2 Cats W/ Previous URIs

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!! I hope everyone is safe and healthy!!

This is a long post— so I apologize!! I have two 9 month old kittens that I rescued in late October. Both had URIs when I took them home and we treated. Both have been fine since then until last week. One of my kittens, Romeo, started squinting his left eye and my husband and I noticed the white third part of eye showing. I thought it could be allergies from switching up litter, so I changed it to unscented, dust free and we gave it two days. Nothing else is wrong with him— he’s happy, eating, playful, social with his brother and us— just his left eye. Yesterday morning we noticed his right eye was showing white and by the afternoon we could tell he was light sensitive. We took him to the vet today and it’s most likely a flare up of URI— but nothing has been stressing him out— as usually flare ups are caused by stress of the cat. We’re unsure why he’s got a flare up and his brother doesn’t? We have him on eye drops, anti viral pill and both kitties are back in powder Lysine. Needless to say, the trip to the vet was more than traumatizing today, so he’s relaxing on our bed now. (I also want to add the vet is checking stool for parasites, as well. They’ve been treated twice for worms and both indoor, so slim possibility it’s a parasite.)

The only 1 thing my husband and I can possibly think that could’ve caused any type of stress is we bought a laser light to play with the cats. They absolutely love it! But Romeo would play until he would pant and have to lay down. Now he no longer lets himself get to that point and we stop playing. Could that be a reason for a URI flare up?? Does anyone have any experience with something like that happening??

I also don’t want to have to bring them to the vet every few months for a flare up and I want to prevent it. Besides lysine, is there something else I can get non prescription to help keep the herpes virus at bay?? I’m intrigued to hear what other people have done. I got great advice on this site regarding a good cat food, so I was hoping to see if anyone could offer any insight!!

Thank you! 🐾🐾

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stress can definitely bring on a flareup of the feline herpes virus, but it is a common ailment of cats, especially kittens. His eye could have a slight injury too, from a scratch etc. It is highly contagious. I get the Lysine treats with DMG, an immune system booster. Play to the point of panting is good, as is all exercise, unless there is a heart problem. Depending on who you talk to, both Lysine and DMG have never been proven in tests, but I have had good luck with both. Just like human supplements that some people swear by. My cats have leukemia and used to get horrible URI's every other month or so, almost to the point of death, but since the supplements, have been symptom-free for 7 months, a record! There is a med on Amazon called Nose Relief for cats, it worked very well during the last crisis. I keep it around now. I think as your kittens get older the URI's will lessen, keeping them inside and away from other infected cats would help a lot too. I really think that unless the URI your kitten has now progresses to nose discharge, eye drainage, and lethargy, it was most likely a scratch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the vet did the iodine test yesterday of both eyes and his corneas were clear of a scratch. I haven’t seen the lysine treat w/ the DMG, but I’ll look into those. We have a tub of the powder now to use up. Thank you!