in food, water or milk alleviates these effects."

I copied this because of the notation about the alcohol evaporation process before placing the med into their formula.

Kitten3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In that small of amount of liquid i would just give the least amount, even a 1/2 drop. I would only give it to the one kitten too.
Yes i planned on it just the one.. one problem theres no way to do 1/2 drop

Kitten3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That question is above my knowledge base, but I probably would feel like you do and only give a drop.

Also, just so you know what the instructions discuss related to administering this med:
"ADMINISTRATION: Optimally, the liquid preparation should be dropped directly into the mucous membrane of the mouth, including lips, ideally in cats by raising the head until the mouth opens. Where an animal finds this distressful or an owner is unable to comply, the medication can be put in the water or milk. In the case that a pet is sensitive to the odor of the alcohol preservative, a 10 to 20 minute period should be allowed for the alcohol to evaporate before the liquid or food is presented to the patient. Occasionally, when dosed directly into the mouth, the animal may shake their heads as a response to the alcohol preservative. Cats may salivate excessively; in these cases, presenting it in food, water or milk alleviates these effects."

I copied this because of the notation about the alcohol evaporation process before placing the med into their formula.
In the directions it says:
Dose remedy directly into mouth, water or meal/snack time
To treat worms administer 3 times a day per day for 14 days
To prevent worms administer 3 times per day for 7 days repeat every 60 days to remove or prevent worms
INDICATIONS:
a natural homeopathic remedy that can aid in and support the removal of tapeworms whipworms roundworms and hook worms. Wrm clear does not kill the worms but can help the animals own immune system remove them from the body. May also aid in recovery from worm effects and detoxify from effects of conventional products. 100% natural no chemicals added no food with drawal..

This is what it says on the box

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes i planned on it just the one.. one problem theres no way to do 1/2 drop
I don't know how big a drop is, or the dropper that was provided, but is there any way to measure out the drop, let the alcohol evaporate, and then dispense half the amount onto your finger and rub into the kitten's gums with a formula syringe chaser?

You can get one down now and wait and see what some of the more experienced members have to say about the dosing, or if perhaps one of them can recommend another product.

Kitten3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know how big a drop is, or the dropper that was provided, but is there any way to measure out the drop, let the alcohol evaporate, and then dispense half the amount onto your finger and rub into the kitten's gums with a formula syringe chaser?

You can get one down now and wait and see what some of the more experienced members have to say about the dosing, or if perhaps one of them can recommend another product.
Here is the product it shows exactly how big the dropper is please review
HomeoPet Wrm Clear Feline 15 ml | 1800PetMeds

Kitten3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im gonna try and rub it on his gums im hoping this will help