2 Cats Pee And Poop Outside Of Litter Box.

kemeky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My house is kind of small but it is 2 stories and has a basement, I put the litter boxes in the basement, some poop and pee is in the litter box when I clean it but on the other half of the basement there is tons of poop and pee. My older cat before I got my kitten never did this but since we got the kitten about 1 year ago they both have started doing this (I believe... I'm not sure who is doing it.) How can I stop this, it's driving me crazy!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
The first thing would be to get a vet check up for both of them. Sudden elimination outside of the box can be a sign of illness and, if that's the case, will often correct itself after treatment.

When you clean up the pee and poop, do you use an enzyme cleaner? If not, I'd recommend doing so. Cats can smell the enzymes from their urine long after our noses can't so,they'll keep going back to an inappropriate spot until it's cleaned with an enzyme.

Hope that gives you a possible place to start!

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above advice.
Could you try putting another litter box on that side of the room? Sometimes just adding more boxes helps the issue a lot. Are they both fixed? How often do you clean the boxes? With cats, sometimes when there's more than one they start being "clean freaks" and refuse to go in even a slightly soiled box. It's a pain, but sometimes we have to step up the cleaning. We once had a cat that had to have his box cleaned three times a day or else he would go all around the box, but not in it.
If they are not fixed they could be competing for their smell, marking things.