2 cats, suddenly not getting along

kmpage28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a total of 4 cats, ranging from 3 years old to 4 years old. They have gotten along fine, up until a few days ago. Two of them (SF and NM) aged 7 years and 4 years respectively have suddenly started some nasty and loud fights. Of all 4, they were the two that used to barrel around the house together (I called it race track kitty), they slept on the bed with me, etc. A few days ago they had a fight, deep meows, some screeches etc and then everytime they SAW eachother after that, they would let out the deep meow. They had another "spat" at 5:00 this morning, same reactions. They are walking around "on egg shells" right now. I do have feliway diffusers in my house and have had those for quite a few years, nothing has changed (I haven't moved, I haven't bought new furniture, re-arranged the house, no one new moved in or out, my schedule hasn't changed...NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!). I just can't figure out what happened to cause such tension and aggression between these two....I don't even know what to do when they are looking at eachother growling those deep sounding noises...HELP!!!!!!! How do I get them back to a "happy" place!! It is very upsetting to see them both so upset!!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had the same problem with 2 of my boys, in my case it was because my older boy molasses would see another cat outside and take it out on the cat that was closest to him, really mean nasty attack, but the other cats would just run away from him. But one of my other boys Charlie didn't run, he went back at him and Molasses didn't like that at all. Since that day they haven't been as close as they use to be, as a matter of fact, they just tolerate each other now. As time goes by it gets a little better. Maybe one of them is not well? I've heard that can happen. Someone will be along to give advice. Good luck.

elenae3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I too have the same problem, and don't know what to do. I have 2 cats, they're 3 years old, brothers, that have been inseparable since birth. They are extremely close, grooming each other, cuddling into each other when sleeping, as close as 2 cats can be. 2 Months ago we moved to a new house, to which they adapted right away, and had no problems with. A few days ago they saw another cat in our backyard through the patio door, and they freaked out, and attacked each other, scratched each other's faces and drew blood. I can't have them in the same room anymore, they will hiss, growl, and try to attack each other, I have to keep them in different parts of the house while I'm away at work.

It's so upsetting to have 2 previously inseparable cats that now don't appear to recognize each other and will hurt each other if left together. By reading these forums I found out about the Feliway diffusers, which I will try today, but in the meantime if anyone has ANY advice or suggestions I would really appreciate it.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's never too late to reintroduce the resident cats! "Out of sight, out of mind!" Maybe try separating them from each other completely, giving them different rooms in the house. And then proceed as if they are new cats! After a few days you could give them both a good rub down with a towel or blanket to cover it with their scent and then swap them, eventually letting them around the house individually, see each other through the crack in the door, etc..

I've had to do this a couple of times myself. Though it took a long while, it ended up working really well. They just need to associate the other cats' presence/smell with positive feelings rather than the negative ones they experienced in their fight.

Here's to happy kits!!

sheena13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd definitely try the Feliway & a little Bach's Rescue Remedy, which you can put on their ears, or right in their water. I brought a new cat into the fold & the pecking order went astray & these 2 products helped immensely!

Also, maybe the simple things, like petting them both at the same time & feeding them treats together.

sweetness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought a new cat into the home on February 28th. That following week I put in the diffusers and it didn't seem to do much. Since then they've been introduced and I got up to having them in the same area for about 3 hrs at a time. There have been a few hissing/growling and batting matches.
The diffusers have not been in use for the last month and yesterday I plugged one back in the new cat's room. I also bought to refills today and both diffusers are back in.
I know they are supposed to odorless, but they do emit a noticeable stale sweat-like smell, to my nose; when I tried them the first time after a while the smell made me a bit nauseous, and I wondered if it bothered the cats as well.
I'm going to look into Rescue Remedy.

Has anyone else has negative results with Feliway?

donna wallace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a total of 4 cats, ranging from 3 years old to 4 years old. They have gotten along fine, up until a few days ago. Two of them (SF and NM) aged 7 years and 4 years respectively have suddenly started some nasty and loud fights. Of all 4, they were the two that used to barrel around the house together (I called it race track kitty), they slept on the bed with me, etc. A few days ago they had a fight, deep meows, some screeches etc and then everytime they SAW eachother after that, they would let out the deep meow. They had another "spat" at 5:00 this morning, same reactions. They are walking around "on egg shells" right now. I do have feliway diffusers in my house and have had those for quite a few years, nothing has changed (I haven't moved, I haven't bought new furniture, re-arranged the house, no one new moved in or out, my schedule hasn't changed...NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!). I just can't figure out what happened to cause such tension and aggression between these two....I don't even know what to do when they are looking at eachother growling those deep sounding noises...HELP!!!!!!! How do I get them back to a "happy" place!! It is very upsetting to see them both so upset!!
Oh gosh, I am having the same problem, cats have been together for 3 yrs.  These cats are indoor cats, I have a female calico, and a male tabby, both fixed, both rescues, the female was first, then a year later the tabby, Calico has always been a little sassy, but these cats have gotten along just fine untill 24 hrs ago. There is another cat that has been hanging around outside, male tabby, my cats are indoor cats but have access to a outdoor screened in porch and the Female cat has always hissed at the outdoor cat , however this cat has been around for a few months and comes to visit now and then, the Male tabby seems to like him but she does not...So point being my two indoor cats always got along untill now the Female is very agressive towards the Male if he even comes near her, Very loud hissing and growling she does towards him.....It is very upsetting for them and my husband and I.....nothing else has changed, they have always ate side by side, clean each other, etc....What to do???I know I need to find a home for the stray hanging around, but this is not like it just happen he has been around for a while.

traci332005

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh gosh, I am having the same problem, cats have been together for 3 yrs.  These cats are indoor cats, I have a female calico, and a male tabby, both fixed, both rescues, the female was first, then a year later the tabby, Calico has always been a little sassy, but these cats have gotten along just fine untill 24 hrs ago. There is another cat that has been hanging around outside, male tabby, my cats are indoor cats but have access to a outdoor screened in porch and the Female cat has always hissed at the outdoor cat , however this cat has been around for a few months and comes to visit now and then, the Male tabby seems to like him but she does not...So point being my two indoor cats always got along untill now the Female is very agressive towards the Male if he even comes near her, Very loud hissing and growling she does towards him.....It is very upsetting for them and my husband and I.....nothing else has changed, they have always ate side by side, clean each other, etc....What to do???I know I need to find a home for the stray hanging around, but this is not like it just happen he has been around for a while.

traci332005

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are having the exact same problem! Our 2 indoor cats are familiar with our outside cat. We've had her fixed also. Our cats suddenly cannot be in the same room together. We recently bought 2 diffusers, hoping they'll work. Did your cats get past this?? We don't know what to do!

TripMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our nine year old sibling males had a major falling out after a neighborhood cat stopped by outside the sliding glass door back before Thanksgiving. Suddenly our loving boys weren't. One was attacking while the other ran for his life. Feliway diffusers immediately installed, six weeks completely separated, six weeks of gradual reintroduction, four weeks of monitored visits increased slowly, and now four months later the rift is fully healed. It took a long time and tremendous discipline. If you see any animosity at all, you have to end the visit at that moment. Lots of supervised petting and play time. Highly recommend the Jackson Jupiter approach. See his my cat from hell web site for videos on reintroduction.