2 cats seem to go their own way

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been confining the pregnant stray I brought in a room for a week and didn’t even have any intention to let my resident cat meet each other. Usually my resident cat will sleep with me in the bedroom and wake me up at 3.30am to let her out. I did that not knowing mama cat is out. This morning as I woke up to feed my resident cat, mama cat suddenly walked over to me too which gave me a shock of my life. Like how on earth did she managed to escape the locked room. There’s a window connecting to the toilet which is quite high up and she might’ve jumped out from there..anyways my resident cat was defensive and angry when mama cat walked near. Mama cat on the other hand just wanted to eat her food, in the end I quickly separately them both and fed them each in their rooms. My resident cat originally takes very slowly to eat her food (stupid girl just likes dry food/treats), now she does not even touch it. Meanwhile mama cat has just finished her food and chilling one side enjoying the freedom of the house but not coming near to my resident cat. It’s funny how I didn’t hear cats fighting when they are both outside alone without us for 2 whole hours. I can’t figure this 2 out. So are they living perfectly fine with one another? Should I separate them or should I observe them? Should I just lock mama cat out again? As per picture shown below, they look comfortable looking at each other while lying down.

IMG_0232.jpeg

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Observe. Things could get worse or better if separated. So she hasn't had the kittens yet? How exciting! I have never been in a situation with a pregnant cat and a resident cat

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don’t know. There are cats who, for whatever reason, tolerate one another without much effort. Maybe this is the case with your two.

However, something is a bit amiss if your cat is being affected with her eating, so that is something to watch. And, it might make sense to feed them separately for now.

All you can do is keep a vigilant eye on them being together and be prepared if one reacts negatively to the other. It is worth letting things play out before separating them, IMO.